Introduce yourself here!

Cytraveler

Level 2 Member
Hi I'm Cynthia from Pittsburgh. I'm new to the credit card tango in the past few months, but happy to be here. I'm a business owner/scientist, wife, and mom to 3 kids. I jumped into credit card bonuses when I kept complaining that everyone in my family - including all my kids, sisters, sister-in-laws, brother-in-laws and their families - had been to Europe except me, and I decided I needed to stop whining and do something about it. With two kids in college and one in high school, paying for flights wasn't responsible. Glad to be here, to learn, and to contribute.

WombatCA

Hi, I'm Michele from San Diego. I'm relatively new to this game, just got my companion pass and heading to Costa Rica in May. I've begun some limited MS and am looking forward to learning more on that front!

Benjamin

Level 2 Member
Hello everyone. My name is Benjamin. I am a Seattle guy working for an online retailer currently (not the big one...). Always absorbing. Thanks to everyone for the inevitable tips and conversations!

The Rev

Hello. My name is Josh, and I live in the Maryland suburbs of DC. I've been "travel hacking" for about 5 years. Mostly that was centered around sign up bonuses and a little MS here and there to meet spending requirements. The last 2 years or so I've started focusing on cash back a little more. A friend in the hobby suggested that I sign up here. I'm looking forward to discussing things with you fine folks!

JSU

Hello everyone. I'm Jack from NY. Been going at this for 3-4 years, but I rarely redeem my points. I'm one of those people who love collecting points but have no idea what to do with them. I do travel a few times a year but I always feel like I'm missing out if I don't get the most value so they just stay pooled up. Looking forward to learning and contributing.

wbsbones

Hello everyone. I'm Brett. I live in St. Louis. I started out in the hobby slowly a couple of years ago. I'm looking forward to learning more from this forum.

Ben Benton

Level 2 Member
Hi, I am Ben and live in San Francisco. I am new to the points game and am interested in learning more. I am especially interested in MS and reselling. I would like to buy locally available merchandise and resell it but I am not married to the idea if it is not feasible. My main goal in reselling would be points and having a hobby outside of work.

WavyCEO

Level 2 Member
Hello everyone I'm David from New York. I guess I would be considered new since I started in the points and miles game in January but have spent all of my free time reading and learning. I've already started to maximize all my current cards with recurring purchases. I've already started to accumulate points through the AMEX SPG cards (biz & personal). Really looking forward to getting access to Level 2 so I can start MSing to top off accounts to get my travel plans going,

Jia

Hi there! My name is Jia and I've become quite obsessed with this forum. I'm planning an epic Disney trip next year for my family which led me here. I'm new to MS and CC rewards. I've been loyal to my basic 1% cash back from bank of america but I'm now ready to spread my wings.

pan poul

Hello everyone! This is Panos from Greece currently living and working in London. I am a newbie but i believe this site is perfect for me to learn more!

JCPoints16

JCMiling
Hi Everyone,
Been collecting points for awhile and love some of the ideas on here. I've only done a little MS over the years and have been good about the different cash back cards but I have been a pretty basic point collector. Reading up on ideas while I wait for my mortgage to close so I can hopefully up my game to a whole new level as soon as it does.

redrps13

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, but not new to the points/travel game. My first experience with cashing in on rewards was when my wife and I used our AA and IHG points to book our honeymoon to Paris and Greece. All in all only cost us a couple hundred bucks!

I took some time off, but now that we have a family and are looking to travel I wanted to revisit. It was a little easier before when I was looking to acrue points for myself and my wife, but now that we have the kiddo I've got to step it up a notch!

volker

Level 2 Member
I follow the various points and frequent flyer boards and blogs for a while. I usually go through cycles on how much I follow, depending on time and interest.

I was for a while into the what I would call grey area of various service offerings. With some long term patient my biggest accomplishment was to get over 100k Hawaiian airline miles through their search toolbar. It was some kind of fun and challenge and not the profit. All the toolbars died, made it much more difficult or did changes to their program. Bing is the last remaining one that is worthwhile, but after a really long time they put some bigger obstacles into to their program that reduces leverage.

I am looking into MS for a while but never acted. It's more an interesting area but the effort vs result equation never made it really worth for me. For me it just seems to take much more time as I'd like to. And then there is the big risk factor.

What I am more considering these days is getting more GC for a bigger discount or 5pts/5% category bonus. But this will make personal accounting much more painful. I see this now after getting the 10% cash back on Amazon GC from Chase Freedom in Q4 2015. Accounting is just getting more painful if you have to go through 1-2 Amazon accounts to see in which spending category the giftcards where spent. And Amazon with the digital papertrail is one of the easiest one to follow. Or does for example Target in Store purchases offer this? Not even to think about restaurants...

stron

Level 2 Member
Hi all, travel and food are my hobbies and the best thing is that they are complementary a lot of times. I hope to learn about efficient ways to travel, use credit card bonuses and learn a bit about MS too. Cheers all!

RightAllocations

Level 2 Member
Hi, I'm Don, looking forward to joining the Saverocity Community.

I've been following the travel hacking/credit card churning space for about a year now - read most of the major blogs.

I would enjoy continuing my education here. Happy to help in brainstoming deals, submitting data points, ...

I have some education in finance and work experience in IT/programming - happy to use it to further deals.

Definitely a long game type of person, understand the importance of nurturing and protecting deals.

volker

Level 2 Member
I have some education in finance and work experience in IT/programming - happy to use it to further deals.
Did you had ever any success with some programming or scripting? When I tried it in the past I always hit a query limit. I also never found a usable API for my trials.

RightAllocations

Level 2 Member
Did you had ever any success with some programming or scripting? When I tried it in the past I always hit a query limit. I also never found a usable API for my trials.
Volker thanks.

Scripting

Well, I'm still early on in trying to automate the small deals; it gets a little more automated each time through.

I started using iMacros (Chrome Browser extension) to initiate debit card transactions to meet the requirements of reward checking accounts. Right now I kick off transactions for Circle and Square each month. Will try and add more services.

Web Tool

I have an idea for a web tool, not sure if it will work out. But going to give it a try soon.

volker

Level 2 Member
Volker thanks.

Scripting

Well, I'm still early on in trying to automate the small deals; it gets a little more automated each time through.

I started using iMacros (Chrome Browser extension) to initiate debit card transactions to meet the requirements of reward checking accounts. Right now I kick off transactions for Circle and Square each month. Will try and add more services.

Web Tool

I have an idea for a web tool, not sure if it will work out. But going to give it a try soon.
Sounds like these would be manual initiated tasks? What would be the webtool be used for? What technology do you plan to use?

It's was kinda trivial to create fully automated searches simulating the toolbars, I used perl (it was that long ago...) for that. But none of these toolbars exist anymore and the remaining alternatives don't earn miles.

RightAllocations

Level 2 Member
Sounds like these would be manual initiated tasks? What would be the webtool be used for? What technology do you plan to use?

It's was kinda trivial to create fully automated searches simulating the toolbars, I used perl (it was that long ago...) for that. But none of these toolbars exist anymore and the remaining alternatives don't earn miles.
Volker, thanks, let me get back to you on the webtool - I'm going to try a few different things out - if things work out, I'll write it up

Eric Bogs

Hey, I'm Eric. My fiancee and I are avid travel hackers, mileage runners, credit card points aficionados. Over morning coffee we have convinced ourselves to go to Chilé for the weekend, book mileage runs out of Brazil, and tricked ourselves into thinking status is still worth something in 2016 :)

Darren Remsburg

I'm Darren. I'm about a year in to the travel hacking game. After my wife and kids took advantage of mistake fares to South Africa last year we were looking for ways to continue to spread the fixed cost of those kids passports. This year we've planned a trip to Peru with flights and hotels through miles and points. Looking forward to learning more on ways to benefit from travel hacking.

Noturbizniss

Level 2 Member
Hi all, I've heard about saverocity over the last couple of years in various whastapp groups and on DDF (same name) where i'm very active. Finally got around to joining and hopefully I can both help out and be helped.

User2016

Level 2 Member
Hi all, I've heard about saverocity over the last couple of years in various whastapp groups and on DDF (same name) where i'm very active. Finally got around to joining and hopefully I can both help out and be helped.
Never heard of whatsapp groups !! interesting. Care to share which one mentioned about Saverocity

HUCAwin

Level 2 Member
Hello all, have read here a bit and finally decided to join up. I'm not a monster player in this game by any means but I enjoy the points game quite a bit and it is a hobby that can pay me back, what's not to like? 1.5 years ago I had but one card and a lower credit score simply because I did not do anything with it. My credit score is now at new highs for me, this hobby is fun for me and good for me financially. I still only have a small number of cards but I'm purposely waiting currently so I can get under 5/24 and get the CSP. Still, I literally got back yesterday from my first trip done with points. 8 nights in hotels for no cost to me. Driving trip, 1,997 miles done in total so now I need to work on getting my wife to not be scared to try flying some day! :)

Our first real vacation in almost two decades and it was free for all my rooms. $3000 in hotels makes me proud, though it is peanuts to some this is a big deal to me. Taking Matt's advice I have at least done one trip and we enjoyed the holy heck out of it! My wife is slightly scared to travel much and this trip helped her see how much fun we can have, hoping this will help us get to travel more often for sure and this trip she enjoyed a ton. Free helps her fear of how we can afford it - so then she only has her fear of travel to contend with.

As of yet I do no MS, and if/when I do I'll be a tiny minnow as I'd mainly use it for hitting minimum spend. Because I am newer signup bonuses are plentiful, so as soon as I get my CSP and FU I can apply away and then really start the churn process in earnest. For now I will be a quieter person here I'm sure as I have much more to learn than I have to share, but I'm a friendly guy and hope to get to know you all in time! Seems like a great place, see you all here more soon.

EBP

Hello Saverocity peeps. New to the forums but not to the game. If this were college, I would say I major in Cash Back with an emphasis on Manufactured Spending. Audited a few Large Signup Bonus classes as well. Hopefully I can share a thing or two, and maybe learn a thing or two.

MaiJohnson

Level 2 Member
Hiya, I'm pretty new to the forum, but I've been spending quite a bit of my free time learning about this stuff lately and trying to put it into play. Long story short, I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy earlier this year and while I've been trying to sort out work stuff I've been using the extra time to learn about reward points, credit cards, churning, and that kind of thing since it looks like I may eventually end up in a situation where the only hope of good vacations with the kiddo is through reward points. I'm currently in the process of moving out west from the east coast, and looking forward to the new experience and the new opportunities. I also look forward to continuing to learn and grow in this hobby with everyone here!

Gozma

Hello everyone. Im Nick. I have been MSing for awhile now. Looking to branch out more since it seems like world is out to get any MSers and Churners this year. I dont travel for my job at all but i do most of my point earning to beable to much nicer and much more frequent vacations. Always up to learn new things and im not afraid to try things out and share my experiences. I live in an area with a good amount of stores that are frequently used for MS. Look forward to interacting to share and learn as much as i can!!

CWAL

Level 2 Member
Hey guys, I'm Michael, and I have an MSing problem. ;)
Like most of you, I've been doing this for a while (roughly 2 years). It all started out from earning points on business travel, and blew up from there. I found my way over here after binge reading Miles per Day a few weeks ago, so shout out to Vinh if you're reading this. :)
When I'm not MSing, I like to spend my time with what I call my 'hobbies of the year' (I have attention span problems). They usually involve building things and/or excessive rules/loopholes. Last year was running a Minecraft server with tech mods, and this year appears to be making aggravating decks in MTG.
I'm a nerd!

seamuson

Hi all!

Started this hobby a year ago and have enjoyed the more frequent and upgraded travel. I'm a busy student so I don't have a ton of time or money for travel, but not I get to plan a big Europe trip over the winter holidays. Cheers!

runtimmyc

Hello,
I am a pretty regular poster on /r/churning (lucky2014) who dabbles in MS a little. I am a graduate student finishing up my studies and moving to New York City soon. I mostly look for opportunities to accumulate AA miles to take weekend visits to the city to visit my SO.

Cory

Hello all, I'm new to...most everything here, but I love traveling, although it can get a bit expensive! Stumbled on /r/ a couple of months ago, started with a few cards, and then onto light MS to meet min spend. Looking forward to reading through the forum and related blogs.

Toddb

Hello all! I live in Boise and just started with CC bonus a few months ago. I may be the newest of the newest! I have learned a lot through the various travel blogs, but have found my way here and look forward to digging deeper into the MS world.