Mattress Run

sriki

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have experience with mattress running SPG? Do you have to check in for the stays and points to get credited or just a booking suffice? I found a rate that combined with some promotions makes sense to MR a hotel in Asia. But, I cannot be there to physically check in/out.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
2 or 3 years ago a booking alone did not get credit. i presume it's the same now, and for essentially all the major chains. would be nice though!

Craig

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have experience with mattress running SPG? Do you have to check in for the stays and points to get credited or just a booking suffice? I found a rate that combined with some promotions makes sense to MR a hotel in Asia. But, I cannot be there to physically check in/out.
You have to check-in, otherwise the system registers you as a no-show.

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
Ditto! You'll have to physically check-in or else you get no points and have less $$$ in your wallet too. If you know anyone you trust in the area you might be able to have them check-in for you, and act like you rented the room for them.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Well, I do know someone in that city. I need to consider if it's worth my time to waste their time. Lol. Time to do a little more math. Thanks folks.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I once asked a friend for a $7 marriott night 15 miles away. She didn't have the cajones to use the story I fed her lol. I would have loved it because I would have booked a ton of nights

CWAL

Level 2 Member
I would imagine hotels with keyless entry would not require you to physically show up...

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I once asked a friend for a $7 marriott night 15 miles away. She didn't have the cajones to use the story I fed her lol. I would have loved it because I would have booked a ton of nights
She could have had a ton of free nights at the hotel too. Every once in a while, I like to get away and have a staycation.

ZapperO

Level 2 Member
I would imagine hotels with keyless entry would not require you to physically show up...
Right. Anyone know the answer to this? I'm going to be about 5 stays short to requalify for SPG Plat and I'm looking at my best options. If you book a room and "check in" using SPG Keyless entry but never actually visit the room, will you get stay credit? I know the answer is NO for regular SPG properties but I'm wondering if SPG Keyless is a solution? Thanks!!!!

jredmond02

Right. Anyone know the answer to this? I'm going to be about 5 stays short to requalify for SPG Plat and I'm looking at my best options. If you book a room and "check in" using SPG Keyless entry but never actually visit the room, will you get stay credit? I know the answer is NO for regular SPG properties but I'm wondering if SPG Keyless is a solution? Thanks!!!!
Original poster also mentioned Asia. They are going to want to scan passports/document arrival in my experience with all Asia hotels regardless of the process you check-in. I would say not worth the risk.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Original poster also mentioned Asia. They are going to want to scan passports/document arrival in my experience with all Asia hotels regardless of the process you check-in. I would say not worth the risk.
Right. Also, EU. At least Italy, and before the Brexit, the UK.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Fyi, if you don't have the Amex SPG personal and Amex SPG business card, grab them! 2 stays, 5 nights each are instantly awarded. Otherwise, find a Cat 1 or Cat 2 and book 3 rooms per night over a weekend.

ZapperO

Level 2 Member
Right. Also, EU. At least Italy, and before the Brexit, the UK.
What about Colombia, Costa Rica and Turkey? I do have SPG biz and I already had SPG personal so don't wanna get it again without a sign up bonus just for the 2 stay credits.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
What about Colombia, Costa Rica and Turkey? I do have SPG biz and I already had SPG personal so don't wanna get it again without a sign up bonus just for the 2 stay credits.
I haven't stayed in hotels in those countries. But it seems more likely than not that they'd require a copy of the passport.

Xcardplayer

Level 2 Member
Noob here, but what is a mattress run? Im assuming checking in then checking out with out paying for room? Does this involve saying the room was dirty or you had some tihng come up?

CWAL

Level 2 Member
Noob here, but what is a mattress run? Im assuming checking in then checking out with out paying for room? Does this involve saying the room was dirty or you had some tihng come up?
No, you do pay for the room.

A mattress run is finding cheap hotels that you can check in and out of in an effort to accumulate enough "stays" or nights for a certain status level with a given hotel loyalty program..

You don't have to stay in the room, but you do have to be able to check in. Not sure how mobile check in / mobile key capable hotels handle it - I would imagine if you have everything set up correctly you wouldn't have to ever be physically present.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I've seen people hypothesize about keyless check-in, but it's always said to not work. I don't know how they manage to not credit it, maybe a gps location required for check-in or something. So confirm it works before booking a bunch of non-refundable rooms or relying on it for status.

Living in Saigon, I've done mattress runs a few times for people who mention on FT they are looking for someone. Mostly it was a few years ago when Accor was offering a large number of Aeroplan miles per stay. They add my name to the reservation, then I am the one who checks in and just mention something like "oh they'll be arriving later". I confirm that it's in their profile not mine for the stay, and it has worked fine. I suppose there is a small risk to them, since I was given some of their info on the paperwork copy. But so far no troubles.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I don't doubt you about spoofing it; but my intention was the point that many people have discussed the idea before and say it doesn't work for mattress running.

CWAL

Level 2 Member
True, that or they check to see if the room was ever opened.

Could test it by mobile check in / mobile key, and just hang out in the lobby chatting with front desk for an hour ( in a reasonably memorable way but without mentioning name or room # ), then leave. If they try to deny your credit, have them speak to the staff member who could confirm you were there..

It's weird to me that they even care, as long as you pay for the room.