Kroger/Ralphs: 40c/gal off gas w/ $100 GC purchase

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
Got a little coupon/flier thing printed out with my groceries today. Starting November 19th, spend $100 on GCs get 40c/gal off of gas. Seems that it will be running for about a month.

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
Very cool. And since the promo will still be running December 1, that would be the best day to make a large gift card purchase because those fuel points would be good all the way through Jan 31st.

zceuxbhjutf

Panel 3 Member
We should probably form a trading club where SoCal folk trade (near-worthless) Kroger/Ralphs fuel points for Safeway/Vons fuel points.

Fine print: no matter how many Ralphs points we have, the most (per gas station visit) we're allowed to use is 20c/gal. And they're only good at gas stations that tend to charge about 15c/gal more than the competition LOL. Vons is $1/gal max, and competitively priced.

projectx

Level 2 Member
...no matter how many Ralphs points we have, the most (per gas station visit) we're allowed to use is 20c/gal. And they're only good at gas stations that tend to charge about 15c/gal more than the competition LOL. Vons is $1/gal max, and competitively priced.
I mean this sincerely when I ask... Are you being serious? Max 20 cents a gallon? That's absurd. The Kroger stores in my area allow up to $1/gallon.

Anyway to the OP, thanks for the heads up. Although the fee washes out the CB you'll receive, if you still have a 5x grocery card this is a great way to rack up some serious fuel points.

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
Just a heads up, my local Ralph's is ringing the promo up at only 20c/gal off. 200 points, when it should be 400.

Weezl

Level 2 Member
Kroger/Ralphs/Safeway 4x gas points today, Saturday Jan 17, 2015.

The way I see this, it's not such a great deal for me. Here's my math:

1. Buy $100 VGC x 5 = $29.75
2. I will get 1030 UR with my 2x Chase MP Select plus 2120 fuel points
3. If I am allowed to get $1/gallon off (big IF), and since my car typically fills up with 12-13 gallons at a time, I will get back about $25 in fuel savings over 2 separate fill-ups. But I usually get gas at Costco, which is 10-20c/gal cheaper than most Shell's around here. So using the minimum 10c/gal Costco difference, I really only "get back" about 90c/gal, or about $22 in fuel savings over 2 separate fill-ups. The net cost to me will be $7.75 for 1030 UR (0.75c/point).

If you can actually get $1 off and can actually use it on 35 gallons, this would be $35 fuel savings and you would NET $5.25! Good Deal for you.

But for me, with Staples and my INK card, on $200 VGC, I spend $6.95 to get 1035 UR. (0.67c/point)
And...
With the typical $500 variable load Visa at my grocery store for $5.95, using my 2x Chase MP Select, I get 1012 UR
(0.59c/point; translates to a $147 cost for 25K United, Hyatt, points, etc)

I love UR, so this obviously does not apply to Barclay 2.2x or WF 5x lovers.

As for the Freedom 5x deal this quarter and the 2.4x or 7.5x Amex EveryDay cards (depending on which you have) I have already hit my $1.5K quarterly and $6K yearly max, respectively for these cards, so I do not count this gas deal as losing to those spend opportunities.

So this 4x gas deal, while interesting on paper, doesn't float my boat. Now, if we could find some $200 non-variable VGCs at the Kroger chain, that would be something! Or if I ever get a car with a larger tank, or bring Ms Weezl along for fill-ups, it might be more enticing.

For now, I'll stick with Costco for gas.