Mandatory Spend Plan

Better_by_Design

Level 2 Member
Maybe this will be fun for folks -

I have some (for me) major purchases coming up - all are eligible for credit card spend - of roughly $3k, $5k, and $7k charges.

Having never had the AMEX Biz Plt before, I'm considering tossing all of it at that in an attempt to get the... errr... only 75k in MR points?

Or, should I split it amongst a bevy on non-5/24 cards spread around different issuers?

Thoughts? Better ideas? A dazzlingly optimal plan come to mind?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this will be fun for folks -

I have some (for me) major purchases coming up - all are eligible for credit card spend - of roughly $3k, $5k, and $7k charges.

Having never had the AMEX Biz Plt before, I'm considering tossing all of it at that in an attempt to get the... errr... only 75k in MR points?

Or, should I split it amongst a bevy on non-5/24 cards spread around different issuers?

Thoughts? Better ideas? A dazzlingly optimal plan come to mind?
I'd consider credit card insurance as well as points. EG for an appliance, you might want to pick an Amex over a Discover, or for Travel, whatever offers the best inclusive insurance.

Better_by_Design

Level 2 Member
I'd consider credit card insurance as well as points. EG for an appliance, you might want to pick an Amex over a Discover, or for Travel, whatever offers the best inclusive insurance.
Great point - and something I absolutely consider when buying appliances and electronics particularly.

I should have noted that those concerns aren't applicable for these purchases.

Sean1234

Level 2 Member
Insurance aside, it would seem the multiple card option is a significantly better choice. Assuming 1) a standard non-5/24 card is $3k in spend for 50K points, 2) you can split your purchases among multiple cards, 3) and an average value of 1cpp, 4) and an AORA for 5 cards, you net $2,500 in value versus only $750 for the Amex Biz.

Plus, though the 150K Amex Biz is elusive, the 100K offer is much more common and with the once-per-lifetime approach (or least 7 years), I'd personally wait.

Admittedly a lot of assumptions there, value of points and what-not, but that's how I approach signups and spend. Now, if you can MS easily then its a different story...

Gloobnib

Travel Burninator
Great point - and something I absolutely consider when buying appliances and electronics particularly.

I should have noted that those concerns aren't applicable for these purchases.
Be sure to also read the insurance provisions before relying on them. I got 'burned' (not covered) in the past because they exclude things like "item has an internal combustion engine" (lawnmower) or "appliances that are considered real estate" (air conditioner and dishwasher). While totally understandable that they'd want to exclude such mechanical items (they are after all most likely things to break), I would have chosen other spend patterns if I had known the insurance didn't cover these high ticket items.

btbane

Level 2 Member
I would tend to agree with Sean. The 100k offers come around often enough that I think it's worth waiting. There are a good amount of cards that can provide $500-$800 of value for $2-$5k in spend.

That being said, if you have a good stash of Amex points already and you have redemptions in mind that could really use the 2 cpp on airlines, might be worth it to get that benefit.

mark.goblue

Level 2 Member
I tend to agree with Sean as well. The 75k offer isn't worth jumping on unless you really value/need the MR. If it were me, I would use the 5k & 3k to met min spend on the 35k SPG Biz card offer, then split 7k between two new CitiBusiness AA Plat's.

107,000 (127,000 if you can get matched to the 60k offer) AA miles & 43k Starpoints with no AF's upfront sounds like a much better deal than 90k MR + the 450 Plat AF (less travel credit). Granted, you it'll take 3 HP instead of 1 and maybe you'd take advantage of the Business Platinum benefits so it would have more upside, but that's what I would do in your situation.