Money Order problems at Walmart

smjd

Level 2 Member
Have recently had trouble buying money orders at two Wal-marts in the northeast.

At one store where I had previously bought MOs using VGC, the manager said they do not take Visa Debit (Not VGC) for Money Orders anymore.

At another store there was a sign up stating "No money orders at this time".

Anyone else have any data points of wal-marts tightening rules or changes happening w.r.t. money orders at wal-marts?

projectx

Level 2 Member
My go-to WM (midwest) now has a manager that will not split payment. Everyone else does without hesitation. The problem is avoiding the customer service desk if she's around! Otherwise business as usual. So I wouldn't give up on that one store yet.

Not sure what to think about the "no money orders" sign. Regardless, it's getting tighter out there that's for sure.

MouseStomper

Level 2 Member
This must be very cashier dependent. The evening shift at my go-to wm has no problem, but go in the morning and you'll get a speech about how people are using VGCs for criminal activity and they need to protect themselves.

GEN

It's very YMMV but there's no nationwide ban on this method of liquidation as of yet. Haven't seen widespread DPs of this being an issue on reddit. You've tried other walmarts besides just those two, right? It sounds like a regional thing, but I would still wager you could still squeak by (though it'd mean striking out a lot more). Tons of people are lazy or unaware of rules. As always, of course, don't float more in gift cards than you can afford to lose (or not liquidate)!

seespotjump

Level 2 Member
For WM in CA, it seems like business as usual. Your specific case seems like a one off, as opposed to a change in policy. Have you gone back to either WM since your original post?

scdc

I'm in the NE and haven't had any type of problems like that liquidating at WM even as of today. Occasionally a new cashier will show up at the customer service counter and gives me a look like I'm trying to rob the place when I ask for $2k in MOs and tells me some version of "we don't let people buy that much" or "I need to see some ID" or "why are you using gift cards?" I just politely go along with their requests and at worst they call a manager over and the manager allows me to make the purchase and be on my way. Hopefully things have gone better for you since your post.

MouseStomper

Level 2 Member
I've been told so many things at so many different walmarts. If the cards have my name on them I usually have no problem. It's all the others that create a hassle.

twiga

The 'rule' at WM really varies a lot. You will notice that one store can be friendly, while the other one 2 min down the road is not. A change of management can also completely turn the tide. Lots of trial and error, and getting a feel of the place. And always with trepidation on a return visit because never know when the rules will change again. A little social engineering helps sometimes...

misenlai

Level 2 Member
Correct, this is wildly varied from one location to another. However, my advice is if you do find a cashier that take your order, be extremely nice to him/her, make friend!! Note the day/time that person works so you can come back to the same person every time.

Noby1981

OP do you have any updates for us ? please? I ask it because i am having same issues as you did back then and i was wondering what's the matter? thank you!

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
OP do you have any updates for us ? please? I ask it because i am having same issues as you did back then and i was wondering what's the matter? thank you!
Depends on staff/location from my experience. Unfortunately, the person who typically staffs the MO Line at my closest WM enforces allowing only true debit cards (e.g. in your name, etc.). However, other staff and other stores typically are ok with GC.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
What particular issues are you having?
This was OP's message:

At one store where I had previously bought MOs using VGC, the manager said they do not take Visa Debit (Not VGC) for Money Orders anymore.

At another store there was a sign up stating "No money orders at this time".

D

drc600xx

I'm finding that some NE Walmart managers and clerks are pretty friendly.
However, big problem all of a sudden: several Walmart systems are rejecting any prepaid card / vgc that I use.
Not finding this at all Walmarts, but at several for sure.

I know that at some of the Walmarts they've installed a new m.o. system; but my vgc and prepaid debit were declined today and manager said they were still on the "old" system.

Anyone else having this problem?

richard1

RE-POSTING:

However, big problem all of a sudden: several Walmart systems are rejecting any prepaid card / vgc that I use.

I know that at some of the Walmarts they've installed a new m.o. system; but my vgc and prepaid debit were declined today and manager said they were still on the "old" system.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
RE-POSTING:

Are you using Vanilla brand cards?

richard1

I've tried a few visa brands:
- OneVanilla(Bancorp) prepaid debit purchased at CVS: Declined.

- GiftcardMall (Metabank) gc: Declined (***fyi, 2 weeks ago, this card worked for a $500 mo, and then a few minutes later another card - same type, also for $500 mo - was declined; at the same Walmart.)

- VGC (Green Dot Bank), purchased at the same Walmart where I was purchasing mo's! Declined

misenlai

Level 2 Member
I've tried a few visa brands:
- OneVanilla(Bancorp) prepaid debit purchased at CVS: Declined.

- GiftcardMall (Metabank) gc: Declined (***fyi, 2 weeks ago, this card worked for a $500 mo, and then a few minutes later another card - same type, also for $500 mo - was declined; at the same Walmart.)

- VGC (Green Dot Bank), purchased at the same Walmart where I was purchasing mo's! Declined
wow this sounds terrible. Which state are you from?

projectx

Level 2 Member
OV hasn't worked for years now. For the others... were you trying to split payment? If the cashier doesn't do it right it will decline. FWIW I did 4x200 Metabank Visas today no problem.

richard1

I'm in New Jersey.
And yes, I found out that OV's will be rejected by Walmart mo system.
Also, I called Walmartgift.com to find out why my Walmart vgc was declined. The guy said bc the transaction was over $2k (I wanted 3 mo's, 1k each).
But, I also tried with 1k and $500, and they were declined;
Then, today, I was able to buy on $500 mo - WITH THE WM VGC THAT WAS DECLINED 2 DAYS AGO; a few minutes later, I bought another $500 mo, also with a card that had been declined 2 days ago. I don't get it.

Projectx, you said, "...If the cashier doesn't do it right [split payment] it will decline.
What is the correct way for a cashier to do a split payment?

projectx

Level 2 Member
I don't know all of the magic buttons the cashier has to press on their end, but they have to input the split amount before each swipe. A couple times I've had a cashier that looks like they're doing it right, and will get declined. Then another cashier will come over and it will work fine.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
Also, I called Walmartgift.com to find out why my Walmart vgc was declined...
IMO, this is something to avoid. There's little reason to believe you'll get correct/accurate info from a rep (as you found out), but you risk painting a bullseye on your back (and everyone else here) for using the VGC this way. We could all get shut down.

projectx

Level 2 Member
IMO, this is something to avoid. There's little reason to believe you'll get correct/accurate info from a rep (as you found out), but you risk painting a bullseye on your back (and everyone else here) for using the VGC this way. We could all get shut down.
I don't know how I missed this part. @richard1 ... I'll second Labboypro's comment. Calling WM corporate as to why your WM VGC didn't work for a MO is a bad idea.

richard1

labboypro and projectx, Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I'm usually more cautious, and definitely will be going forward.

After more mo purchase attempts at walmarts, it seems to me that when a Green Dot gc (e.g. sold at wm) is the first card swiped, the wm mo system checks if card has enough $ to cover the total purchase; so if purchase is for $2k (two $1k mo's), then Green Dot card is rejected bc it holds only $500.
However, when I use the Green Dot gc starting with the 2nd swipe or thereafter, it is accepted.
For me, I'm only having this pblm with the Green Dot gcs.

notalent

Michael Bolton
Richard--please read this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1885618-buying-money-orders-walmart-2018-a.html

Also, since you called Walmart--remember don't make a scene at the money center if a cashier says you can't do something. Just nod and move on, try again later etc. This hobby is very "YMMV" and you can kill an entire store for everyone if you are confrontational.

I had my closest Walmart burned by someone "causing problems" (is what my normal cashier told me, but wouldn't go into more details). So now I have to drive 20 mins out of my way to another WM which I've had about 70% success at.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
Just popped into my nearby WM for first time in about a month. They are now issuing Moneygram, not WU. Had no issues swiping 300+300+200+cash for the fee. I'm in central TX