Kings Canyon National Park: An Underrated Gem

italdesign

Level 2 Member

I’ll keep this short and let the pictures do most of the talking, but I wholeheartedly enjoyed Kings Canyon National Park on my first Sierra Nevada visit in late July. Kings Canyon and Sequoia are managed as one national park, but visitors to Sequoia (SE) far outnumber that of Kings Canyon (KI), making KI one of the least visited national parks. I enjoyed SE as well but found KI more extraordinary. And while I might prefer nearby Yosemite slightly to KI, it’s mostly because of Yosemite’s enormous casual recreation opportunity, whereas most of KI is multi-day-hike backcountry. Indeed, some of the most loved backpacking in the Sierra lie within KI. But driving through the namesake canyon is wonderful in itself, the vast canyon nothing short of majestic. At the bottom is the crystal clear Kings River, a refreshing treat in the hot summer.

As I said in my first post-Covid-19 trip report, I look forward to discovering more gems within driving distance. Kings Canyon did not disappoint. It’s beautiful and lightly visited – ideal during Covid-19. I highly recommend it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature

No photo description available.

Hume Lake

{ Did I just get transported to the Appalachian? I could see some good fall foliage here. }

Image may contain: tree, sky, mountain, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Roaring River Falls

Image may contain: plant, outdoor, nature and water

General Grant – the 2nd largest tree in the world

The post Kings Canyon National Park: An Underrated Gem appeared first on Points Adventure.

Continue reading...

JJAviator

Level 2 Member
Nice! Thanks for this post. We were booked for Kings Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite in a few weeks but ended up cancelling. Even got our flu shot.

We figure maybe in the late spring it'll be a go.