Dismiss Notice
Welcome to The Forum. Please register here, to join the conversation. It only takes a moment!

Money Order problems at Walmart

Discussion in 'Welcome, and General Discussion' started by smjd, Apr 12, 2017.

1. smjd

smjd Level 2 Member

Have recently had trouble buying money orders at two Wal-marts in the northeast.

At one store where I had previously bought MOs using VGC, the manager said they do not take Visa Debit (Not VGC) for Money Orders anymore.

At another store there was a sign up stating "No money orders at this time".

Anyone else have any data points of wal-marts tightening rules or changes happening w.r.t. money orders at wal-marts?

2. projectx

projectx Level 2 Member

My go-to WM (midwest) now has a manager that will not split payment. Everyone else does without hesitation. The problem is avoiding the customer service desk if she's around! Otherwise business as usual. So I wouldn't give up on that one store yet.

Not sure what to think about the "no money orders" sign. Regardless, it's getting tighter out there that's for sure.

3. AnyNameYouWish

AnyNameYouWish Level 2 Member

They don't take debit cards anymore? Really? Sounds like bull.

4. MouseStomper

MouseStomper Level 2 Member

This must be very cashier dependent. The evening shift at my go-to wm has no problem, but go in the morning and you'll get a speech about how people are using VGCs for criminal activity and they need to protect themselves.

5. GEN

GEN New Member

It's very YMMV but there's no nationwide ban on this method of liquidation as of yet. Haven't seen widespread DPs of this being an issue on reddit. You've tried other walmarts besides just those two, right? It sounds like a regional thing, but I would still wager you could still squeak by (though it'd mean striking out a lot more). Tons of people are lazy or unaware of rules. As always, of course, don't float more in gift cards than you can afford to lose (or not liquidate)!

6. seespotjump

seespotjump Level 2 Member

For WM in CA, it seems like business as usual. Your specific case seems like a one off, as opposed to a change in policy. Have you gone back to either WM since your original post?

7. scdc

scdc New Member

I'm in the NE and haven't had any type of problems like that liquidating at WM even as of today. Occasionally a new cashier will show up at the customer service counter and gives me a look like I'm trying to rob the place when I ask for $2k in MOs and tells me some version of "we don't let people buy that much" or "I need to see some ID" or "why are you using gift cards?" I just politely go along with their requests and at worst they call a manager over and the manager allows me to make the purchase and be on my way. Hopefully things have gone better for you since your post.

8. Lacrosse

Lacrosse New Member

Just bought 3k last night with no issues, I've had certain cashiers tell me no so I avoid them now.

9. Jay Shaw

Jay Shaw Level 2 Member

So far good for me in NYC. No issues with WM MO.

10. MouseStomper

MouseStomper Level 2 Member

I've been told so many things at so many different walmarts. If the cards have my name on them I usually have no problem. It's all the others that create a hassle.

11. twiga

twiga New Member

The 'rule' at WM really varies a lot. You will notice that one store can be friendly, while the other one 2 min down the road is not. A change of management can also completely turn the tide. Lots of trial and error, and getting a feel of the place. And always with trepidation on a return visit because never know when the rules will change again. A little social engineering helps sometimes...