Meeting the min spend on AMEX in 2019

dr0832

Level 2 Member
Anyone know how to meet the min spending for Amex sign up bonuses now that Amex is cracking down on GC purchases?

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Anyone know how to meet the min spending for Amex sign up bonuses now that Amex is cracking down on GC purchases?
There’s always organic spend: car/house/health insurance, taxes, and prepaying bills. Beyond that, avoid Simon, GCM, GCs com, level3 data reporting (Staples). You can buy GCs at other places. Just don’t be obvious about it.

trvl4fs

Level 2 Member
I know it's off topic, but is the Amex crackdown on giftcards limited to meeting minimum spend for bonuses or are they also cracking down (i.e. closing accounts) for post-bonus spend? Thanks.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Question. Isn't an Amazon gift card somehow exempt? I think I've done that a few times. I have been able to find ways. Restaurants, hotels, groceries. I still have mattress, possible new computer for my wife, new carpets. My big problem is finding a card with bonus for which I'm eligible. We are both Chase 5/24, both ineligible for AX bonuses on Hilton (at least it warns me when I try!) probably also Delta. I might see if Banco Popular will give me a new LifeMiles card since I canceled a while ago, but they have no minimum spend, it's first use!

Perhaps it's time to just give up, keep and use what I have, cancel most fee cards and start spending points/miles!

asc8u

Level 2 Member
I know it's off topic, but is the Amex crackdown on giftcards limited to meeting minimum spend for bonuses or are they also cracking down (i.e. closing accounts) for post-bonus spend? Thanks.
I've been following Reddit MS thread closely for the past couple months and people there seem to downplay AmEx crackdown on GCs - even with minimum spend requirements. After MSR, everyone there seems to agree that there aren't any GC issues with Amex.

As a personal data point, I bought a couple $500 GC at my local grocery store while I was still hitting MSR with my Amex Gold last month and nothing happened - I got my bonus just fine. But I was also putting a lot of regular spend on the card as well. I think during MSR, I just wouldn't go out and immediately buy $4k in GCs. I'm guessing as long as it's mixed in with regular spend and the numbers aren't out of the ordinary with what you're already spending, it won't be an issue before MSR. Avoiding stores that report level 3 data is probably also not a bad idea, like office supply stores. After MSR, I'm counting on there being no issues, but I've only been MSing with the Amex Gold for the past 2 months - gotten about $7k in GCs so far without a problem.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I've been following Reddit MS thread closely for the past couple months and people there seem to downplay AmEx crackdown on GCs - even with minimum spend requirements. After MSR, everyone there seems to agree that there aren't any GC issues with Amex.

As a personal data point, I bought a couple $500 GC at my local grocery store while I was still hitting MSR with my Amex Gold last month and nothing happened - I got my bonus just fine. But I was also putting a lot of regular spend on the card as well. I think during MSR, I just wouldn't go out and immediately buy $4k in GCs. I'm guessing as long as it's mixed in with regular spend and the numbers aren't out of the ordinary with what you're already spending, it won't be an issue before MSR. Avoiding stores that report level 3 data is probably also not a bad idea, like office supply stores. After MSR, I'm counting on there being no issues, but I've only been MSing with the Amex Gold for the past 2 months - gotten about $7k in GCs so far without a problem.
I guess I don't get it. What good does $7000 worth of GC's get you? Single point on the card and then don't you have to spend them? Or can you turn them back into cash?

asc8u

Level 2 Member
I guess I don't get it. What good does $7000 worth of GC's get you? Single point on the card and then don't you have to spend them? Or can you turn them back into cash?
The point of MS is to cycle money to get credit card points.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
But how is that different from just buying things? What do you do with $7000 of gift cards? Also, isn’t that only worth $70? You spend $7000. Then what.
The best place to learn the basic premise of MS is to google it and Frequent Miler. Then go to Flyer Talk, read every thread on MS for the past 3 years. A lot no longer works, but will give you historical data points and ideas. I spent thousands of hours reading, researching, and experimenting.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
OK. I get it but I don't "get it." I know in the old days you could buy GC's or money orders and then deposit them back into your account. I don't see the point in GC as MS since you are out of pocket unless it's just to get the spend in a hurry. I don't have tons of spend but then I never am trying for more than $2-5K for a bonus.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
OK, my wife has a retention on her AX Platinum which she needs to meet by end of April. I can charge our hockey playoff tickets but if there is a surplus it will likely be refunded to the same credit card AFTER the deadline. Probably safer just to charge something firm, right?

asc8u

Level 2 Member
OK, my wife has a retention on her AX Platinum which she needs to meet by end of April. I can charge our hockey playoff tickets but if there is a surplus it will likely be refunded to the same credit card AFTER the deadline. Probably safer just to charge something firm, right?
Yes, if you think there's a good chance it'll get returned/refunded, I wouldn't count on it for meeting your minimum spend.

caliang

paying tax, insurance...etc. these are great to meet min spend. also, if you have your own business, it's way easier.

I Can See For Miles

Level 2 Member
My wife and I are longtime AMEX CC churners and MSers who have never had an issue with MSing to meet the MSR. But our newest player -- my 20-year-old son -- for whom I manage the credit card earnings and who has a much shorter history with AMEX -- hit a speed bump. "He" met the 5K MSR on an AMEX Business Bonvoy card -- all through four obvious online giftcard purchases -- and had the 100K bonus and 10K in spend points "post" on his first CC statement -- but they didn't post to his new Bonvoy account. When I inquired through live chat a CSR said the review team is reviewing it -- not good -- and referred me to a link to the terms and conditions on meeting the MSR. Basically I got a bit careless, not realizing what would typically work for us might not work for a young, new customer, so we'll meet the MSR through organic spend and should still earn the bonus.