Korean Air for Emirates

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Yikes! I am able to book Emirates First using Korean but the surcharges are $1500 PER PERSON! Not sure if It might not be better to use another like Alaska which has tiny surcharges though more miles.

Using TPGs valuation, my miles are about $3500 so it would be $5000 including the surcharge.

Ideas?

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Best deal. I've seen a lot of posts saying Korean is best partner to book EK as Alaska raised the mileage requirement. I was just surprised at the co-pay or whatever you call it.

I guess that's why you can't believe everything you read. Actually I don't have enough Alaska miles yet. Fortunately Korean lets you hold it for a month. I can decide which is better.

jleey98

Level 2 Member
Best deal. I've seen a lot of posts saying Korean is best partner to book EK as Alaska raised the mileage requirement. I was just surprised at the co-pay or whatever you call it.

I guess that's why you can't believe everything you read. Actually I don't have enough Alaska miles yet. Fortunately Korean lets you hold it for a month. I can decide which is better.
Maybe you're confusing Korean Air (KAL) with Japan Airlines (JAL)? After the devaluation, a lot of people wrote about how Japan Airlines are now the best way to book Emirates first class awards (135K round trip plus ~$75, very minimal taxes/surcharges)? The problem with JAL is that their miles are hard to accrue since the only way to accrue them (other than flying, of course) is to build up a Starwood point balance.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Am I writing in Korean? I'm trying to book Emirates first with miles and do the best I can. People say Alaska is no good because they charge more miles, but it seems a wash with Korean because of the huge fees.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Korean Air, unlike Alaska, does not permit one-way awards on partner airlines.
Yikes! I am able to book Emirates First using Korean but the surcharges are $1500 PER PERSON! Not sure if It might not be better to use another like Alaska which has tiny surcharges though more miles.

Using TPGs valuation, my miles are about $3500 so it would be $5000 including the surcharge.

Ideas?
Your first two posts appeared to be a conversation with yourself.

Am I writing in Korean? I'm trying to book Emirates first with miles and do the best I can. People say Alaska is no good because they charge more miles, but it seems a wash with Korean because of the huge fees.
No, you are writing in English, but if you don't give us context, it is hard to help you.

If you want help to find out the best way to fly Emirates First then a good way to do that is:

"Hi,

I really want to fly Emirates first from X-Y, I've got some points in ABC, what programs would you recommend looking at for this?

Thanks for your help!

HG"

You could add in your data points then like:

I've looked at Alaska for this but the $1500 fuel charge was really high, are there programs that are cheaper?

Award programs work on a mix of regional and distance based pricing, so being aware of the itinerary helps come up with ideas too.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK Thanks. I thought my original póst might have specified. Can I just delete the whole thing? It seems Korean has lower mileage but much higher fees and you can only book RT. Alaska has higher mileage very low fees and can book 1 way. Looking at JFK-DXB in janvier. Can get return for 210K + $1500 using Korea miles.

OW on Alaska is 150K and practically zero fee.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
OK Thanks. I thought my original póst might have specified. Can I just delete the whole thing? It seems Korean has lower mileage but much higher fees and you can only book RT. Alaska has higher mileage very low fees and can book 1 way. Looking at JFK-DXB in janvier. Can get return for 210K + $1500 using Korea miles.

OW on Alaska is 150K and practically zero fee.
OK so you are looking for:

One way JFK-DXB, Emirates First?

What points do you have?

jleey98

Level 2 Member
Didn't mean to offend you. I'm just sharing my best knowledge with you.
If you have roughly 110k Starwood points, you can turn that into 135 JAL Mileage bank miles and book a first class roundtrip with around $75 in fees (last I heard). It's probably the most attractive deal, but SPG are the hardest to accrue.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK. Thanks all. I'm pretty new to the game. Not ever paying $26000 for any one way fare but heard Emirates was great experience. I'm old so won't have forever to try it. Was hoping for one way but Alaska wants $150K miles. Korean only wants 105K but you have to take RT and the fees are $1500.

I heard of JAL but don't have any points to transfer to them.

I have booked Korean but have until 7 November to change mind. Need to be warm in January so DXB seemed a nice idea. Once I decide, then can use my $350K LifeMiles to get from DXB to wherever and back again for return flight.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Fuel surcharges and other fees are tricky and apparently constantly changing things. Late last year when I was researching a trip to South Africa, it looked like I had 2 award options in Biz: Aeroplan, which offered a RT non stop on SAA from JFK to JNB for 150k + $11 fees (something like that) OR Alaska on Emirates with a stop in DBX for 155k and low fees. So I've been working on miles both options and have them. Almost ready to book now (schedules should show in 1-2 weeks) the flights I see now are terrible. Aeroplan's SAA offerings now include $800-1500 in fees for 2. Alaska's offerings are now mixed cabin with 600-700 in fees. Ick.

I have poked around for long periods of times and had better options (low fee) come up via Aeroplan ... but will have to wait until my dates are realistic to be sure.

In the meantime, now that the non stop options seem to be gone, United has some realistic options although it would take ALL of my UA/UR miles and points (320k RT for 2), but the fees are pocket change and the flight options are practical.

Will see. I'm getting anxious tho!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
My main things are 1) Experience Emirates First, 2) spend time in Dubai in winter and stay in the hotel where our friend is the GM. From there we will go where my LifeMiles can take us as we will be relatively flexible.