Mixed Class award booking?

Panache

Level 2 Member
I've searched high and dry, but I can't seem to find if the following is a workable option with either AA or UA (that's where we have all our miles). Thanks in advance

Wife and I would like to travel to Colombia or Panama over Xmas. I know, challenging.

I've done segment by segment searches on UA, BA and AA, and there is some availability, but I can only find:

For AA: Only economy Mile saaver on one segment, business another segment

For UA: Standard award economy (not saver!) 1 segment, saver business overseas segment (eg., MCO-BOG).

Is it possible to get an award ticket with either airline and pay for business class saver award altogether (and get waitlisted for business on the economy leg) or would it have to be 2 separate award tickets (which would mean a lot more points?)

TIA for any help/input.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
For AA, yes, you pay for business now. If business for the other segment becomes available (or another routing altogether), you can change to it for free.

No idea about the UA situation.

smittytabb

Staff member
I've searched high and dry, but I can't seem to find if the following is a workable option with either AA or UA (that's where we have all our miles). Thanks in advance

Wife and I would like to travel to Colombia or Panama over Xmas. I know, challenging.

I've done segment by segment searches on UA, BA and AA, and there is some availability, but I can only find:

For AA: Only economy Mile saaver on one segment, business another segment

For UA: Standard award economy (not saver!) 1 segment, saver business overseas segment (eg., MCO-BOG).

Is it possible to get an award ticket with either airline and pay for business class saver award altogether (and get waitlisted for business on the economy leg) or would it have to be 2 separate award tickets (which would mean a lot more points?)

TIA for any help/input.
On AA you can book the whole award with one segment in economy and one in business, but you pay the price of business for the whole thing. Ditto UA. I know you can change the leg that is economy to business later on AA if it opens up. Have not done it on UA, so not sure there. BA tends to be segment by segment anyway so moot point there. Not sure about waitlisting. You would probably need to keep checking to see if there are changes.

Panache

Level 2 Member
Thanks! Does it matter if with UA 1 segment (domestic) is economy standard (25 K miles OW) and the next (international) segment is Biz Saver (35 K miles?) Can I book the whole journey for 35 K miles or will they not like that the domestic is not at the same saver level?

TheBOSman

Staff member
Thanks! Does it matter if with UA 1 segment (domestic) is economy standard (25 K miles OW) and the next (international) segment is Biz Saver (35 K miles?) Can I book the whole journey for 35 K miles or will they not like that the domestic is not at the same saver level?
They won't like that the domestic is not at the saver level, and you will have to pay the price for an international standard award if any domestic or international leg is only available at the standard level.

Panache

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I guess that means a paid positioning flight. Anyone know when/whether Avianca releases more award space later? I have a vague recollection seeing availability last summer (mid July) with AV on United for travel during Xmas. Now, there is little availability through early fall but then none after mid-November.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Thanks! I guess that means a paid positioning flight. Anyone know when/whether Avianca releases more award space later? I have a vague recollection seeing availability last summer (mid July) with AV on United for travel during Xmas. Now, there is little availability through early fall but then none after mid-November.
Christmas (as you know) is a very high demand time for travel to South America. There might be more award space released but I highly doubt it happens more than a month in advance.