Investing in wine

MilesAbound

Level 2 Member
Sorry if this feels a little spam-ish it's not intended to, my understanding is these fora are not designed for the eyes of google. Anyway I just dug up my old post on investing in wine and republished it on a little personal blog I started, you can read it here. Note this blog is purely personal so not intended for any commercial gain at all.

Anyway I would be curious on y'alls take on this. Actually right now I think investing in wine is a tough sell - as with almost all asset classes prices have been pushed into the stratosphere by a world awash with money, particularly in China but also Russia and the very rich folks in the West. But the ever increasing scarcity factor may still help some low production wines retain strong value. And I just like the idea you can drink the stuff if it goes wrong.

I would never recommend this as a core part of anyone's financial plan but rather something fun to dabble with if it interests you and you still have money to invest after maxing out all your 401k, IRA, HSA investments etc.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
You know I like the idea of it so its all good with me. Note that the stuff outside of Level 2 does get indexed, its only the things within that area that are not. I think you hit the main negative being the tax rate, but there's a lot to be said for saying screw it and downing a bottle.