Maximizing savings on S&S Amazon Purchase

sungchiahao

Level 2 Member
I use Amazon's Subscribe & Save for roughly $200 per month. I have just been using credit cards to pay (no Amazon bonus). Without opening any new credit cards (Sallie Mae , Discover, Freedom), now do I maximize my savings now?
Possible routes?
Buy discount Amazon GC
Find portal that pays for Amazon S&S.... Do portals even track S&S?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We have a section on portals, but I'm not sure that anyone has tried this method... my first impressions:

1. Load up the account with 5x UR GCs if you haven't maxed out the $50K, keep a running balance there...
  2. Try 'popping in' via a portal around re-order time to see if it sticks/tracks?

sungchiahao

Level 2 Member
We have a section on portals, but I'm not sure that anyone has tried this method... my first impressions:

1. Load up the account with 5x UR GCs if you haven't maxed out the $50K, keep a running balance there...
  2. Try 'popping in' via a portal around re-order time to see if it sticks/tracks?
What is the 5x UR GC? I am not sure I understand what you are talking about. Thanks.

sungchiahao

Level 2 Member
I read that GameStop allows purchase of Amazon/Kindle GC with GameStop GC. I am planning to buy GameStop GC through MPX, then buy Amazon/Kindle GC in the store. This should let me earn extra United points depending on the GameStop vs Amazon differential in MPX.

Fuerza

Level 2 Member
I have looked into Amazon subcribe and save. I'm curious as to what are some of the things you guys buy and save on? It seems like with Amazon SS you have to place orders constantly for the same quantities. That is where I can't make SS fit. Someday a I don't need another pack of Razors.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
If you opt for "No Rush" delivery, you can collect a lot of $1 to $2 credits, etc. I opt for 2 day shipping prime vs same day for random purchases and am offered $2 credit. Sometimes, if I go with 3 day or longer, I'm offered a $5 pantry credit.

Some friends have Amazon service that delivers in an hour...if they defer to same day (up to 8pm), they are offered $1 credit ... But if I wanted Starbucks coffee delivered in 15 mins, I think I would skip that $1 credit....

Phantom707

Gold Member
Very often, even if you choose slower shipping in order to gain the credits, you'll still get the item delivered according to the faster shipping schedule. Unless it is crucial that you receive the items at a specific date, this seems like a good option.

Besides using portals and getting gift cards at bonus category locations, consider shifting around your delivery schedule. I'm not going to ask what items you're purchasing from Amazon, but if they're not extremely perishable, you could make bulk order purchases starting next month (October) using your Discover card to get the bonus category then.

If you haven't already taken advantage of such, there are some offers that you can use. For example, there was an offer for a discount if you used your Discover cash back towards an Amazon purchase. I'm not sure if that's still active, but you might want to look into it. Make sure to always check if there are any coupons that you can clip to cut down on prices.

mmax1

Level 2 Member
Definitely worth buying gift cards. I have been using Discover this quarter (and next) for 5% CB which is doubled to 10% next year. Most gift cards available through discover cash back are also worth > 1 cent per point - if those options are of any use to you.

Fuerza

Level 2 Member
I've been embracing S&S a lot more. The idea is to save time and money. No trips to Sam's Club or the pet store. Seems like when I go to either of the above we walk out with more than we came looking for.

I'm using Discover for 5% this quarter doubled. I didn't max out this last quarter, I ran to Sears for some $200 Visa's today. Lol