iPhone 6s

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Current Android user - have a cheap bulk reseller's plan with AT&T as the underlying carrier.

Looking to make the jump to an iPhone....and creative ways to reduce cost of purchase..open to anything, credit card bonuses, Apple GCs, portals, etc.

Thank you for any suggestions.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Are you planning to buy outright? Husband just bought his with the new "get a new phone every 18 months if you want, pay for this one no interest over 24 months" plan. We have one of our miles cards set up as the payment for it, so, while not a savings, it's some miles every month. Use a 2% CB, and save over time.

nickelfish1

Level 2 Member
I'm looking to buy two. I suppose I can buy anywhere but I'm going to have them on T-Mobile. I think to buy is better than the lease. I'll have one or two 5's to trade-in, too.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I agree. Haserfauld's got the best idea. 5s aren't worth much, right now. Target had a promotion a week ago with a $200 gift card for a 5 or above; Best Buy this past week had basically the same promo. But if you just sell a 5, at least one with only 16 g, it's only worth about $50, right now.

The $200 GC is buying groceries, since RB's funeral.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
I just bought the 6s on Discover/AP. Great discount. Nickelfish, you might check Gazelle or other vendors to see what they'll pay for those 5's.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Gosh, so maybe it was actually a good deal last week when Verizon paid me $100 on trade-in for a 4s (64 GB).

Andres

Level 2 Member
Buy outright at the Apple Store with Discover/AP. You won't beat that.
Problem is that you can't buy with Discover/AP unless you have an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6s already. Kind of a catch 22. I have an iPhone 5s, so I could buy an Apple Watch to get the AP capability, buy the iPhone 6s in an Apple store, and return the Apple Watch later. But I'm not a fan of returning stuff. No one in my family has an iPhone 6/6s that I could borrow.

EDIT: Never mind. Wrong thread/brain fart on my part ;)

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Thank you for the comments and suggestions. Additionally, just found this deal with a Citi Access More CC:

Here's how the new phone offer works:

• Spend $2,000 in purchases with your AT&T Access More Card within 3 months of account opening.

• Use your card, now or later, to buy a new phone from AT&T, at full price and with no annual contract.

• Make your phone purchase using your unique phone offer link (which will be provided to you), activate and maintain service with AT&T for 15 days. If you buy a new phone now it will count toward the $2,000 in qualifying purchases!

• Citi will then credit your AT&T Access More Card account for the cost of the phone up to $650 (exclusive of taxes, shipping, fees & wireless service).

Phone Offer Credit is not available if you have had an AT&T Access More Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months.

Earn 3X ThankYou® Points for every $1 you spend on purchases made online at retail and travel websites.2

Earn 3X points for every $1 you spend on products & services directly purchased from AT&T.2

Earn 1X points for every $1 you spend on other purchases.2

10,000 Anniversary bonus points after you spend $10,000 in the prior cardmembership year.2

Annual Fee: $95.1

Purchase Rate: 14.99% - 22.99% variable APR based on your creditworthiness1

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Problem is that you can't buy with Discover/AP unless you have an iPhone 6 or an iPhone 6s already. Kind of a catch 22. I have an iPhone 5s, so I could buy an Apple Watch to get the AP capability, buy the iPhone 6s in an Apple store, and return the Apple Watch later. But I'm not a fan of returning stuff. No one in my family has an iPhone 6/6s that I could borrow.

EDIT: Never mind. Wrong thread/brain fart on my part ;)
Obviously I am missing something since I thought the same thing - how to use AP unless you already have a device.?..I have Apple products, but no iPhone or Watch.

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
I just walked into the Apple store and told the manager what I wanted to do. He set up a 3rd device to let me purchase my two phones using AP + my Discover card, then let me wipe the phone.

They'll work with you, especially if you're buying $1500 worth of merch direct from them. I just told him that the discount was going to be over $300, and it was the reason I was buying the phones now and from them. If they couldn't do it, I'd understand, but I'd be going over to AT&T to do the Next plan (which I wouldn't actually have done). I wasn't being adversarial or difficult, just very straightforward and open. I told him I understood he had a store to run and policies to follow, and I wasn't trying to compromise them.

Also, I did let them run my AMEX for the 3rd device, which they then returned after we were done. I think the issue is that they can't open/unseal a device before paying for it. Note I didn't charge the discover for the purchase/return.

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
I probably don't have need of $1500 worth of Apple merchandise, but it sounds like it's worth a try if your closest Apple store is not as far away as mine or as terminally crowded and chaotic.

Good for you that the manager was amenable!

hankthecat

Level 2 Member
I did a similar thing to haserfauld except I bought phone #1 at the apple store with my amex at full price, then went to best buy and bought phone #2 with phone #1 setup with discover on apple pay. Phone #1 was returned to the apple store within the 14 day window. best buy phones are $50 more than the apple store but they will price match. I was able to use all my certificates from the last two #amexbestbuy promotions on phone #2. My local apple store would not let me open up the phone and set it up with apple pay before purchasing.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
I just walked into the Apple store and told the manager what I wanted to do. He set up a 3rd device to let me purchase my two phones using AP + my Discover card, then let me wipe the phone.

They'll work with you, especially if you're buying $1500 worth of merch direct from them. I just told him that the discount was going to be over $300, and it was the reason I was buying the phones now and from them.
I had a similar good experience with the Apple store. I wanted to buy a non-stock iMac with AP. After working with the manager, we ordered the computers with my Amex, returned them for credit and rebought with AP. Gymnastics were required since custom orders must be paid for online rather than in-store but if a custom order is "returned" unopened, they can resell in store with AP.

My1stMile

Level 2 Member
I just got my wife an iPhone 6s. The deal I am going to lay out here is based on this slickdeals thread slickdeals net/f/8166284-verizon-get-300-for-any-smartphone-trade-in-towards-a-new-smartphone-line?

Verizon is offering $300 trade in credit for ANY smartphone with new line activation (not good on upgrades). The kicker here is that they also text you a code to get a $300 trade in credit, so Slickdeals is indicating you can double dip. If you don't have a smartphone laying around, you can buy one at Kroger, Best Buy or Walmart for $10-$20. I bought 5 Tracfones a couple weeks ago for $5 when TCB was paying $20 for phone purchases.

My transaction looks like this:
Iphone 6s $750 +tax
Topcashback credit -30 (adding a line, new service is $100)
Trade in phone 1: -$300
Trade in phone 2: -$300
Total $120 + tax

Edit: This is on the device Payment plan, where you pay for the full device price, not the old 2-year contract deal.

Last edited: