Is the Grand Hyatt brand moving away from complimentary toothbrushes?

tmount

Administrator

I realize in the big scheme of things, the complimentary toothbrush and toothpaste found in most mid-to-high end hotel rooms is minimal. But, based on a recent stay at the Grand Hyatt Incheon (just outside of Seoul, South Korea), I am wondering if the Grand Hyatt brand is moving away from complimentary toothbrushes.

The Grand Hyatt Incheon

A few friends and I had decided to get a day room at the Grand Hyatt Incheon, as we had a roughly 14 hour layover during the day and figured it would be helpful to have a base of operations. So we checked into a room in the West Tower (this was the new tower built around the time the hotel switched brands from a Regency to a Grand). The room was pretty standard, but the thing that struck me was what was in the bathroom drawer.

Cost for a Toothbrush and Toothpaste at the Grand Hyatt Incheon

Now I didn’t particularly need the toothbrush or toothpaste – I had brought my own on this particular trip. But seeing the charge, I had to inquire.

A public tweet garnered a collection of responses, generally expressing distaste.

<screen shot – Twitter responses>

The tweet also received a request from the Hyatt Concierge team to Direct Message them. I explained my concerns, and they forwarded those concerns on to the hotel’s Executive Assistant Manager, who I caught up with later that evening in the lounge.

Is the Grand Hyatt brand moving away from complimentary toothbrushes?

Speaking with the hotel’s Executive Assistant Manager, it seemed that the direction from Chicago, or Hyatt Corporate was to limit one gratis toothbrush per standard room, with additional toothbrushes and toothpaste at a cost (in this case, 6,600 Won which translates to $6.14 US).

I haven’t been able to get Hyatt to confirm this, but, it certainly is one data point indicating that Grand Hyatt brand may be moving away from complimentary toothbrushes.

Moving away from complimentary toothbrushes at Grand Hyatt hotels, it would seem like a small cost savings, though I’d imagine it could generate a decent amount of frustration.

Wrapping Up

If Hyatt really is moving away from offering complimentary toothbrushes at Grand Hyatt branded hotels, it’s not a tectonic shift. It makes me wonder if this is more akin to American Airlines removing olives from the salad in domestic first class back in the 1980’s. I doubt it will change anyone’s stay habits, but it still strikes me as cheap, especially when Grand Hyatt’s are largely viewed as a high quality hotel brand. Obviously Grand’s are behind the Andaz and Park Hyatt brands, but I’d argue that they would fall as a close 3rd in the Hyatt family.

What do you think of the possibility of the Grand Hyatt brand no longer offering complimentary toothbrushes?

Continue reading...