Mark Thread as Hidden

bismark

Level 2 Member
I would love a way to mark a thread as hidden. As someone without a car living in a relatively MS unfriendly place, constantly seeing new updates to threads about amazing opportunities I can't take advantage of really bums me out :).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Will see what I can do, not sure how right now. In the mean time, keep your chin up.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

On a per-user basis, its almost impossible to have users select and choose which threads they do and don't want to see.

bismark

Level 2 Member
On a per-user basis, its almost impossible to have users select and choose which threads they do and don't want to see.
Hmm... why? I can't say without any knowledge of the forum software being used, but it seems like it should be possible given it is already storing user-thread state in the form of watched threads.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... why? I can't say without any knowledge of the forum software being used, but it seems like it should be possible given it is already storing user-thread state in the form of watched threads.
Because the feature isn't available.

bismark

Level 2 Member
Because the feature isn't available.
Well, sure. When RamboAroundTheWorld said it was "almost impossible" I assumed he had some knowledge of the forum software as to why.

A quick glance shows that XenForo has some hooks for Add-Ons, no idea how useful they really are or how much effort is required.

Anyway not a big deal, I was just curious :).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Well, sure. When RamboAroundTheWorld said it was "almost impossible" I assumed he had some knowledge of the forum software as to why.

A quick glance shows that XenForo has some hooks for Add-Ons, no idea how useful they really are or how much effort is required.

Anyway not a big deal, I was just curious :).
Yep he knows about this. And yes there are add ons available, however each add on brings problems so they are added with care.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

The way the forum software is currently setup is geared towards giving user groups certain abilities. Without going into too much technical detail, think of it like diverting traffic on a highway. Its fairly easy to take all traffic out of one one lane, or into a certain direction. But imagine trying to stop every Ford that you saw. The control down to that level of traffic you saw would need to be exacting.