Melbourne, Australia in June

HJTrowdyfan

Level 2 Member
Traveling to Melbourne in June? Expect a "gusty" adventure, without the hassle of summer crowds. For those who love outdoors and nature, you will want to escape the confines of the city as soon as you arrive. A drive to the Central Business District, for Americans, who drive on the "right" side of the road, will prove to be a challenge even with a GPS. Go ahead, make a left turn, using the American method, and you will be taking your life in your own hands.

From the airport, I would encourage you to rent a car, with a GPS. Before leaving the parking lot, familiarize yourself with the GPS and the car. Otherwise, you may be washing the windshield at every turn.

Enough with the basics, upon our arrival in Melbourne, we rented a car and headed out to the coastal town of Geelong. This site was selected because of its convenience to Melbourne, as well as, the Great Ocean Road.

The Four Points by Sheraton Geelong provided to be a great use of SPG points. The location is across the road from the Steampacket Gardens, where you can enjoy a stroll along the waterfront, view the art exhibits in the park and relax among the locals. The staff was very accommodating. The room was clean, neat and had a wonderful view of the park, marina and coastline.

Geelong is a quaint town offering a variety of restaurants, shops and museums. Within a few blocks of the hotel, we found the National Wool Museum, a shopping mall and several local pubs and eateries.

Looking for a place to rest after your international flight, while getting your feet on the ground again? A day in Geelong, before exploring the Great Ocean Road will prove to be one of the highlights of your trip.

spirith20

Level 2 Member
Do you know whether us Americans who don't want to drive on the "wrong" side of the road can hire a car service for the day to take use on an adventure to Geelong and the Great Ocean Road?

Ellen

Level 2 Member
Do you know whether us Americans who don't want to drive on the "wrong" side of the road can hire a car service for the day to take use on an adventure to Geelong and the Great Ocean Road?
You can for sure hire a driver. I was in Melbourne in early June this past year, and my cab driver told me he does that sort of service all the time. I unfortunately don't have any real information to help you, but I do know that he is friends with the concierge at most big hotel chains there. I stayed at the Park Hyatt in the Melbourne business district, so you could check with them. Melbourne is a really neat city! Enjoy!

Duffman033

Level 2 Member
I rented a car in the city my first month there. It is quiet interesting at first. Be careful driving through Melbourne city as it can be challenging at first. Ex: Sometimes when you want to turn right, you have to get all the way over to the left lane. All you need there is your US License. After a while though, it isn't too difficult. Be careful on the multi- lane roundabouts, they can be a doozy! If you need any advice feel free to ask, I lived in Melbourne this past year working on a working holiday visa.