Missing money

Malvina

Level 2 Member
In the end of each year I check the following website (it is legit).
You can find that you are owed some money.

missingmoney.com

Annie H.

Egalatarian
This is a good website and good idea for tracking "Unclaimed Property." I've been meaning to do a post on this. It does not, however, report for all states. If your state is not among those included on the website (CA, for instance, it not) google your state and unclaimed property or go to the website for your state and locate the "unclaimed property" search function.

Some states will tell you the amount of each "piece" of unclaimed property-- bank account, insurance refund, utility refund, shares of stock, dividends, etc. and others will only identify the property with a claim # only. Over the last couple years I have searched for, notified and helped a half dozen friends and relatives claim almost $35K from three different states (alas, none for me). Items included a decade old apt. security deposit, 25 shares of stock and accumlated dividends, $10,000 escrow account--that one was a real puzzle and the most recent insurance commission residual checks for a relative dating back 15 years-- he had been told that once the company was sold he was no longer entitled to commission-- NOT true!

One of the things that frequently happens when settling an estate for an elderly relative is that something gets missed, especially if there aren't good records for bank accounts or securities or perhaps there was a second home in another state where something got missed.. In this day and age of online and not paper statements, decedents aren't often notified and under the laws of most states the money reverts to the State Treasury as unclaimed property.

Start checking--Christmas might come early!