Luggage....

John

Level 2 Member
I have a fetish for luggage. My bags never grow old because I am always replacing them with the newest, lightest bag and material. I only carry on and never use wheel luggage. This is my bag which in my humble opinion is pound-for-pound, dollar-for-dollar the best bag on the planet. I am fanatical about the weight of my bag empty and when fully packed. I bought a weight watches scale not to weight of food, but to weight everything that goes in my bag. I do not want my bag when packed to go over 16 lbs. The bag below is the lightest (quality). I have found 1 lb, 15oz. Now on Zappos for $96!
http://www.zappos.com/eagle-creek-digi-hauler-backpack-black?ef_id=U2eD5gAAAE0iUz1-:20140524202120:s

I love to be wrong and see someone post a lighter bag that I would consider buying.

Steelsnow

Gold Member
Hi John,

I found an awesome North Face knock called the BigShot 60L in Bangkok (or maybe Chiang Mai) that weighs in just around 1.5 pounds, has a plastic backbone, and also has breathable mesh. Hiked with it all over the Seychelles and La Digue in particular. Longevity? Not sure to be honest, seems reasonable for the weight and is holding up so far through several trips. Weight may well be due to it being a knock without the extra durability built in. Not for the brand addicted, but if you are crazed for light weight bags (and are okay with rolling thru BKK right now, or your next favorite place....) Can't replicate, but thought I would toss the idea out there.

Also, the Camelbak M.U.L.E. without it's water bladder is a killer small lightweight carry-on travel bag with extra external straps for a windbreaker, etc.

John

Level 2 Member
Hi John,

I found an awesome North Face knock called the BigShot 60L in Bangkok (or maybe Chiang Mai) that weighs in just around 1.5 pounds, has a plastic backbone, and also has breathable mesh. Hiked with it all over the Seychelles and La Digue in particular. Longevity? Not sure to be honest, seems reasonable for the weight and is holding up so far through several trips. Weight may well be due to it being a knock without the extra durability built in. Not for the brand addicted, but if you are crazed for light weight bags (and are okay with rolling thru BKK right now, or your next favorite place....) Can't replicate, but thought I would toss the idea out there.

Also, the Camelbak M.U.L.E. without it's water bladder is a killer small lightweight carry-on travel bag with extra external straps for a windbreaker, etc.
Hey Steel,
I like your choices!
The MULE comes in a little heavier at 2.18 lbs it seems to be a top loader as well which I find too difficult. I prefer the clam shell opening. the North Face Bag (good company) weights about 2.2 lbs but again a top loader.

John

Level 2 Member
I use the ebags TLS weekender backpack...it's a little heavier, at 3lb 15oz, but is very durable and comfortable, and fits in all carryon spaces. It's a front-loader which I agree is crucial.
Andy, nice bag and I love the colors in comes in. However, the 3 lbs 5 oz is a deal breaker for me. I am looking to go lower in weight and the bag I use a 1 lb 15 oz bag

tmount

Administrator
I'm more a rollerboard guy - have done a RTW 2 week trips with just a carry-on (and perhaps even more impressively, my wife did the same!)... We've used a variety but of late, Briggs and Riley are the favorite... We put some miles on our bags too... We're at 61k so far this year, with another 83k or so planned for the year. Would love to be able to use a backpack but can't get the weight that low.

John

Level 2 Member
I bought the Victorinox Luggage Werks Traveler 4.0 Wt 20X-Inch Bag
Although it is first rate quality , everytime i check in i have a few stares from the airlines staff. I should have gone with one size smaller
Karen, It is a lovely bag and well made and only 20" x 14 x 9 Most carryon bags are 22 x 14 x 9. How is that type of handle to use? Any wrist issues?
The bag does start you out weighing 8 lbs which for me is too heavy (I carry my bag)

Kreem

Level 2 Member
Karen, It is a lovely bag and well made and only 20" x 14 x 9 Most carryon bags are 22 x 14 x 9. How is that type of handle to use? Any wrist issues?
The bag does start you out weighing 8 lbs which for me is too heavy (I carry my bag)
John, I actually love the twist handle but my wife hates it to the core. i guess there is no middle ground on this one.

FrugalHackMe

Level 2 Member
My wife has been looking for quality luggage for the past month. We finally pulled the trigger on Monday for the TravelPro Maxlite 3 when Southwest was offering 18X points at eBags. Has anyone tried this luggage out?

asthejoeflies

Staff member
I literally use luggage that my parents no longer have use for. However, I was outlet shopping with my wife today (read: bored), and wandered into both Samsonite and Tumi. Could someone please explain to me why luggage is so expensive, and why it's worth it to spring? I have no concept of the market so would love some enlightenment! Or was everything I saw overpriced...

John

Level 2 Member
I literally use luggage that my parents no longer have use for. However, I was outlet shopping with my wife today (read: bored), and wandered into both Samsonite and Tumi. Could someone please explain to me why luggage is so expensive, and why it's worth it to spring? I have no concept of the market so would love some enlightenment! Or was everything I saw overpriced...
I would look at Eagle Creek and even Rick Steves makes good reasonable priced bags. I have used the both and have been happy.

Sooner

Level 2 Member
I've gotta share this for the gals - happened on this blog (don't think she updates it anymore), but it has the best example of packing light for a fashion minded girl that I've seen: http://seventeenthandirving.blogspot.com/2012/12/travel-light-during-winter.html
Basically two weeks in a carry on. Which to the guys is no big deal, but I'm a heavy packer and my husband was thrilled that our last 2 vacations were carry on only. There is also a page for summer travel.

John

Level 2 Member
I've gotta share this for the gals - happened on this blog (don't think she updates it anymore), but it has the best example of packing light for a fashion minded girl that I've seen: http://seventeenthandirving.blogspot.com/2012/12/travel-light-during-winter.html
Basically two weeks in a carry on. Which to the guys is no big deal, but I'm a heavy packer and my husband was thrilled that our last 2 vacations were carry on only. There is also a page for summer travel.
I disagree with that statement that it is no big deal because as guys we don't wish to look fashionable. I am a guy and like to look good, no different than any women. My wife use to pack huge bags now she does it all (3-4 week trips) with carry on and tote. I have pack an extra pair of heels for her if we are heading to a Havana like destination but I perfer her comfortable and on the road coukd care less about heels (home is different). Of course, we do laundry and even dry cleaning on the road.

JeffB

Level 2 Member
I was considering the EC Digi Hauler until eBags sent me a TLS Weekender. The TLS is a little heavy but I like the flexibility and organization with all the different pockets. It is a well built bag.

Has anyone tried the EC Load Warrior? I have been considering that as a new roller.

Paula Hamblen

Level 2 Member
I am also a huge eagle creek fan. I also use their packing cubes which help to keep me organized. If someone is using them for the first time, I recommend starting with one and most people end up purchasing more.

JeffB

Level 2 Member
I am also a huge eagle creek fan. I also use their packing cubes which help to keep me organized. If someone is using them for the first time, I recommend starting with one and most people end up purchasing more.
Have you tried the EC Packing Folders? Those are my favorite.

Sooner

Level 2 Member
I disagree with that statement that it is no big deal because as guys we don't wish to look fashionable. I am a guy and like to look good, no different than any women. My wife use to pack huge bags now she does it all (3-4 week trips) with carry on and tote. I have pack an extra pair of heels for her if we are heading to a Havana like destination but I perfer her comfortable and on the road coukd care less about heels (home is different). Of course, we do laundry and even dry cleaning on the road.
My point of reference is my husband and 2 grown sons. They can pack for weeks out of a backpack!

Sooner

Level 2 Member
Yes I love those also. So easy to sort through a suitcase
I agree about the folders - way better than even a cube. Fold carefully enough, and your clothes look pressed when you arrive. Another really great product for packing is the Cocoon Grid-It Organizer. I bought it for a trip to Hawaii this spring. I put all my chargers, earbuds, jewelry, and my Kindle fits in the zipper pocket. I use it fulltime now in my messenger bag.

John

Level 2 Member
LOL, I have been down that road. I got half cubes, full cubes. I use red for medications/medical stuff, green for socks and underwear and blue for chargers and cables.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Any one know of a light weight 21" rolling carry-on? (I don't want spinner wheels, as the 2" they add to the length of the suitcase cuts down on packing space.) I've looked at the Crew Travel Pro line, but that's not exactly what I want and so am looking for other options. Thanks!

Ryan U

Level 2 Member
I am a huge believer in Briggs and Riley. I have been using one of their bags for over 15 years. Anytime I had a problem, I took it to nearby authorized repair shop and got it back within a week as good as new.

They are pricey, but the lifetime no question warranty is worth it. With the amazon clothes 10% discount they are a very good deal.

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
Check out the luggage selection at your local Costco - or online. I like the Kirkland carry-on ($99) -- it has a polyurethane back with fabric front. It's very light and durable -- the wheels held up well while pushing / pulling it across the cobblestone streets of Italy. Plus Costco guarantees their products. The "carry-on" fit in the overhead bins.

Sesq

Level 2 Member
I am a huge believer in Briggs and Riley. I have been using one of their bags for over 15 years. Anytime I had a problem, I took it to nearby authorized repair shop and got it back within a week as good as new.

They are pricey, but the lifetime no question warranty is worth it. With the amazon clothes 10% discount they are a very good deal.
That's exactly how I purchased my B&R bag (its an e-mail signup for a discount).

This one:
http://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Riley-Inch-Carry-On-20x14x7-3/dp/B001UK36F0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Great bag. It takes some doing but I do get manage to do 5-7 day biz trips with it. I love having only one bag in the airport. Combine with TSA Pre so you can leave fluids and laptops packed and its great.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
I am a huge believer in Briggs and Riley. I have been using one of their bags for over 15 years.
Have they outsourced to China like Tumi has?

Tumi also makes good luggage but it's now made in low cost countries but the price has remained the same.

smittytabb

Staff member
Any one know of a light weight 21" rolling carry-on? (I don't want spinner wheels, as the 2" they add to the length of the suitcase cuts down on packing space.) I've looked at the Crew Travel Pro line, but that's not exactly what I want and so am looking for other options. Thanks!
I wore out my 21" Rick Steves rolling carry-on and that model was out of stock, so I bought this new 20" one that is sized to European carry-on standards. I can fit just as much in this one because of the frame design and I love this bag. I can pack for a month or more in it. I especially love that it expands. So I can carry on going and if I have purchases can expand it and check it going back. https://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=527

montmorency

Level 2 Member
We travel very often, very far and very light. Only carry-ons regardless of how far we go or for how long (and it's a separate topic of how I manage to pack for a carry on!).
I tried various carry-ons - Tumi, GlobeTrotter, Rimowa - you name it! And to me, the best so far is Maxpedition...
It's light and spacious (much more spacious than it looks), durable and decent looking. Compared to some brands - it's almost cheap. I often receive compliments and questions "where did you buy this?".
I feel somewhat reluctant to share this "secret" (tells you how much I love my Maxpedition!), but here goes:

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
Which case is it that you like? Do you carry your bag or roll it? I am a lightweight suitcase junky. Show me a rolling bag 5lb or under, and I am likely to buy it. I tracked down their website and found a huge range of products. The smallest roller bag I found is this one. It weighs 8.9 lb. You said you like lightweight, so I strongly suspect I'm not looking at the case you carry.

montmorency

Level 2 Member
Which case is it that you like? Do you carry your bag or roll it? I am a lightweight suitcase junky. Show me a rolling bag 5lb or under, and I am likely to buy it. I tracked down their website and found a huge range of products. The smallest roller bag I found is this one. It weighs 8.9 lb. You said you like lightweight, so I strongly suspect I'm not looking at the case you carry.
That's exactly the one I was talking about! I have it in brighter green color that currently is not available on their website or Amazon. It's def not 5 lbs or under, but I still consider it lightweight.
For me - weight is less important though (I roll this bag, but you have an option to carry it since they provide a shoulder strap); what I am trying to optimize here is having sufficient space while appearing smaller than it is. I use it on all of my international travels, and several times I was allowed to take it with me on board (as carry on) on small planes flying within Europe. European carry-ons are much smaller than this one, yet this one gives an impression of being sufficiently small to pass their inspection. It's also very well organized in my opinion. But yes, if you are looking at 5 lbs and under - it would not be the one for you.