Is there any way to get back into Chase's good graces after cc closure?

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
My card was shut down 6 months ago for MS even though it was only one single transaction. A pissed off credit union agent telephoned Chase directly to alert them and that was it. Now whenever I put in application, despite a perfect credit score/history, I get denied on the basis of unsatisfactory relationship with bank. Will this continue to haunt me forever or will I eventually be welcomed back and is there anything that can be done in the meantime to smooth things out? I'd like to apply for a Marriott Rewards card before the coming points devaluation in August.

dockers

Level 2 Member
Wait, you MS'd on a Chase card or CU card?? I'd love to hear the backstory on this.

To answer your question, the DPs I've seen indicate that you may be able to open CC/banking accounts in the future, but they will be shut down within a handful of months. Good luck.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Chase card initial deposit through a CU account. CU wasnt happy because I was out of state and some higher up reviewed the transaction and didnt like what they saw. The person was hip to the MS game and contacted Chase to alert them. Chase closed my account and wont discuss the issue. I cant even get an admission or statement from them, although I know the reason. It's been many months and I'm still getting auto declined on any applications. I wonder if this will ever eventually drop off the radar?

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Its especially frustrating as I'm trying to bank only 6k in Marriott Rewards which isn't a lot but still tricky w/o card or any upcoming stays booked. I need that small amount within next couple of weeks for a free night redemption.

Last edited:

volker

Level 2 Member
Check http://milesperday.com/?s=chase There are reports about
1. successful reopening (but your case might be already too long ago)
2. a hint how you might get back by opening a checking account first.

I assume none of that gives you a quick solution for 6k of Marriott points. The quickest way for this solution, and we get here off topic, is to use their shopping portal with some reselling purchases.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
Thanks. I was actually able to acquire the points by merging several dummy SPG accounts I'd been using to book my wife's board meetings, lol. The accumulation of orphaned points in each of the dummy accounts was enough when combined that I can transfer out to Marriott at 3x and meet my goal!

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I still don't understand what set the credit union off? I'm guessing you made a large deposit of money orders and then sent it all to Chase? Otherwise I don't get why the CU didn't just deal with you if they had a problem with you.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
I funded the account with a large initial deposit (40k) directly from my Chase card which would've been fine except I was out of state and the person that approved my acct got flagged by a supervisor who questioned me about it. I told her I was planning to move (the CU was based in Michigan) and things were okay for a while but when I started pulling the money out they got pissed off and contacted Chase because they knew what I was up to.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I funded the account with a large initial deposit (40k) directly from my Chase card which would've been fine except I was out of state and the person that approved my acct got flagged by a supervisor who questioned me about it. I told her I was planning to move (the CU was based in Michigan) and things were okay for a while but when I started pulling the money out they got pissed off and contacted Chase because they knew what I was up to.
Ah, makes sense.

redbirdsj

Level 2 Member
You won't get an explanation for the closure. All banks will simply state they've made a "business decision" to terminate the account and move on.

I was axed by Chase in October 2015, most likely for too many BP payments. I stayed away and focused on other programs but finally dropped below 5/24 so decided to apply for an Ink Preferred last September and surprisingly was approved. I then applied for another one in March and got approved for it as well. I doubt you get back in their graces anytime soon, but I've heard of people getting back into the game after 2 years.

DanR

Level 2 Member
I'm guessing it was more the 40k charge coupled with the rest of your credit profile and Chase history than it was a phone call from the CU.

JivyIvy

Level 2 Member
I'm guessing it was more the 40k charge coupled with the rest of your credit profile and Chase history than it was a phone call from the CU.
No I spoke with the supervisor at the CU and she was just a mean and vindictive person. She had my acct frozen and wouldn't allow me to pull any funds out for almost a month until I threatened legal action. She was really nasty on the telephone and then refused to respond to any of my calls after our initial conversation. I am certain that she telephoned Chase directly and initiated this. My cc was fine for a full month following the transaction and I had a substantially larger credit line with a strong profile. It wasn't until the CU finally agreed to release the funds (coordinated with Chase via reversal of transaction) that my cc got shut down the same day. I'm very confident that it was the CU responsible for the card shutdown.

Jawa

Level 2 Member
Code:
https://therewardboss.com/chase-canceled-credit-cards-successful-reinstatement-chase-shutdown/
might be helpful

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
I can tell you, that it would be at most 7 years. Regulations are such that banks have to completely forget about you after that much time.