Last minute award availability on CX

MikeM

Level 2 Member
Anybody have a good idea when Cathay releases last minute award availability to Partners such as BA or AA? 2 Weeks out or less?
Thanks in advance!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody have a good idea when Cathay releases last minute award availability to Partners such as BA or AA? 2 Weeks out or less?
Thanks in advance!
I did a test run of Wandr.me tools for CX space and one popped up literally a day before departure..

TheBOSman

Staff member
Yep, you're looking at 7-14 days out for when CX starts to release a seat or seats for awards if multiple seats remain available, but CX can and will release space all the way up until 24 hours in advance. I've seen it happen many times.

El Turk

Level 14 Insurance Salesman
So, question that stems from this (and I guess it can be moved if necessary). My wife and I are booked in CX business (JFK-HK). However, we are hoping for at least one of us to switch to first (both would be ideal, but we know this might not happen). If one of us switches to first, will there be an issue if we change our mind re which of us should sit in first at the last minute? In other words, would they care if my wife sat in first even though I'm the one who is suppose to be in first or vice versa)?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So, question that stems from this (and I guess it can be moved if necessary). My wife and I are booked in CX business (JFK-HK). However, we are hoping for at least one of us to switch to first (both would be ideal, but we know this might not happen). If one of us switches to first, will there be an issue if we change our mind re which of us should sit in first at the last minute? In other words, would they care if my wife sat in first even though I'm the one who is suppose to be in first or vice versa)?
You need to stay strong and say just say NO to her attempts to steal your seat.

smittytabb

Staff member
You need to stay strong and say just say NO to her attempts to steal your seat.
I have to do that with my husband all the time:) He is already hinting that the seats in F I booked on miles sound so good compared to his economy paid by his work (but hopefully upgraded to biz off the waiting list later).

El Turk

Great news, I won't be finding out the answer to this question. We both (+ our infant) jumped on two first class seats that became available this morning!!

Flight leaves next Wednesday!

El Turk

Nice! Any charges/taxes for the infant?
What we did was book via BA (at pre-devaluation rates) for my wife + infant and through AA for me. BA just charges 10% the milage cost of the ticket. It meant that I had to call both airlines simultaneously to snag the two first class seats when they opened up, but I saved a ton in lap fees. There was no way I was paying the ridiculous lap fees CX charges for infants if you use AA miles.

MLH

Level 2 Member
Is there any more specific info than 7-14 days out when CX starts releasing potentially available award space? Time of day I should be checking (morning v evening)? Also, if most of the award space isn't released to partners until 7-14 days out does that mean folks who are looking to take a longer trip just book a one way and then book their return while on vacation?

I checked JFK/LAX/ORD/BOS to HKG for the next 2 weeks and saw 1 available F seat.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
We did HKG-LAX in biz and one of us (me!) grabbed first the night before.

Word of caution. AA screwed up the change. Before leaving for airport I checked CX on line and 1D was in my name! Get to airport and told I had no reservation. Yes I was in seat 1D but ticketed incorrectly. CX said they could not fix. I spent 45 minutes on phone w AA getting it fixed. READ 45 minutes less in THE lounge! Then they debited my account twice for the additional miles. Had to spend time on the phone when I got home straightening that out.

But the flight was awesome. They let me send food and wine back to my husband in biz.

Good luck!

druiddation

Level 2 Member
I had a 10 hour connection in HKG 3 days from now (using AA miles on CX) as that was the only connection available when I booked a few months ago. Yesterday nearly every connection opened up which gave me several better options.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I had a 10 hour connection in HKG 3 days from now (using AA miles on CX) as that was the only connection available when I booked a few months ago. Yesterday nearly every connection opened up which gave me several better options.
A 10hr layover in HKG..I'm so jealous.

MLH

Level 2 Member
Ill be checking and rechecking LAX/JFK/BOS/ORD to try and determine when award spaces are released so I can snag them for a future trip. So in the spirit of sharing here are the details I saw for F availability this morning:
JFK: 1 12/25, 2 12/29
LAX: 1 12/24, 1 12/25
BOS: 1 12/30
ORD: 1 12/29, 2 12/30, 1 12/31

MLH

Level 2 Member
If I book a CX J more than 21 days out then find F available do I still pay the $75 close in fee if I upgrade or is that just if I book my initial ticket within 21 days? Also, can I tack on additional domestic routing without increasing the award cost (I'm in MSP, if I find availability from ORD can I tack on MSP-ORD for free)?

Last edited:

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
The J->F change should be fee-free, but if you want to add a segment it will trigger the $150 change fee (change to origin/destination).

MLH

Level 2 Member
The J->F change should be fee-free, but if you want to add a segment it will trigger the $150 change fee (change to origin/destination).
Thanks NEPIC, I worded one of my questions poorly. What I meant was, when I call to book CX F ORD-BKK can I also have the agent book MSP-ORD and have it still be 67.5k or will I be charged miles for MSP-ORD?

I'm really struggling with this one, can't figure out where I want to route through. ORD would be easiest given its proximity to MSP, but it has fewer chances to upgrade to F (if we snag J initially). JFK or LAX present more chances for F, but neither have any direct flights from MSP on AA. I could snag a direct on a diff airline but then I risk weather delaying us and really screwing up the flight to HKG. Decisions decisions.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Hey,

If you already have ORD-BKK booked and you would like to add MSP-ORD, then absolutely you can do that for the 67.5k miles cost for the one ticket MSP-ORD-HKG-BKK, but you will be charged $150 as you're changing the origin of the award.

Agree on JFK having better odds. If you can find availability, I might suggest booking MSP-LGA if you're ok doing uber for the transfer. This would preserve both options for F out of ORD or JFK. Just my 2c. :)

MLH

Level 2 Member
Hey,

If you already have ORD-BKK booked and you would like to add MSP-ORD, then absolutely you can do that for the 67.5k miles cost for the one ticket MSP-ORD-HKG-BKK, but you will be charged $150 as you're changing the origin of the award.

Agree on JFK having better odds. If you can find availability, I might suggest booking MSP-LGA if you're ok doing uber for the transfer. This would preserve both options for F out of ORD or JFK. Just my 2c. :)
I don't have anything booked yet, still trying to make up my mind. What if I make MSP the initial booking origin? Book MSP-ORD-HKG-BKK. Then I could change the connection to JFK or LAX if F opens up from either and the change would be free since my origin (MSP) and destination (BKK) remain the same. Would that still be 67.5k since its still just North America to SE Asia or would they charge me more because of the MSP-ORD flight?
Appreciate the help. Merry Christmas!

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
I don't have anything booked yet, still trying to make up my mind. What if I make MSP the initial booking origin? Book MSP-ORD-HKG-BKK. Then I could change the connection to JFK or LAX if F opens up from either and the change would be free since my origin (MSP) and destination (BKK) remain the same. Would that still be 67.5k since its still just North America to SE Asia or would they charge me more because of the MSP-ORD flight?
Appreciate the help. Merry Christmas!
Yes! If you keep MSP (origin) to BKK (destination) you should be able to change the routing without additional miles and change fees. I think it's better to book this initially as it preserves the fee-free option to change.

Also to consider - are you desired travel dates before or after the March 21 changes?

And merry Christmas to you!

MLH

Level 2 Member
Yes! If you keep MSP (origin) to BKK (destination) you should be able to change the routing without additional miles and change fees. I think it's better to book this initially as it preserves the fee-free option to change.

Also to consider - are you desired travel dates before or after the March 21 changes?

And merry Christmas to you!
Looking to travel end of Jan and return a few weeks later, so well before the new Award chart goes in to effect.

So really, all I need to do is book MSP-BKK through any gateway like JFK/LAX for any date and then change/upgrade as F (hopefully) becomes available around when we want to leave.

All this planning and I haven't even looked at availability for returning! :eek:

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Looking to travel end of Jan and return a few weeks later, so well before the new Award chart goes in to effect.

So really, all I need to do is book MSP-BKK through any gateway like JFK/LAX for any date and then change/upgrade as F (hopefully) becomes available around when we want to leave.

All this planning and I haven't even looked at availability for returning! :eek:
Well at least that avoids another variable (will AA price changes at old or new rates?), so that's good!

MLH

Level 2 Member
Got my MSP-ORD-HKG-BKK booked in J, hoping F will open up. Anybody have any tips on checking F seats available? I have no interest in paying for ExpertFlyer or AwardNexus because I just don't fly enough to make it worthwhile.

jdlucas24

Level 2 Member
I find British Airways site to be best for checking CX space available to oneworld partners. It will show you the exact number of seats on a given flight in each class available for award booking.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Got my MSP-ORD-HKG-BKK booked in J, hoping F will open up. Anybody have any tips on checking F seats available? I have no interest in paying for ExpertFlyer or AwardNexus because I just don't fly enough to make it worthwhile.
I have ExpertFlyer (for now). I could add in an alert for you. But, CX doesn't show up on expertflyer.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Nice! As just mentioned, it's really a manual process. Depending on how far out you are, I'd recommend checking BA daily, and at maybe two weeks out increasing that to as frequently as you can tolerate. :)

MLH

Level 2 Member
I find British Airways site to be best for checking CX space available to oneworld partners. It will show you the exact number of seats on a given flight in each class available for award booking.
Nice! As just mentioned, it's really a manual process. Depending on how far out you are, I'd recommend checking BA daily, and at maybe two weeks out increasing that to as frequently as you can tolerate. :)
I'm not quite 2 weeks out, but getting close. I've been checking BA pretty regularly just to get a feel for when something might be released.
I'm more curious how many F are open for purchase, with the thinking being the more open seats there are the greater the chances some will get released for award as we get closer to departure.

I have ExpertFlyer (for now). I could add in an alert for you. But, CX doesn't show up on expertflyer.
I'm pretty locked in to flying CX, so if it doesn't show up on EF it doesn't sound like it'll work. But I appreciate the offer!

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
BA.com won't let me check for award space unless I have points in excess of what is required for the award. Has anyone found a way around this, and if so, what?

Suzie

Level 2 Member
BA.com won't let me check for award space unless I have points in excess of what is required for the award. Has anyone found a way around this, and if so, what?
Do you have a BA account? I sign in with my BA account and I only have 53,000 miles on BA. I use it to search CX frequently for much higher redemption values than 53,000.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
That is strange. I just checked and I can search just fine with a grand total of 970 avios in my account!

I usually go via My Executive Club->Recent Searches-> Continue Booking and then just edit as needed, as a new search tends to error out at the first attempt.

MLH

Level 2 Member
That is strange. I just checked and I can search just fine with a grand total of 970 avios in my account!
I usually go via My Executive Club->Recent Searches-> Continue Booking and then just edit as needed, as a new search tends to error out at the first attempt.
Odd. I have 0 Avios (have never had any in fact) and yet I've run close to 1000 searches in the last few weeks. I always follow the same path - Login, Spending Avios, Book Reward Flight.

MLH

Level 2 Member
I assume JAL F > CX J? While checking to see if any CX F opened up around my departure date I noticed 2 JAL F open instead. As long as they don't try to charge me for making a change it won't hurt to snag JAL F with the hope that CX F still opens up.

NEPIC

Level 2 Member
Yes, I would say definitely a better product. But up to you if it's worth whatever additional time/effort the connection in Tokyo brings. I'm not sure what product they have for TYO-BKK and if this sector is operated from NRT or HND.

Assuming the connection time doesn't affect overall journey too much, and you don't need to schlep across Tokyo to change airports, I would personally take JL F over CX J. Given the impending increase in F costs, I'd much rather lock in the certain gain than wait out CX and hope! Just my personal choice though.

Last edited: