Level 2?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Is there any requirements other than the 50 posts?
I see people that newly joined with one or two posts with Level 2.
(In interest of full disclosure, I was granted it with one or two posts but I'm "well known :eek:" for contributing on FT)

I'm all for the free flow of information... Though I don't see why someone needs it if they don't engage in conversations or add anything constructive to the site. That's just my opinion of course.

Thoughts?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
There is no 50 post requirement. But I'm keen to hear thoughts on Levels in general.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
There is no 50 post requirement. But I'm keen to hear thoughts on Levels in general.
Really? I thought it mentioned it on one of those blue "information" posts, I guess I was wrong. Whoops!
(I really thought it said 50 posts or if you can provide reference [...] Maybe I'm crazy? :confused:)

I'm not looking for TravelCodex type requirements to get access to information (that just lead people to post MS stuff in a resource to gain "points")
I know Level 2 is to prevent indexing of posts/information. Though information suckers aren't much value to the community.

TBH. I really liked the idea behind the Level 3. The fact that if you were willing to put the time and effort in to contributing you gained access.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Really? I thought it mentioned it on one of those blue "information" posts, I guess I was wrong. Whoops!
(I really thought it said 50 posts or if you can provide reference [...] Maybe I'm crazy? :confused:)

I'm not looking for TravelCodex type requirements to get access to information (that just lead people to post MS stuff in a resource to gain "points")
I know Level 2 is to prevent indexing of posts/information. Though information suckers aren't much value to the community.

TBH. I really liked the idea behind the Level 3. The fact that if you were willing to put the time and effort in to contributing you gained access.
There are three reasons for Level 2, one it stops indexing, and two it has a little (not much granted) more vetting than just an open site. I've interacted with everyone who I wasn't sure about, and I upgraded some people who I either knew, or felt that their contact was solid (real names/emails etc) but it certainly is open compared to level 3.

The real benefit of Level 2 is it allows the community to build, and a creates a platform where people can shine. I don't think you need X posts or Y resources built to prove you are a good person, and also I know it can be, and will be, gamed by filler posts. I like level 2 here.

Is your issue with level 2 that people aren't all posting?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Is your issue with level 2 that people aren't all posting?
No real issue per say.
I happen to click on people at random and see someone who's been around for 1-3 months and yet 1 or 2 posts but actively logging on.
Like I said, I'm all for the free flow of information. It's not like FT where someone's going to bite off your head. Contribute!

SuperK

Level 2 Member
I think the levels are a good idea but also wasn't sure on how access was granted. Stated above it looks like everyone interacts with Matt or is in some other way vetted before level 2 access is provided. I just started on the site about a week ago and add to conversation when appropriate but other than that I'm not sure what is specifically looked at for being considered "a good member".

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, that's basically it. If you interact on the site I can get a feel for your posting style and how much you want to be involved. With a lot of new folks it helps to then shoot me a PM or even ask like you did here so I can draw my eye to your background and profile.

Once in Level 2, the simple rules of not being a jerk and not sharing the information you receive there elsewhere (blogs mainly, but other outlets too) are all I ask of folk.

SuperK

Level 2 Member
Yep, that's basically it. If you interact on the site I can get a feel for your posting style and how much you want to be involved. With a lot of new folks it helps to then shoot me a PM or even ask like you did here so I can draw my eye to your background and profile.

Once in Level 2, the simple rules of not being a jerk and not sharing the information you receive there elsewhere (blogs mainly, but other outlets too) are all I ask of folk.
Great, thanks for the info. Looking forward to contributing and interacting with everyone!

Annie H.

Egalatarian
@Matt Why can't I be that secret level 5 :p hell ;)
Because it's secret? I actually PMd Matt a couple weeks ago asking if there were "secret" levels because if there were how would I know about them (why I expected him to answer, other than the fact he's pretty truthful is still a mystery to me.)

I actually like the idea of Level 3. Off the top of my head:
CONS-- folks at Level 3 might stop interacting on Level 2 and helping newbies.

I've been working hard at this for a couple months, probably harder than the average in terms of time spent reading, reaching out for tips, etc. But--it's still taken me about that much time to get comfortable, to develop favorite methods, to know which questions to ask, etc. Maybe it's been harder/taken longer for me because there are so few avenues to purchase GCs or MOs and I haven't been able to get the experience of "being out in the field." I folks just starting out need a couple months at Level 2 to figure things out and then figure out where they want to go.

The hardest part for me is "knowing what I don't know." I have little cheat sheets (I hate it when Wikis are deliberately misleading or FT folks give the wrong answer) for each product I use and add subtract stuff as my knowledge increases. I just found out a couple weeks ago that one could BP or MO with Buxx at WM. Someone I know who is way more experienced than I thought you couldn't use the same ATM for your 3x day Buxx drain. When I was exploring the VComm 7-11 bill pay I thought it would be really nice to just have a resource on it and I started to write one but then I thought--answering questions for new folks is one thing, how-to guides is a little different.

If there were Resources for each product --and I knew there were responsible folks updating them--it would cost me less time reading every day for updates/shutdowns. Not everyone is lucky enough to find a mentor and with things squeezing more every day I've found folks less inclined to share. Finally, in my case I use Simon, Buxx, Serve and MOs, and I'm ready to try a few new products. Perhaps AFT--although it's pretty easy to figure that one out--or some of the other gift cards still available. I feel like I've paid my dues--kind of-- and it would be great for me to have access to "how to guides" for Netspend or Paypal (I know that's easy but it would save me time to have a vetted "How To." And finally, finally--maybe there could be "secret deals"-- or would that be Level 4?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Because you are trouble.
Pshh... Blasphemy.

Because it's secret? I actually PMd Matt a couple weeks ago asking if there were "secret" levels because if there were how would I know about them (why I expected him to answer, other than the fact he's pretty truthful is still a mystery to me.)

I actually like the idea of Level 3. Off the top of my head:
CONS-- folks at Level 3 might stop interacting on Level 2 and helping newbies.
I was joking about a Level 5 and 6. But if there is one... o_O @Matt is slacking and better hand out some access :p jkjk
As for not sharing information. IIRC. Level 3 is something Matt discussed about the Avianca LifeMiles stuff.

Don't believe there is anymore.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Level 4 would probably exist outside of Saverocity. I'm part of a small email group that could be described as a Level 4 in a way. I'm also having dinner this week with another person whom I could say is Level 4 to me personally, as well as visiting with yet another person this weekend who also is effectively Level 4.

Despite this, I still work quite a bit at Level 3 and Level 2. Heck, I even worked at the terrible Level 1 of FT while I was in the Level 4 group for quite a while, before the MS subforum turned into what you see now.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
What happened to FT is the result of us, (me included) trying to keep some sanity over there.
Then people thought it would be funny to start misleading other people and post fake information.
I was never for misleading people. I was always for making people read and understand what they were getting into.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I'm not for misleading people either. I stopped posting about anything that worked many months ago, but if something outright didn't work I'd usually say something. Fake information is just crap. MS is not as easy or glamorous as some might have you think. Dare I say I do not like doing it. I like the rewards, but the actual process, finding deals, etc. is a pain to be honest. I do it anyway for the rewards of course, but this wouldn't count as working at a job I like!

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
So true. It's one of the main reasons I joined TravelCodex and then jumped over here.
While I still love some aspects of FT (Airline forums / OMNI/PR etc.) the MS forum went downhill. Too far... downhill lol

Annie H.

Egalatarian
. MS is not as easy or glamorous as some might have you think. Dare I say I do not like doing it. I like the rewards, but the actual process, finding deals, etc. is a pain to be honest. I do it anyway for the rewards of course, but this wouldn't count as working at a job I like!
Thank you! That's what I have found also. It's a PIA. I thought it was because I was older, less patience, more money, not on my daily commute, etc. PIA, not as easy as one would have you believe. And the record-keeping... That said--no other game in town right now.

Level 4 would probably exist outside of Saverocity. I'm part of a small email group that could be described as a Level 4 in a way. I'm also having dinner this week with another person whom I could say is Level 4 to me personally, as well as visiting with yet another person this weekend who also is effectively Level 4.
You tease... I'm trying to get to 1.75.6, Build 3.3. I'm having lunch tomorrow (Hi, XXX)with someone who might be the only online person in my entire county who does MS. I peg her at a level 3.5 but we shall see what she reveals. I'm really looking forward to it!

DebentureBoy

Level 2 Member
I'm brand new here, so going out on a limb a bit as a newbee (long time FWF guy).

There is a certain magic that needs to happen to keep a forum fresh, useful and long-lasting. FWF has done a pretty good job of it, as has Bogleheads and certainly FT. FT has been a victim of its own success wrt to MS community. I'm sure there are offices at Amex, Chase, etc that are going through FT and the blogs and then making recommendations through the endless departmental reviews on how they can close loopholes in their rewards programs. Thank goodness for departmental reviews so we can exploit these things while the reviews go on and on and on.

Being brand new, I don't know about levels here. I'll have to digest that a bit and think about how that might impact freshness, usefulness and longevity. Maybe it's like the freshman and senior in college listening to the lecture given by the provost. The senior says under his breath: "Wow, it must be great to know as much as he does". The freshman, hearing the senior's words, replies: "Yes, it is great".

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm brand new here, so going out on a limb a bit as a newbee (long time FWF guy).

There is a certain magic that needs to happen to keep a forum fresh, useful and long-lasting. FWF has done a pretty good job of it, as has Bogleheads and certainly FT. FT has been a victim of its own success wrt to MS community. I'm sure there are offices at Amex, Chase, etc that are going through FT and the blogs and then making recommendations through the endless departmental reviews on how they can close loopholes in their rewards programs. Thank goodness for departmental reviews so we can exploit these things while the reviews go on and on and on.

Being brand new, I don't know about levels here. I'll have to digest that a bit and think about how that might impact freshness, usefulness and longevity. Maybe it's like the freshman and senior in college listening to the lecture given by the provost. The senior says under his breath: "Wow, it must be great to know as much as he does". The freshman, hearing the senior's words, replies: "Yes, it is great".
Hey Brian,

Welcome to the forum. I like FWF and Bogleheads and think they are great fora. FT has gone a bit far in the wrong direction for me now, and I don't enjoy being there. As for this site, most of what is going on is behind Level 2. I am always trying to develop the public forum (Level 1) here, but it really is just the tip of the iceberg.

Cheers,
Matt

Andres

Level 2 Member
Matt,

Is there a way to match status level attained with TravelCodex on here? It isn't very clear what it takes to get to Level 2 on this forum. From reading this thread, it seems you somehow make a judgement call based on user posts content.

I am one of the many migrating from FT to the "private forums" for all the reasons mentioned above. My handle on FT and TravelCodex is andres17, so you probably have read some of my material :) Or hopefully another mod knows me.

It would make sense to start at Level 2, and contribute to get to Level 3, as I don't see any topics on Level 1 that are MS related. I understand if this is not an option and I'm required to spend some time on the "General Discussion" talking about Student Loans, Car Donations and the like. But it would be nice to get bumped to Level 2.

andres17

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt,

Is there a way to match status level attained with TravelCodex on here? It isn't very clear what it takes to get to Level 2 on this forum. From reading this thread, it seems you somehow make a judgement call based on user posts content.

I am one of the many migrating from FT to the "private forums" for all the reasons mentioned above. My handle on FT and TravelCodex is andres17, so you probably have read some of my material :) Or hopefully another mod knows me.

It would make sense to start at Level 2, and contribute to get to Level 3, as I don't see any topics on Level 1 that are MS related. I understand if this is not an option and I'm required to spend some time on the "General Discussion" talking about Student Loans, Car Donations and the like. But it would be nice to get bumped to Level 2.

andres17
Hey Andres,

We don't need to status match in people from TC, we just want good members of the community here. On one level, that means I do want people to respect things like student loans and car donations, or IRAs and College planning, because even if they aren't areas of interest to you, they are to the person here who started them.

MS is a very small part of the big picture, and I'm trying to build knowledge in all areas.

That said, we don't have requirements - I don't expect you to write 10 posts of mindnumbing nonsense (both to you and the other guys here) about subjects that don't interest you.

If you want to get into Level 2 you just have to agree to two things, one is to be community minded - I don't want negativity on forum. I don't want people who think they know a few things but are douchebags to newbies, or think they can blame heavy hitters for all the problems in life. So you have to think community minded to stick around. Else we just have another FT.

Secondly, I can't have anything leaving Level 2 - that includes going to Travel Codex, blogs, Flyertalk etc. It's not that we don't highly respect the work of TC and their community, it is just that sometimes we come up with very fragile deals and try to control the information flow to keep them alive - even inside our own walls. Someone who goes off and shares with their own group, as formal or informal, or secret or not secret as it may be screws up our efforts to do this.

So, If you are down with both, you are welcome to join us.

Andres

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree about keeping information segregated between forums (TC, SoC, FT, FW). I'm sure there's information that is common between the forums, probably most of it. But if a deals comes up here, I won't be spilling the beans over the other forums. That would be stupid since I have the same alias across all the major forums and I can see that the users in this forum are the usual "suspects" we come to know. That would get me scorned with them, which is the opposite of my goal here. I want to be a trusted member of the community.

Regarding your first point, I'm very community minded. Also, my knowledge is not solely based on MS. After all, before discovering this hobby, I was a regular at FWF (still am), and pretty much just liked the finance topics over there. So I guess I could begin contributing in some finance related topic over here. I was just being honest, most topics finance related have been covered tens of times, and, opposed to MS, the answers seems to stay the same. After a while you just lose interest I guess. In a way is good for you to have the discussion in your forum since, although repetitious, who knows what will happen to FWF now that they were bought out.

Anyways, hope to see you around.

andres17

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree about keeping information segregated between forums (TC, SoC, FT, FW). I'm sure there's information that is common between the forums, probably most of it. But if a deals comes up here, I won't be spilling the beans over the other forums. That would be stupid since I have the same alias across all the major forums and I can see that the users in this forum are the usual "suspects" we come to know. That would get me scorned with them, which is the opposite of my goal here. I want to be a trusted member of the community.

Regarding your first point, I'm very community minded. Also, my knowledge is not solely based on MS. After all, before discovering this hobby, I was a regular at FWF (still am), and pretty much just liked the finance topics over there. So I guess I could begin contributing in some finance related topic over here. I was just being honest, most topics finance related have been covered tens of times, and, opposed to MS, the answers seems to stay the same. After a while you just lose interest I guess. In a way is good for you to have the discussion in your forum since, although repetitious, who knows what will happen to FWF now that they were bought out.

Anyways, hope to see you around.

andres17
Good stuff. Welcome to level 2

Brennan

Level 2 Member
Hi Matt,

Not sure if this is the right place for the request...I'd like to join level 2. What are the requirements?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt,

Not sure if this is the right place for the request...I'd like to join level 2. What are the requirements?
Nope, it is not ,but it works. For future reference if you want to get in touch with me there is an inbox on the nav menu, use that to 'start a conversation' that will be a Private Message.

Anyway, the rules in Level 2 are the same via PM as here:

You cannot reproduce anything you read here, nothing is to be shared on private groups, fora, blogs, anything - it is only here for your own personal benefit.
We want to build a positive community, so we want posts to avoid the vitriol that you might find on other online arenas. I'd like people to be talking to people.

If you are OK with these rules, I am OK with you being in Level 2.

Cheers,
Matt

Brennan

Level 2 Member
Thanks Matt, that sounds great. I'm looking forward to learning and contributing within the group.