Is there a car-rental company that doesn't scam you in Mexico?

Lucas

Silver Member
Been to Mexico several times. Each time I've attempted to rent a car it has resulted in them refusing unless I purchase their liability insurance. Except once -they put a hold on my card for ~$5k and actually allowed me to rent the car. Is there a company that is consistent in allowing this? I have an upcoming stay in cancun and would rather buy bus/taxis than a rental car if I am needing to pay $20/day in supplemental liability. Thanks for any advice.

Things I have: Costco, USAA, AAA

Car needed: cheapest available

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Yes, AVIS.

If you have a CC that provides secondary insurance you are good. CUN is a great station. Also, they do not charge for one way rentals. What we do when we stay at Dreams Riviera Maya, (phenomenal hotel btw), I rent a car for one day at the airport and return it at the hotel. Then I rent a car for a day in the middle of my stay just to be mobile and then I do the same on the last day to get to the airport. I normally pay $25-30 per day, so $90 for the car and the entire stay is covered.

I have in the past emailed American Express and asked them to write me an email stating that my rental with Avis under this confirmation number in this city for these dates is covered and then I have shown Avis that letter when needed.

Lucas

Silver Member
Yes, AVIS.

If you have a CC that provides secondary insurance you are good. CUN is a great station. Also, they do not charge for one way rentals. What we do when we stay at Dreams Riviera Maya, (phenomenal hotel btw), I rent a car for one day at the airport and return it at the hotel. Then I rent a car for a day in the middle of my stay just to be mobile and then I do the same on the last day to get to the airport. I normally pay $25-30 per day, so $90 for the car and the entire stay is covered.

I have in the past emailed American Express and asked them to write me an email stating that my rental with Avis under this confirmation number in this city for these dates is covered and then I have shown Avis that letter when needed.
Thanks for the reply! Maybe I'll bump my reservations over to Avis then. The only gap I see between what you're telling me, and what I've experienced, is that CC insurance usually covers CDW insurance, whereas mexican car companies generally demand proof of liability insurance. Has this not been your experience? As far as I am aware: a small, yet existing nonetheless, liability insurance is required by law to be incorporated into any rates quoted by car companies in mexico. It generally is included in the fine print, yet they ignore it and say that you "are required by law to have liability insurance" and try to charge for the better one.

Deltahater

Tequila, Miles and Suites
Avis in CUN has never hassled me for anything. I rent about 6-8 times there a year. But by no means do they know me and do favors for me.

The beauty of avis is that you can book and not pay for it. So make duplicate reservations with avis and whoever you are with today and see who plays ball. If you are concerned about the type of coverage you have with amex vs what you have to have, get the email from Amex as I suggested and then "clarify" the email so that it makes sense to the counter rep at Avis.

Lucas

Silver Member
Avis in CUN has never hassled me for anything. I rent about 6-8 times there a year. But by no means do they know me and do favors for me.

The beauty of avis is that you can book and not pay for it. So make duplicate reservations with avis and whoever you are with today and see who plays ball. If you are concerned about the type of coverage you have with amex vs what you have to have, get the email from Amex as I suggested and then "clarify" the email so that it makes sense to the counter rep at Avis.
Thanks, this advice is truly appreciated!

shenxing

Level 0 Member
The CDP from my university specifically waives the underage fee with Hertz. If you're still in school, check to see if you've got coverage through them.