Lowdown on staying downtown (Manhattan)

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We need an affordable well-situated base-camp hotel in Manhattan, preferably with IHG, where I have elite status and lots of points. There are lots of HI and HIX options but the best prices are way downtown, near Wall Street or the Lower Eastside. Do those locations empty out at night? Will it be a ghost town, if we got uptown for dinner and then return by subway?

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
They are certainly emptier - but I wouldn't consider it a ghost town (although I guess it depends how late you are out). My usual rule of thumb is to pick one close/convenient to a subway line. We tend to spend most of our time on the west-side, so I'm more opt to pick something that makes grabbing those subways convenient like 1/2/3 or A/C , since it's a hassle to say on the east side when you spend all your time on the west side - and vice versa.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We settled on Chelsea. My daughter arrives by bus at 27th St and 7th Ave late and there are lots of hotels in the vicinity. Wall Street has better value but the convenience of not standing on a street corner endlessly at 11:30P is persuasive.

Thanks for the feedback.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
You'll be very happy with Chelsea! Tons of restaurants and easy to get around. I really enjoy Chelsea Market and the High Line starts right by it.