Is this trip going to be monotone/repetitive?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I have the following idea for Feb 2018:

3 days in Luang Prabang
4 days in Chiang Rai (lazy resort days).
1 day in Bangkok (maybe)
5 days in Siem Reap.

Individually, all three small towns are high in my wishlist (CR is just to enjoy the resort at SPG cat2 rate). However, the main attraction in all 3 towns is temples and ruins, hence the concern about repetition. The first 2 destinations are more or less set in stone, only Siem Reap is flexible. Ideally I'd like to go somewhere like Borneo (nature) or Phu Quoc (beach) instead, but the airfare is difficult from CR. I could split the last 5-6 days between SR and something else, though I don't mind to spend it all in SR if it's more enjoyable at slow pace (I like taking time to enjoy things).

Thoughts?

smittytabb

Staff member
Been to all but Chiang Rai. Five days in Siem Reap is a lot. I adored Luang Prabang btw, as in it is one of my favorite places ever...

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I have the following idea for Feb 2018:

3 days in Luang Prabang
4 days in Chiang Rai (lazy resort days).
1 day in Bangkok (maybe)
5 days in Siem Reap.

Individually, all three small towns are high in my wishlist (CR is just to enjoy the resort at SPG cat2 rate). However, the main attraction in all 3 towns is temples and ruins, hence the concern about repetition. The first 2 destinations are more or less set in stone, only Siem Reap is flexible. Ideally I'd like to go somewhere like Borneo (nature) or Phu Quoc (beach) instead, but the airfare is difficult from CR. I could split the last 5-6 days between SR and something else, though I don't mind to spend it all in SR if it's more enjoyable at slow pace (I like taking time to enjoy things).

Thoughts?
OK. I am way more a city guy but even so. Luang Prabang is fine, enough to do and not at all like siem Reap which has of course all of the temples. I still think 5 days is too long there We have been 3 times and 3 days might be enough, though depends on how early/late your flights are. It takes longer to do things now since they built it up in the last 5 years.

I suppose a llazy resort is a lazy resort so Chiang Rai seems fine. We stayed in Chiang Saen which is right by the border w/Laos, Myanmar. It was a Meridian but has probably changed affiliations since then. There are elehants to see and the opium museum(max 1 hour)

If you arent spending at least 2 days in BKK, I wouldn't bother. 3 would be better and stay down near the Chao Phrya if possible.

There's always some amount of duplication but these places are not just same old. OK now I see why Chiang Rai. Maybe just take a day or 2 from Siem Reap and see Phnom Penh. Killing fields and Tuol Sleng are gruesome but I'm glad to have seen them.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I would say 3 (full-not travel) days in Siem Reap. We like to take our time also and even went back to one of the temples a second day. Be sure to purchase a multi day pass.

We had a 1.5 days in Bangkok and that was enough for us. But unlike HanoiIG, we aren't city people.

Can't speak to Chiang Rai, we went to Chiang Mai and loved it. Chiang Rai sounds like a great place for a couple of lazy days.