It’s Not only a paper loss…

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

While chatting with an established financial advisor earlier in the week he brought up a line that I hear propagated within the planning community. The line is The biggest financial mistake that people make is selling at the bottom of the market. This really isn’t an accurate statement, and while some people know the difference, in the world of half baked advice and Chinese Whispers people make major financial mistakes from failing to understand what is being said.

The truth behind this myth is the line people are really saying is:

The biggest financial mistake you can ever make is not buying at the bottom of the market. Since nobody can tell exactly when the bottom of the market really is, the solution is to buy, hold and ride it out. This means that you guarantee to hit rock bottom (and come back up again). However, this is actually really bad advice, especially if you are an indexed investor.

The problems that I see arise from this are the line of thinking: It’s only a real loss when you sell it. Which is correct. The IRS will only recognize the loss when you sell it. That’s very important to understand. Most people think it means ‘if you don’t sell, you aren’t losing’ and that is incorrect. The fair market value of your investments is what it is. Sell or not sell. However, when an investment has declined in value there is a phantom event occurring in tandem with this. The amount that you have lost is actually an asset, but it can only be captured if you sell.

Example:

Billy and Joel both own a small cap ETF, they bought 1000 shares for $80 each. The market crashed, and the share price is now at $40.

Billy sells at $50 (he doesn’t know when the bottom is, but its a good enough number) he immediately buys back into a fund that tracks a different index, that protects him against a wash sale claim. Sale orders and impact:

• Buy 1000 of ABC @ $80 = -$80,000
  • Sell 1000 of ABC @ $50 = $50,000 and $30,000 cap loss harvest
  • Buy 500 of XYZ @ $100 = -$50,000
Joel just buys and holds:

• Buy 1000 of ABC @ $80 = -$80,000
Two years later the markets have rebounded and the share prices for both ABC and XYZ have returned to their former highs. Joel is commended for not selling when the market was low as he has managed to ‘survive this rocky time’. But while he is being patted on the back, when we look at the balance sheets for both, they both have an investment valued today at $80,000 again, but Billy also has a $30,000 cap loss harvest that can be carried forward ($3,000 at a time) every year against regular income.

Want some really good advice?

You should sell at the bottom of the market, and you should buy back in again right away in an investment that is not considered ‘substantially the same’. This means that you can work around the Wash Sale rules that are in place to stop you doing this. If you want to read more on the ‘how to guide’ for that, check out the post Capitial Loss Harvesting for Passive Investors. Since you don’t know when exactly the bottom might be, you should pick an amount of loss that you think acceptable, and deploy this strategy then. Perhaps a 5% decline is sufficient.

This applies to taxable and to rollover Roth accounts

Tax loss harvesting works best in unshielded accounts, so a regular brokerage works, where a retirement account does not. However that doesn’t mean that you cannot reclaim paid taxes on ‘failed rollovers’. This means that if you do have a losing position in a rolled over Roth you can elect to recharacterize it into a Traditional IRA. This reversal of process grants a rebate on the taxes paid at the time of the conversion (from 1099-R income). So if you see a loss in such accounts, remember, it isn’t a paper loss unless you just let it be that. It is an opportunity to reduce your taxes.

If you have enough money in the accounts, Robo investments like WealthFront, Betterment and FutureAdvisor will do this for you, but if you do elect to go it alone and follow a rebalancing approach to investing, consider the advantages of harvesting losses while maintaining your stated diversification goals.

The post It’s Not only a paper loss… appeared first on Saverocity Finance.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of people on Twitter asked why there is no mention of the shift in taxes. They bring up a valid point that is by following the above you simply are deferring tax until a later date, as the basis in the $80K investment is now $50K. The purpose of this strategy is to reduce current Ordinary Income via tax loss harvesting carry forward.

The theory being that your current Ordinary Rate will be considerably more than your future Long Term Cap Gain rate in retirement.

Trevor

Level 2 Member
Great post. I've gone through all but the capstone course towards a financial planning degree, and not a single textbook ever covers this.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Great post. I've gone through all but the capstone course towards a financial planning degree, and not a single textbook ever covers this.
Capstone? You mean you are studying for the FP Certificate towards CFP?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Franklin University, in Ohio, offers a bachelors degree in financial planning. I've taken all other courses except my capstone course.
Cool - why not ask your professor what they think about this? The essence of the 'gig' here is that LTCG are lower than present Ordinary Income, so shifting today saves the spread on that, and bigger picture, in retirement (providing they don't change the Cap Gains rules) you'd be earning even less and in a lower to perhaps zero bracket.

Trevor

Level 2 Member
Cool - why not ask your professor what they think about this? The essence of the 'gig' here is that LTCG are lower than present Ordinary Income, so shifting today saves the spread on that, and bigger picture, in retirement (providing they don't change the Cap Gains rules) you'd be earning even less and in a lower to perhaps zero bracket.
Definitely will....now just to get back on track to finish that last class....shhhh...don't bring it up to my wife :)

Gatelouse

Level 2 Member
"If you have enough money in the accounts, Robo investments like WealthFront, Betterment and FutureAdvisor will do this for you..."

Do what? Auto-rebalance if you've set targets? Or something else?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
"If you have enough money in the accounts, Robo investments like WealthFront, Betterment and FutureAdvisor will do this for you..."

Do what? Auto-rebalance if you've set targets? Or something else?
Tax loss harvest via etf pairing. Rebalancing is a distinct action from this.

JoeK

Level 2 Member
This is a really interesting idea that I'd never considered, or even heard discussed, before.

Thanks for sharing.

lpaca

Level 2 Member
This is why I went with Betterment instead of Vanguard (no automatic TLH) or Wealthfront (higher fees) - I'm betting that Tax Loss Harvesting will save me more than the fees Betterment charges. I think it's hard for the average investor to do TLH effectively, at the right times, not get hit with too many fees, and get all the paperwork straight to avoid the Wash Rule.

There's still another opportunity to do more than TLH though. What the roboinvestors don't do yet is Tax Gain Harvesting, which can make sense post-FIRE. If you're in the 10-15% tax bracket based on income, you can harvest up to the top of the 15% income bracket in long term gains (income + long term gains <=74.9k for married) without paying a dime in taxes. Add in the $4k per person personal exemption and $12.6k standard deduction (married) in 2015, and a couple can have 20.6k in ordinary income (e.g. wages + short term gains) and 74.9k in long term cap gains in a year, and pay $0 in taxes. Put another way, you could have 95.5k worth of take home income in 2015 without paying anything in taxes, if at least 74.9k of that 95.5k is long term capital gains. Note that if say your split is 50k wages and 45.5k long term gains, you still pay 0 tax on the 45.5k long term gains you "harvested," but you do pay taxes on the 50k wages (minus exemption, deduction).

TLH makes more sense when you're earning more and the market is down, and TGH makes more sense when you're earning less (in wages) and the market is up. Ideally you do a lot of TLH pre-FIRE and TGH post-FIRE.