Maximum number of AmEx Products?

spirith20

Level 2 Member
I believe I have read this in a previous thread but I couldn't find it anywhere…what's the maximum number of AmEx products an individual can hold at one time? Is it 3?

swazzie

Level 2 Member
4 personal credit cards (though there are reports of folks exceeding that limit). No limit on charge cards.

midnightinharlem

Level 2 Member
Wouldn't mind hearing what folks are using their 4 credit slots for. I have the following:

SPG Business
Everyday Card
Blue Cash Everyday

Contemplating either the SPG Personal or SimplyCash Card for my 4th spot.

swazzie

Level 2 Member
My slots are filled by:

Blue Cash Everyday (opened 3/14)--$250 sign-up bonus
Old Blue Cash (9/14)
No Annual Fee Hilton (12/14)--60K point bonus

I just cancelled a little-used Amex Blue (2/08) last week, so no MR cards. I maxed out the BCE CB this year and last; the last CB will post in April. I'll apply for Blue Cash Preferred in April (a better CB return than BCE even with the annual fee since I know I'll max out the $6K) and cancel the BCE if that's approved. These are the only Amex cards I've had. I plan to keep the OBC and BCP long-term, but not the Hilton card.

In my dreams, removing the Blue and not applying for the Everyday MR cards will increase the chance of a 100K MR Platinum or other huge offer (I know the Platinum won't take up a slot). With the one bonus per lifetime rule in addition to the 4 slot rule, I'm weighing my options carefully before deciding to apply for any other Amex cards.

sound48

Level 2 Member
SPG business
Hilton no fee
Blue Cash everyday
Amex gold
Amex business platinum

Ideally, I'd like to get 3 or 4 Delta cards one year to get elite status without ever getting on a plane. But want to wait until I don't have American status so I can status match to AA. Also still want to get old blue cash, even with the limit.

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
OBC
SPG Personal
SPG Business
Amex Business Gold

Had MB Platinum back when they offered 75K signup bonus. I no longer need the benefits, and the $450 AF, it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
No Fee Hilton (may change this out, Delta is about all I haven't gotten a bonus on unless I do Biz SPG)
OBC
Everyday Base (hoping to play the upgrade downgrade game)
Simply Cash (8% at Hyatt)

Charge card - Biz Plat will dump when the AF comes.

Burgertm

Level 2 Member
SPG - Personal
Delta - Personal
Blue Cash - Personal
Platinum - Business

Probably dumping the Plat once the fee hits since I just picked up the Citi Prestige.

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
SPG (opened 3/15/14)
SPG Biz (opened 6/24/14)
OBC (opened 7/1/14)
JetBlue (opened (opened 2/16/15)

I'm thinking of closing JetBlue (already got the bonus) and get Hilton Surpass.
Also planning to switch SPG Biz to Simply Cash (this never has any bonus, right?)

Thoughts?

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
SPG (opened 3/15/14)
SPG Biz (opened 6/24/14)
OBC (opened 7/1/14)
JetBlue (opened (opened 2/16/15)

I'm thinking of closing JetBlue (already got the bonus) and get Hilton Surpass.
Also planning to switch SPG Biz to Simply Cash (this never has any bonus, right?)

Thoughts?
I think Simply Cash had or maybe still has $400 bonus.

Also I see more people saying they get more from retention on SPG Biz than personal version, for whatever reason.

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
I think Simply Cash had or maybe still has $400 bonus.

Also I see more people saying they get more from retention on SPG Biz than personal version, for whatever reason.
I don't see the bonus on Amex site. I'll see if I can find another link.
The reason I'm leaning towards closing SPG Biz is because it's churnable. Isn't that right?

How strict is this 4 card limit?
Is it a good idea to go for it and then call in and close a card if it doesn't work?

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
I don't see the bonus on Amex site. I'll see if I can find another link.
The reason I'm leaning towards closing SPG Biz is because it's churnable. Isn't that right?

How strict is this 4 card limit?
Is it a good idea to go for it and then call in and close a card if it doesn't work?
Oh if you're churning the Biz cards, then the retention is moot. And yes, it should be every 12 months for Biz card bonuses.

$250 bonus linky posted on FM
Code:
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/#AmexMR
If you already have 4, they'll decline you until you call & tell them you'll close a card...