MKE-SJO (Costa Rica)

RRD

Level 2 Member
Hi guys,

It would be great if you could give me some pointers regarding this award I am trying to book.

We want to take advantage of the SW companion pass and fly to Costa Rica either in Oct or Nov of this year. The problem is the nearest airport from where I can fly direct is BWI-SJO but BWI is not my home airport, MKE is, and there isn’t a flight which I can catch from MKE –BWI the same day to make the MKE-BWI-SJO trip possible on the same day, since the BWI-SJO flight leaves at 8:30 am. The only option I can think of is, fly the MKE-BWI leg the previous day. Can you guys think of any other work around? Please let me know if you do?

1. What route are you looking for? MKE-SJO (Costa Rica)
2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)? Late Oct – early Nov for 10 days
3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? Doesn’t matter
4. How many passengers? 2
5. How many points do you have, in which programs? Have enough points in other programs but want to use the SW Comp Pass

Thank you for your help in advance.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Well, since the flight leaves another city at 8:30 am, you could either drive overnight (UGH) or spend a night at the airport.

I'd pick #2. If you have either hotel points or A+ points, just stay at a lower level, but clean place for the night coming and going. It takes away from your time in CR, but gives you wind down time from the work mentality on the way there, and the vacation mentality on the way home.

smittytabb

Staff member
Hi guys,

It would be great if you could give me some pointers regarding this award I am trying to book.

We want to take advantage of the SW companion pass and fly to Costa Rica either in Oct or Nov of this year. The problem is the nearest airport from where I can fly direct is BWI-SJO but BWI is not my home airport, MKE is, and there isn’t a flight which I can catch from MKE –BWI the same day to make the MKE-BWI-SJO trip possible on the same day, since the BWI-SJO flight leaves at 8:30 am. The only option I can think of is, fly the MKE-BWI leg the previous day. Can you guys think of any other work around? Please let me know if you do?

1. What route are you looking for? MKE-SJO (Costa Rica)
2. What dates do you want to travel (mention how flexible you are)? Late Oct – early Nov for 10 days
3. Do you want to fly first, business, or coach? Doesn’t matter
4. How many passengers? 2
5. How many points do you have, in which programs? Have enough points in other programs but want to use the SW Comp Pass

Thank you for your help in advance.
I agree with @MickiSue. Indeed this is a strategy I use all the time and one of the reasons I collect hotel points and certificates. Repositioning, especially with Southwest, is often part of the deal. And BWI is nowhere near DC. I would go for a close in airport hotel.

Haven't looked at the WN Costa Rica schedule, but it's possible that there might be a flight from another airport that has a better time to leave. It might not necessarily be the best bet to fly from the closest one to you as you have to reposition anyway. I can tell you that if you get in late at night to SJO there is a Best Western that is not bad that will pick you up for free at the airport and has free long distance calls...

Reactions: RRD

RRD

Level 2 Member
Thanks ladies. I have enough hotel points to book an overnight stay at BWI but looking into other airports that might have a better schedule is a good idea.
@smittytabb Don't have any choice hotel points so the Bestwestern is out but if I may digress, could you tell me where in Costa Rica you visited and stayed at? I am trying to chalk out an itinerary as well as make hotel bookings and therefore wondering. Thanks!

smittytabb

Staff member
@smittytabb Don't have any choice hotel points so the Bestwestern is out but if I may digress, could you tell me where in Costa Rica you visited and stayed at? I am trying to chalk out an itinerary as well as make hotel bookings and therefore wondering. Thanks!
Best Western is not affiliated with Choice. They have their own loyalty program.

I've actually been to Costa Rica three times. The first time I didn't stay in any hotels where points might work except the Best Western. Another time I was on a ship. My most recent stay was at the Andaz Papagayo near Liberia. In terms of an itinerary, there is a lot to see and driving is slower than the mileage looks on maps.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
There is a chance that the new schedule will add HOU-SJO for November. I'd book the best you can come up with today (before tomorrow's devaluation) and then check back at the next schedule extension 4/29.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Thanks ladies. I have enough hotel points to book an overnight stay at BWI but looking into other airports that might have a better schedule is a good idea.
I believe BWI is the only airport that services SJO currently. While you can fly to other airports and get to BWI, you'll have to add an extra flight. Since you have non-stop service between MKE and BWI, the simplest option is to just go to BWI the night before. The southwest schedule is currently open through Oct 30th with some sort of unknown devaluation tomorrow. If you could firm up your plans and book by EOD that would be recommendation.

Reactions: RRD

RRD

Level 2 Member
Thanks everyone.
I believe BWI is the only airport that services SJO currently. While you can fly to other airports and get to BWI, you'll have to add an extra flight. Since you have non-stop service between MKE and BWI, the simplest option is to just go to BWI the night before. The southwest schedule is currently open through Oct 30th with some sort of unknown devaluation tomorrow. If you could firm up your plans and book by EOD that would be recommendation.
I did just this for the fear of devaluation and will keep an eye for a better route/price .