Maldives

gasman

Level 2 Member
I've booked tickets to the Maldives and there is availability at both the PH (park hyatt) and CMRI (conrad madlives rangali island). This is a special trip with just the Mrs. and myself. I'm diamond with hhonors and have no status with hyatt. There's availaiblity with both hotels and both are giving me options to upgrade with cash to nicer rooms. Has anyone been to both recently (I know milesabound did a review for both, but it's been a few years)? I'm thinking the pros of the CMRI include free breakfast, modest elite offerings, and the possibility to snorkel/swim with whale sharks. The PH seems to offer a more secluded and peaceful stay with less of the resort type of feel the CMRI has had recently in some TA reviews. Any insight would be most appreciated!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've booked tickets to the Maldives and there is availability at both the PH (park hyatt) and CMRI (conrad madlives rangali island). This is a special trip with just the Mrs. and myself. I'm diamond with hhonors and have no status with hyatt. There's availaiblity with both hotels and both are giving me options to upgrade with cash to nicer rooms. Has anyone been to both recently (I know milesabound did a review for both, but it's been a few years)? I'm thinking the pros of the CMRI include free breakfast, modest elite offerings, and the possibility to snorkel/swim with whale sharks. The PH seems to offer a more secluded and peaceful stay with less of the resort type of feel the CMRI has had recently in some TA reviews. Any insight would be most appreciated!
We went to the conrad in 2013, so not that recently either, never been to PH. I guess the first thing to consider is what you budget feels like. We spent about $4K for 4 nights (HH Gold, room on pts) when you consider the sea plane, diving (didn't see whalesharks..) and some dining. Now... if you took away out HH gold, we would have spent probably $1K or so more I imagine.

Free:

• Breakfast was really quite nice, large spread, and al a carte options like Benedict etc - that meant we never needed to pay for breakfast.. or for lunch.
  • Afternoon Tea: sandwiches, cakes and tea - nowhere near as nice as breakfast, but you could snack.
  • Happy Hour: an hour of free booze...
With all the above, we only dined twice out of 4 nights, one was comped, and one wasn't, I forget the price now, maybe $300-600 range for two people.

The benefits of HH Gold that you see above were pretty amazing. FWIW we stayed in the entry level King Villa, and it was great, I know some want the overwater experience and I can't knock that, but our room was really nice.. outdoor hot tub, bathing area, large bedroom, patio, and private walk to beach.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
I second Matt's opinion. I too was at the CMRI in '13 and with HH Gold it made all the difference. I was by myself, and with eStandby Upgrade to an over-the-water villa, for five nights it came to about $4.5K. I did scuba, dinners etc...

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Here's a post on FlyerTalk that compares the two properties. I've only stayed at the Conrad though booked a friend into the Park Hyatt for his honeymoon. I know it's a longer trip to the Park Hyatt but have the impression that it is a more luxe property. We toured several of the over the water bungalows at the Conrad and weren't too keen on them. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20252872-post786.html

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
The Conrad is on two linked islands. The public pool and the larger restaurant is on the main island along with many of the villas. The spa, another restaurant, and the over the water bungalows are on the smaller island. That island is more arid and it was a hotter, sandier walk to them. The bungalows that we checked were high enough above the water that it wasn't easy to simply get in and out. We were very content with our spacious villa on the main island with a short walk to the beach and water. We were happy to use the main pool. Loungers were in shallow water at one end, and it was delicious to dabble a foot or an entire body in the water and return to the lounger.

We've stayed in over the water bungalows on Moorea and Bora Bora and absolutely loved them. Being over the water made the trip for us. I didn't feel the same about the Conrad Maldives. But I might be an outlier, so please gather opinions from others.

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
We stayed at the Conrad in October of last year. We spent the first two nights in the standard King Villa and upgraded with cash to a King Water Villa for the final four nights.

As a Diamond, free breakfast (we treated it as our breakfast & lunch) was pretty great as was the complimentary happy hour each night. To save money, we mostly ate at the Rangali bar which had good seafood at reasonable (for the resort) prices.

The over water bungalows were great for lounging during the day but occasionally didn't have that feel of privacy, as people from neighboring bungalows could swim by your deck. The King Villas are far removed from the beach and you feel very isolated with an almost jungle atmosphere. We enjoyed mixing up the stay by staying in both room types.

Just an observation, the water appears quite a bit rougher at the Park Hyatt. We enjoyed jumping in the water from our bungalow at the Conrad. It was mild nearly every day.

gasman

Level 2 Member
@CCTWW3 , thanks for the insight! We're headed there in October too. What was the weather like when you were there? Any issue with feeling stuck inside if poor weather, etc?

CCTWW3

Level 2 Member
@CCTWW3 , thanks for the insight! We're headed there in October too. What was the weather like when you were there? Any issue with feeling stuck inside if poor weather, etc?
It rained very badly one afternoon and was near perfect the other six. We honestly could not have asked for better weather. We just napped and read during the storms. It seems, anecdotally, that weather patterns move quickly around there, so we never had that cabin fever feeling.

montmorency

Level 2 Member
Can't comment about CMRI, but we just recently returned from PH Hadahaa. Beautiful resort, excellent snorkeling and diving, the water was not rough at all (I guess it depends on season; we were there late March/early April). We split our stay between their over water villa and land villa (and - as Diamonds - got further upgraded to land POOL villa). In retrospect - I would choose land villa (we snorkeled right off the beach when staying there). Diamonds get free breakfast, free afternoon cocktail with little appetizers (and 20% off cocktails in the evening), welcome amenity - the usual. To me - the only downside of PH Hadahaa is its remote location (from Male - 1 hr plane + 40 min speedboat). But some consider it a plus.
My friends stayed at CMRI and loved it. But then - they are Hilton Diamonds - thus the choice.
I believe either one will be great, and if you are Diamond with one program or another - go with that hotel.

merice107

Level 2 Member
Did the Hyatt in 2014 and the Conrad in 2016. Both in June. Both had diamond status. Some quick thoughts:

The Hyatt is more private as the Conrad is very big. However, if you stay in an overwatervilla at the Conrad then the separate island does give a nice secluded feel closer to (but matching the PH). Diving is better in the Hyatt. More food options at the Conrad. There are also higher end dining options at the Conrad. Easier to get to the Conrad. Service was phenomenal at both.

Honestly, it's the Maldives so you will be happy either way.

Or do both ;)

gasman

Level 2 Member
Late follow up - we thoroughly (read: expensive) enjoyed our stay at CMRI. The dedicated butler/host was fantastic, the room incredible, the snorkeling impressive, food delicious! I would go back in a heartbeat! I haven't been to PH Maldives, but highly recommend getting diamond status prior to going to CMRI. The overwater bungalow was definitely worth the upcharge over redeeming solely points. I was able to go snorkeling from the walk down stairs on the rear of our bungalow and follow sea turtles, steer clear of lion fish, and the odd ray. I still have a picture of the dhoni (traditional boat used to ferry people between islands) and pristine water on my phone's home screen. We were fortunate to be invited for a sunset cruise on the resort's sailboat, which was quite memorable as well. I would recommend any dinners possible at the wine cellar, as it is quite the venue! Every afternoon there was a coctail reception for an hour (maybe two?) for diamond members (which will drop the alcohol expense for those who imbibe).

The only bummer was they wouldn't allow us to go snorkel with whale sharks as my wife was early in pregnancy and blamed it on the potential for rough waters...another discussion entirely. You win some and lose some.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
So I'm considering Maldives next year but I can't seem to figure out the best use of miles to get there. Flying from the East coast and wouldn't mind to connect through some city and spend a few days there. Lots of choices.

gasman

Level 2 Member
Ek=emirates

There are typically two letters (or a letter and number) preceding flight numbers. This will tell you the flight operator/code share of the flight you're looking at.

If I recall correctly, the toughest part for me was finding a DXB-MLE flight on ek in f or j.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
So I'm looking at going to the PH Maldives next year. However, a friend of my SO's warned him of possible terrorism here so now he's thinking against it. Anyone have any information in this area? I tried to tell him that for the most part, we would be stuck on a private island at the hotel but I think he's pretty worried.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Seems like a legit concern. I'd probably avoid it - but I'm the only child of an extremely cautious (and worrying) single parent.

gasman

Level 2 Member
Per capita I think the Maldives supplies more Islamic extremist terrosists than anywhere else. I may be mistaken about this tidbit though. I felt safe when we were there, however I didn't spend any time in Male whatsoever aside from transiting the airport. I would go back.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I was interested in going but then after reading you can't even bring a bottle of wine and have to pay through the nose for hotel provided booze that they get from a special gov't dispensation, we're skipping that for now. Plenty of other idyllic sites to be explored

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I was interested in going but then after reading you can't even bring a bottle of wine and have to pay through the nose for hotel provided booze that they get from a special gov't dispensation, we're skipping that for now. Plenty of other idyllic sites to be explored
Yea I'm already aware that it's going to be super duper expansive since we are limited to what's at the hotel. However I've heard too many good things that I think it's worth a once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon trip. Chances are that we won't ever be able to afford to go in the future once all my miles, points, and cashback offers dry up. But SO isn't convinced yet. I'm not sure where we could go to replace it. No Hyatts in Bora Bora, Tahiti, Fiji and the SPGs are too expensive in points.