Madrid- day trips/overnights?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Excited to head to Madrid next month, we have 6 or 7 nights there and this far I've only booked the first 2 (Love Club Carlson for this)

Does anyone have tips for trips from Madrid, maybe another city where we day trip or spend a couple of nights? We've already been to BCN so will pass on that, but open to traveling 3-6 hrs by car or train if we find a place worth staying for the night.

Keen for any input on Madrid or day trips/ longer trips you guys might have!

Bill U

Level 2 Member
Excited to head to Madrid next month, we have 6 or 7 nights there and this far I've only booked the first 2 (Love Club Carlson for this)

Does anyone have tips for trips from Madrid, maybe another city where we day trip or spend a couple of nights? We've already been to BCN so will pass on that, but open to traveling 3-6 hrs by car or train if we find a place worth staying for the night.

Keen for any input on Madrid or day trips/ longer trips you guys might have!

Bill U

Level 2 Member
Hey Matt:

Just returned from Spain 2 weeks ago. You might enjoy a day or two in Valencia. It's a couple hr train ride (Renfe). The city of Arts and Sciences is pretty impressive. Also, the Market in Russafa has lots to offer. The downtown area has an entire section devoted to the old churches - very interesting. I used Air BNB to score a good place to stay. Have a great time! Spain is very hospitable. Bill U

Barb

Level 2 Member
We loved Spain! So much to see and do. An easy day trip from Madrid would be Toledo, the cathedral was fantastic, but just walking around is wonderful. A quick 1/2 hour high speed train ride from Madrid (we drove). If you're willing to spend up to 6 hours traveling, then I would go to Sevilla or Granada. Granada is pretty much the Alhambra (but wow, it's amazing), a one/two day sort of place, but Sevilla you could spend some real time in. We stayed in local hotels or apts all through Spain. Reasonable and much more of the local vibe.

smittytabb

Staff member
Echo the ideas here. Toledo, Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada are superb with Granada as my favorite of those. A wonderful side trip is Salamanca. Spain has a nice bus system in addition to the trains. My daughter lived in Salamanca for a year and you could catch a bus from the airport. Indeed the best way to get into town in Madrid from the airport is to take the yellow bus from the airport to Atocha station for 5 Euros, or something ridiculous like that. Make sure to spend some time exploring Madrid itself, which is fabulous, IMHO. I keep going back there because there is just so much...Well out of your geographic zone perhaps is the north Atlantic coast. San Sebastian is a hidden gem. For a short trip, if you are into history go to the Escurial and Segovia.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks folks! I was looking at Toledo, and I'd like to go to Granada, I may have seen it as a baby... and I saw Valencia looked nearby too. Glad to hear that they all are good options (as are the others) much appreciated!

Barb

Level 2 Member
We stayed at a great hotel in Granada, owned by an older couple. Lovely clean place, with rooms decorated in an Alhambra theme and awesome shower massage units. Jose, the proprietor is a real character and he took a liking to us. He adheres to the Granada tradition of a free tapas with each drink. Our tapas were huge servings and since there were four of us, it practically ended up being dinner! Rooms were a bargain at only about $50/night and we were there high season.

http://www.hotelalmenas.com/

smittytabb

Staff member
We stayed at a great hotel in Granada, owned by an older couple. Lovely clean place, with rooms decorated in an Alhambra theme and awesome shower massage units. Jose, the proprietor is a real character and he took a liking to us. He adheres to the Granada tradition of a free tapas with each drink. Our tapas were huge servings and since there were four of us, it practically ended up being dinner! Rooms were a bargain at only about $50/night and we were there high season.

http://www.hotelalmenas.com/
Yeah, Granada will really spoil you. Completely forgot about the free tapas with every drink. Thanks @Barb for reminding me about that. It is not like that everywhere else for sure!

JeffB

Level 2 Member
I agree with what everyone else has said. Here are my thoughts.

Valencia is a great place to visit for a couple of nights and is not as touristy as many of the others. Don't miss the City of Arts and Sciences.
Toledo - Great day trip. It takes under an hour by train.
Seville - Another amazing city. You really need at least two nights here.