Is there a decline in use of travel related credit cards?

Peridot83

Level 2 Member
Haha

"Michele Paiva, a psychotherapist and neuromarketer in Downingtown, Pa., says compulsively collecting miles is akin to drug dependence. (Neuromarketing is the study of consumers’ cognitive responses to marketing stimuli, such as lower prices or promotions.) "

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
That article is from Chris Elliott who had a blog in Boarding Area. Never liked his posts much when it was on there. Over the top click baity titles, to start with... seems he hasn't changed much with this article.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
That article is from Chris Elliott who had a blog in Boarding Area. Never liked his posts much when it was on there. Over the top click baity titles, to start with... seems he hasn't changed much with this article.
Gary from View From the Wing hates this guy. I'm sure he'll post with a lengthy retort. It's almost like they taunt each other.

I read the source article. I can paraphrase it as "if you carry a balance or are otherwise not very financially-clever, don't play the credit card game". He then assumes most people aren't (clever), so it's just a bad idea. Period.

MilesJunkie

Level 1.66 Member
Their feud is hilarious. I often wonder if it is staged for publicity. Just saying.
Replace hilarious with idiotic, but that's just me. Can't stand 13 YOs one upping each other on the blogs. Most of their posts are junk anyway, but the feud posts are even worse.

If feud was real, it looks like Gary won since Chris' blog is gone. He does have Petersen to back him up...

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
Reading the comments, I am reminded how clueless most people are. Keep writing these articles and let them think that. Meanwhile...back to feeding my travel addiction, which probably is real.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
Chris Elliott has been ranting against travel rewards programs, including credit cards, for years. I'm sure he sights data to support his theme.

That said, the part about "travel" blogs endlessly selling credit cards is accurate.