Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
We're spending a week in Zihuatanejo at the end of January. Does anyone have any "don't miss" ideas for our trip?

I got a jaw droopingly good rate on a rental car, and we can drive, if necessary. Husband is thinking a day trip to Acapulco might be nice.

slickmouse

Level 2 Member
I went to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo way back in 1987 - just after graduating High School. Loved it there. I remember a little lunch shack that advertised 'Fresh Chicken'....they were still alive on the roof. I'm sure things have changed since I was there - but I seem to remember a bar on the beach. I swear it was named Carlos and Charlies (but this would have been way before the chain became known). Huge margaritas and a boardwalk out to the beach. My other memory was a restaurant we went to for dinner - but they had a sign out front 'Sorry Closed..Wake up with hangover.' Nice little courtyard/garden area where most of the nicer restaurants+ were.

But my favorite thing was hanging out on the beach and body surfing - the waves were HUGE! Met some locals and sat around and talked.

Have fun!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the info. It seems like Zihua hasn't changed as much as a lot of the towns on the coast in MX--both Caribbean and Pacific. That's one reason that I wanted to go there.

We both have fond memories of Tulum in 2002. I don't think that we'd recognize it, today, after all the condos and upscale boutiques moved in.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I will. Right now it's heading down to around 0F here in MN...and I'm looking forward to over 80F!

smittytabb

Staff member
We're spending a week in Zihuatanejo at the end of January. Does anyone have any "don't miss" ideas for our trip?

I got a jaw droopingly good rate on a rental car, and we can drive, if necessary. Husband is thinking a day trip to Acapulco might be nice.
OK, I be will honest. I am not one of these people who is buying into the fear frenzy of the media. I am widely traveled in Latin America and have gone to plenty of countries during active State Department travel warnings. I personally would not take a day trip by land to Acapulco. I was last there a couple of years ago and it felt scary then, even to me. From what I have read, it has deteriorated a good bit since then. I took a day trip out to see an archeological site and it was eery on the highways they were so deserted. Truly, it was one of these times where you are thinking to yourself, "did I underestimate the dangers here?" This is from State Department and this time I think I would consider it worthy of a read.

"Travel to Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo only by air or cruise ship, exercise caution, and remain in tourist areas. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling within Guerrero state by land, including via the 95D toll road (“cuota”) to/from Mexico City and Acapulco, as well as highway 200 between Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. In Acapulco, defer non-essential travel to areas further than two blocks inland of the Costera Miguel Aleman Boulevard, which parallels the popular beach areas."

I always cross reference travel warnings from other countries like UK, Canada and Australia and they are similar, if not as detailed.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

OK, I will honest. I am not one of these people who is buying into the fear frenzy of the media. I am widely traveled in Latin America and have gone to plenty of countries during active State Department travel warnings. I personally would not take a day trip by land to Acapulco. I was last there a couple of years ago and it felt scary then, even to me. From what I have read, it has deteriorated a good bit since then. I took a day trip out to see an archeological site and it was eery on the highways they were so deserted. Truly, it was one of these times where you are thinking to yourself, "did I underestimate the dangers here?" This is from State Department and this time I think I would consider it worthy of a read.

"Travel to Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo only by air or cruise ship, exercise caution, and remain in tourist areas. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from traveling within Guerrero state by land, including via the 95D toll road (“cuota”) to/from Mexico City and Acapulco, as well as highway 200 between Acapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. In Acapulco, defer non-essential travel to areas further than two blocks inland of the Costera Miguel Aleman Boulevard, which parallels the popular beach areas."
Don't feel bad, Aculpulco is a shithole and very dangerous. I was in Mexico when they murdered all those Spaniards in one of the hotels. The next week a whole bunch of people got kidnapped. This was a few years ago and I've heard there hasn't been any improvement since then.

smittytabb

Staff member
Don't feel bad, Aculpulco is a shithole and very dangerous. I was in Mexico when they murdered all those Spaniards in one of the hotels. The next week a whole bunch of people got kidnapped. This was a few years ago and I've heard there hasn't been any improvement since then.
Um yeah. This is not 1987 and this is not tu madre's Acapulco. I cannot think of too many famed destinations that were so far from what I expected once on the ground. I would not drive on those roads again and frankly there is nothing about the city worth the trip. I went to the archeological site because I thought it was more interesting than anything in the small set of streets deemed safe. I think the rental car is cheap for a reason.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Thanks, Smitty. I would take your word over the State Dept, any day. Maybe we'll un-rent the car--still have three weeks--and stick to the town of Zihua. Ixtapa, with the glitz, is not my type of place, at all.

smittytabb

Staff member
I am so glad I visited Zona Arqueologica de Tehuacalco, but I am into that kind of thing. I think the roads in Guerrero state are pretty iffy at the moment and I guess I would stay put. I hate that so many are not going to Mexico now. They need the tourism dollars. But, for people going, you have to know where to go and where not to go. I assumed the whole safety thing was overplayed until I got to Acapulco, which at the time was not on any list for being off limits. I hope the current situation on the ground improves. Shortly after I was there I started seeing more in the press about how dangerous it was and I realized my instincts had been correct.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
That does sound wonderful...but I think we'll skip it this trip. We went to both Coba and the ruins at Tulum when we were there in 2002. Climbing the pyramid at Coba was beyond amazing. It's so sad that large areas of a beautiful country are under the thumb of the cartels.

smittytabb

Staff member
That does sound wonderful...but I think we'll skip it this trip. We went to both Coba and the ruins at Tulum when we were there in 2002. Climbing the pyramid at Coba was beyond amazing. It's so sad that large areas of a beautiful country are under the thumb of the cartels.
I love Tulum. Amazing setting and the only one Mayans put on the water. I have so much still to see in Mexico...such a sad tragedy both of cultural and human cost.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
If you haven't seen Coba...it's not that far from Tulum, and, as of 2002, was still being excavated. There's a small town there, with true Mayan, as opposed to generic Mexican cooking in the open air restaurant. Maybe I should say "was."

And, on the same road, a large cenote that's incredibly clear, so you can swim in in and see the bottom, at least 20 feet down. There are cave diving tours from it, as well, but we just took a swim and headed to Coba.