Is it worth taking platinum challenge in this case?

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
I have an international trip coming up with Ethihad airways this month end. The return trip would come to about 19k+ miles. I am travelling with my spouse and kid. I got a complimentary platinum status from AA last month valid till 12/31/14 and enrolled for it. If i fly 12k within this period, i keep it till Feb 2016. After some going back and forth i was able to get all 3 of our AA FF numbers entered in to Ethihad airways tickets. I am still not sure if i will get to enjoy my AA platinum status benefits with Ethihad as they are codeshare partners only and Ethihad is not part of Oneworld. While receiving complimentary platinum status with AA, i didnt get any free 500 mile upgrades and just hoping for an upgrade for the US one way flight during my upcoming trip. Let me see.

My questions are:

1. Since we are 3 of us, if i get an upgrade, will both my companions get upgraded or is it valid only for one companion?
2. Is it really worth going for platinum challenge for my spouse, paying $240, considering this trip in mind? I am looking at the 100% bonus miles mainly. So, my spouse would be getting about 19k miles for $240.

smittytabb

Staff member
So, this is complicated. Let me see if I can take it apart. Are you flying on miles or revenue on Etihad? Flying coach or another class?

If you are flying on the same PNR, then passengers would be upgraded according to your status as a Platinum. I need to double check how many can be on one for an upgrade. But, and this is a big but, the chances of three people being upgraded off a Platinum status would be very small depending on the flight. I am EXP, and my husband is Plat. Every time I put him on the PNR with me to be upgraded together we either don't get it or get it at the very last minute. When I fly alone as an EXP my upgrades are about 99% of the time. So there is that issue. Also, if you hope to be upgraded, you need those "sticker" upgrades in your account BEFORE you fly, so you would have to buy them on speculation if you don't have any already. Also, you earn those "sticker" upgrades for flying. If I remember correctly it is 4 for every 10K flown. You are never just given those for Platinum. The systemwide upgrades are given for EXP and are not to be confused with the "sticker" ones. Hope that makes sense.

Are you suggesting you both go for the challenge or just you? I am not sure I completely understand the scenario.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
Just double checked and it is a single companion per elite member for domestic sticker upgrade. This is a great guide to all things upgrade AA flyerguide.com/Upgrades_(AA)

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
So, this is complicated. Let me see if I can take it apart. Are you flying on miles or revenue on Ethiad? Flying coach or another class?

If you are flying on the same PNR, then passengers would be upgraded according to your status as a Platinum. I need to double check how many can be on one for an upgrade. But, and this is a big but, the chances of three people being upgraded off a Platinum status would be very small depending on the flight. I am EXP, and my husband is Plat. Every time I put him on the PNR with me to be upgraded together we either don't get it or get it at the very last minute. When I fly alone as an EXP my upgrades are about 99% of the time. So there is that issue. Also, if you hope to be upgraded, you need those "sticker" updates in your account BEFORE you fly, so you would have to buy them on speculation if you don't have any already.

Are you suggesting you both go for the challenge or just you? I am not sure I completely understand the scenario.
Thanks for taking time to respond. We are all flying by coach on revenue on Ethihad, on same PNR. I am already a Platinum as i enrolled for the complimentary platinum offer of AA last month. I am wondering if i may enroll my wife for the platinum challenge if it is beneficial. I would like to know if it would be beneficial in this case. If i do enroll my wife, we both would be platinum and would that increase chances of upgrade for all 3 of us for the local travel? If i buy the sticker updates using my platinum status, can i use that for my companions also or is it applicable for me only? Also not sure if Ethihad would credit the full "american miles" for the entire trip (along with the platinum bonus) so that i get to extend my platinum status till Feb 16 (and if i enroll my wife for platinum, she also gets to retain the platinum status till Feb 16). Hope i am clear this time :)

smittytabb

Staff member
This is what I am seeing about earning AA miles:

Earn Miles
Earn miles when flying on Etihad Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on all Etihad Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines.

• Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights between New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD) ,Washington Dulles (IAD),Toronto (YYZ) and Abu Dhabi are not eligible for mileage accrual*
For flights on/after October 1, 2011
Class of ServicePurchased Fares Booked in:Base MilesClass of Service Bonus Miles
First ClassF,A,R100%50%
Business ClassJ,C,D,W100%25%
Economy ClassY,E,B,H,K,M,Q,L,V,U100%
*Note – Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA codeshare flight number) and operated by Etihad Airways (including travel between New York, Chicago, Washington Dulles and Toronto to Abu Dhabi) will earn AAdvantage base miles and elite qualifying miles, points and segments according to the AA earning structure.

smittytabb

Staff member
Upgrades are a crapshoot. I would put the odds of three Platinums getting an upgrade on the same domestic aircraft at low. If your wife wants the Platinum status for other reasons, do the challenge. If she would earn enough miles anyway, why not? If the three of you want to stay together in the aircraft, in order to all get upgraded at all, you need two elites, because only one companion can upgrade with another elite. But just for the domestic upgrade, no. Chances pretty slim on an upgrade for all of you. Is the domestic flight on AA and not US? Forgot to double check that detail.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
This is what I am seeing about earning AA miles:

Earn Miles
Earn miles when flying on Etihad Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on all Etihad Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines.

• Etihad Airways operated and marketed flights between New York (JFK), Chicago (ORD) ,Washington Dulles (IAD),Toronto (YYZ) and Abu Dhabi are not eligible for mileage accrual*
For flights on/after October 1, 2011
Class of ServicePurchased Fares Booked in:Base MilesClass of Service Bonus Miles
First ClassF,A,R100%50%
Business ClassJ,C,D,W100%25%
Economy ClassY,E,B,H,K,M,Q,L,V,U100%
*Note – Travel ticketed as an American Airlines marketed flight (booked as an AA codeshare flight number) and operated by Etihad Airways (including travel between New York, Chicago, Washington Dulles and Toronto to Abu Dhabi) will earn AAdvantage base miles and elite qualifying miles, points and segments according to the AA earning structure.
I saw that Linda and it left me confusing. Thanks for posting though. I will be flying RDU-ORD-AUH-MAA and return. So, it looks like i will not get miles for ORD-AUH-MAA route at all. If that is the case why the heck did they accept my AA FF number? Also i dont want to have my Ethihad guest numbers for this trip as the miles will just be just lying there unutilised after this trip. We all know the difficulty in getting and redeeming Ethihad miles. The domestic flight is AA by the way. Any other suggestions? Should i again change my FF back to Ethihad or is there a better choice? I checked my itinerary and all the flights are booked as EY flights.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
Upgrades are a crapshoot. I would put the odds of three Platinums getting an upgrade on the same domestic aircraft at low. If your wife wants the Platinum status for other reasons, do the challenge. If she would earn enough miles anyway, why not? If the three of you want to stay together in the aircraft, in order to all get upgraded at all, you need two elites, because only one companion can upgrade with another elite. But just for the domestic upgrade, no. Chances pretty slim on an upgrade for all of you. Is the domestic flight on AA and not US? Forgot to double check that detail.
Yeah, i sensed that. I am happy if i could get some good seats with better legroom even if i dont get an upgrade. Do you think that is possible with only me being platinum?

smittytabb

Staff member
Yeah, i sensed that. I am happy if i could get some good seats with better legroom even if i dont get an upgrade. Do you think that is possible with only me being platinum?
If you are platinum you can book exit row seats and main cabin extra right now if they are available on the AA domestic route. Not sure about the Etihad legs. The reservation usually only accepts one frequent flyer number. You'll have to balance getting access to better seats vs. no miles on the Etihad flights. I am not that familiar with their own program so not sure what to recommend.

It is always disappointing to find out you get no miles on an international flight. I have had this happen with several very bargain rate flights to New Zealand on Air New Zealand (zero United miles), Turkish (zero USairways miles) and Cathay to Taiwan (zero AA miles). All of these were absurdly cheap flights and the fare class didn't allow for partner mileage accrual. It's a trade off.

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
If you are platinum you can book exit row seats and main cabin extra right now if they are available on the AA domestic route. Not sure about the Etihad legs. The reservation usually only accepts one frequent flyer number. You'll have to balance getting access to better seats vs. no miles on the Etihad flights. I am not that familiar with their own program so not sure what to recommend.

It is always disappointing to find out you get no miles on an international flight. I have had this happen with several very bargain rate flights to New Zealand on Air New Zealand (zero United miles), Turkish (zero USairways miles) and Cathay to Taiwan (zero AA miles). All of these were absurdly cheap flights and the fare class didn't allow for partner mileage accrual. It's a trade off.
Thanks a ton Linda for answering all my queries. I guess i will stick to my AA FF number and see what my experiences are. With the uncertainity on the mile credit front, i plan not to go for platinum challenge for my wife for now.