Manhattan Lodging Options

kristian

Level 2 Member
I am planning a 4 night Sat-Weds trip with my dad. I need two beds. Doesn't have to be fancy. A fourth night free would be great. Maybe a timeshare deal? I don't have the Citi Prestige card. Anyone have any good suggestions?

projectx

Level 2 Member
Are you using points or cash? You might get some better responses if you let everyone what type of points you have to use, and if not, your X/24 status for advice on which cards to apply for to get those points. When are you looking to travel?

FWIW we stayed at Andaz 5th Avenue. The location can't be beat. I believe it was 25k Hyatt points/night.

kristian

Level 2 Member
I have maybe a couple 100k hilton and maybe about 100k hyatt. Oh, and radisson is one of the options I'm seriously considering as I never find a use for those points. Problem with them is points stays are only one bed.

I'm disinclined to use any Marriott/SPG points because I want to save those. I would be inclined to stay at Marriott/SPG to earn points/nights. I won't be applying for any credit cards as the stay is in two weeks.

Andaz 5th showing dates unavailable on points. Otherwise, thanks for the suggestion, looks like a great redemption.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Unless something changed I believe Hyatt's rules are if you can book it with cash, you can book it with points. I've read reports of others having success calling in and pointing this out.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Unless something changed I believe Hyatt's rules are if you can book it with cash, you can book it with points. I've read reports of others having success calling in and pointing this out.
People have had some success with it - if it's the lowest room type that's still available for sale (e.g. if it's 2 Double Low Floor opposed to 2 Double Slightly Higher Floor or whatever shenanigan room types they're using there)

I have maybe a couple 100k hilton and maybe about 100k hyatt. Oh, and radisson is one of the options I'm seriously considering as I never find a use for those points. Problem with them is points stays are only one bed.

I'm disinclined to use any Marriott/SPG points because I want to save those. I would be inclined to stay at Marriott/SPG to earn points/nights. I won't be applying for any credit cards as the stay is in two weeks.

Andaz 5th showing dates unavailable on points. Otherwise, thanks for the suggestion, looks like a great redemption.
I concur with your viewpoint on Radisson. At other Radisson's, I've had success making my reservation online and calling the hotel directly and asking them to switch me to a different bed type, I'm 2 for 3 on this approach so YMMV.

kristian

Level 2 Member
Good tip. Any lounge here for applying an explorist upgrade?

I concur with your viewpoint on Radisson. At other Radisson's, I've had success making my reservation online and calling the hotel directly and asking them to switch me to a different bed type, I'm 2 for 3 on this approach so YMMV.
Also a good tip. I can always try and then cancel if a no-go. Do you have experience on getting the free nights from spend? I'm waiting on two to post.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Good tip. Any lounge here for applying an explorist upgrade?

Also a good tip. I can always try and then cancel if a no-go. Do you have experience on getting the free nights from spend? I'm waiting on two to post.
I don't have any personal experience with new format of free nights (just the old style). However, according to the T&C (I pasted them in full below) don't expect your free nights until 6-8 weeks AFTER you renew your card. My experience with all their promotions is that they do this to ensure you renew the card before they give you the benefit - don't expect to receive anything early.

When you spend $10,000 in eligible Net Purchases, and renew your card by paying the annual fee, you can earn one Radisson RewardsTM Visa® Reward Card Free Night E-Certificate (“E-Cert”). For every additional $10,000 in eligible net spend, you will receive an additional Free Night E-Cert, up to two additional E-Certs given during the 12-month statement cycle period immediately prior to the annual anniversary of the Account opening date. Limit of three free E-Certs per 12-month statement cycle. Net purchases are purchases minus credits and returns. You must maintain a current, valid email address in your Radisson Rewards Account Profile in order to receive your E-Cert(s). Your E-Cert(s) will be available in your Radisson Rewards account approximately 6-8 weeks after payment of the annual renewal fee. Each E-Cert is valid for a new reservation booked on a Radisson Family of Hotels website using the unique E-Cert code provided. Each E-Cert is valid for one night in one standard room, double occupancy, at any Radisson Blu®, Radisson®, Radisson RED, Park Plaza®, Park Inn® by Radisson, or Country Inn & Suites® by Radisson hotel located in the United States. All taxes are included. All incidental charges, such as gratuities, parking, resort fees, room service and room entertainment are excluded. E-Certs expire 12 months from the date of issuance as indicated above and in your Radisson Rewards online account. E-Certs are not valid for existing reservations and may not be used in conjunction with packages, promotions, group, convention or discounted rates, or used in combination with other gift certificates, e-certificates or vouchers. E-Certs are valid only for the issued Account owner, may only be used once, and may not be assigned, transferred, brokered, bartered, sold, posted online or altered in any way. E-Certs have no cash value. Void where prohibited by law. U.S. Bank is not responsible for the E-Cert fulfillment.

kristian

Level 2 Member
Follow up: Hilton's dynamic pricing swung the pendulum in it's favor. The two weekend nights were around 40k and 70k for Monday. Still only a bed and a pull out at the Embassy Suites but breakfast and happy hour included at the lodging should make traveling with the old man less stressful. Booked once and then priced dropped, called in and was rebated 16k points. Might be a useful strategy for Hilton going forward, similar to Southwest...

Radisson was a no-go with the bed switch after booking so I cancelled that option. Thanks all for the tips and ideas!

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Follow up: Hilton's dynamic pricing swung the pendulum in it's favor. The two weekend nights were around 40k and 70k for Monday. Still only a bed and a pull out at the Embassy Suites but breakfast and happy hour included at the lodging should make traveling with the old man less stressful. Booked once and then priced dropped, called in and was rebated 16k points. Might be a useful strategy for Hilton going forward, similar to Southwest...

Radisson was a no-go with the bed switch after booking so I cancelled that option. Thanks all for the tips and ideas!
While no one can argue that Hilton really gutted their program several years ago - the dynamic pricing has come in handy for me on several occasions. I especially enjoy when the premium room rewards cost less than the price of the standard room reward.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Personally I find great value with Hilton points when used for run of the mill hotels, such as at airports or in what I would consider non-tourist areas. My last three stays have had values at 0.7, 0.9, and 0.9 ccp.