Intro to SPG

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Executive Summary

Earning SPG
  • Co-Branded Card: American Express SPG [Typical Signup Bonus 25K, Seasonally raises to 30K for limited times] Business and Personal versions exist.
  • Membership Reward Transfer Partner 3MR:1SPG This is a very poor ratio and should not be used other than in small quantities to top up an account.
  • Buy SPG points, standard price is 3.5 cents each, sales run throughout the year. Analysis of 25% off sale is found here.
Hotel Spend Earning

• 2 SPG points per $1 with Regular Membership
  • 3 SPG points per $1 with Gold/Platinum Membership
  • 4 SPG points per $1 with Platinum Preferred (75 nights per year)
Additional 2 SPG on all of the above hotel spend by paying with the SPG Card. However, note that it does carry a FX fee so overseas it would be best to not use this card despite the bonus.

Spending SPG

Hotel Stays
  • Points awards or cash and points are available, per chart below
  • 5th Night Free when booking on SPG Points
  • Arugably better value from transferring to Airline Partners rather than hotel awards.

Airline Transfer Partners

20,000 SPG points transferred to an Airline Partner receives a 5,000 point bonus, the list of partners is below:

Frequent Flyer Program Exchange Ratio (Starpoints : Miles)

Aeromexico Club Premier1:1
Aeroplan/Air Canada1:1
Air Berlin1:1
Air China Companion1:1
Air New Zealand & Air Points65:1
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan1:1
Alitalia MilleMiglia1:1
All Nippon Airways (ANA) Mileage Club1:1
American Airlines AAdvantage1:1
Asia Miles1:1Asiana Airlines1:1
British Airways Executive Club1:1
China Eastern Airlines1:1
China Southern Airlines’ Sky Pearl Club1:1
Delta Air Lines SkyMiles1:1
Emirates Skywards1:1
Etihad Airways1:1
Flying Blue1:1
Gol Smiles2:1
Hainan Airlines1:1
Hawaiian Airlines1:1
Japan Airlines (JAL) Mileage Bank1:1
LAN Airlines LANPASS Kms1:1.5
Miles and More1:1
Qatar Airways1:1
Saudi Arabian Airlines Alfursan1:1
Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer1:1
Thai Airways International Royal Orchid Plus1:1
US Airways Dividend Miles1:1
United Mileage Plus2:1
Virgin Atlantic Flying Club1:1
Virgin Australia1:1

It is advised to not transfer to United as the 2:1 ratio is unfavorable, and also Chase Ultimate Rewards will transfer to United at a 1:1 ratio.

Conclusion

Starwood SPG points are generally considered to be the most valuable points commodity as they transfer out at a bonus of 1:1.25, however they are also some of the hardest to earn as the Credit Card signups are typically half that of other premium cards, and they earn points at a 1 SPG per $1 ratio.

Spend them wisely!

Last edited:

chunkalunk

Level 2 Member
Noob question about SPG.

I'm looking to score a suite using points for a trip later this year. According to guide, you can use points on any reservation made using BAR, RACK, SET rates, but while I'm booking a reservation, how do I know if the rate is BAR or RACK? I don't see these acronyms anywhere during the reservation process, including when I click on the Details and Terms of the reservation. TIA

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Noob question about SPG.

I'm looking to score a suite using points for a trip later this year. According to guide, you can use points on any reservation made using BAR, RACK, SET rates, but while I'm booking a reservation, how do I know if the rate is BAR or RACK? I don't see these acronyms anywhere during the reservation process, including when I click on the Details and Terms of the reservation. TIA
Sorry, I've never used those terms so am not sure where they show up. More specfically are you looking to pay cash for a room and points to upgrade? Just trying to understand how to help.

chunkalunk

Level 2 Member
Hey Matt,
Let me clarify. Yes, I would like to use points to upgrade my room to a suite.

Per SPG program terms:
Room & Suite Upgrades*
Use as few as 1,000 Starpoints® for a room upgrade at any participating Starwood hotel or resort. Arrange for an upgrade within five days of arrival to a Specialty, Specialty Select Room, or Suite on reservations booked at RACK, COR, SET, or BAR. You may upgrade from any category of room on an eligible rate paid reservation. *

The part I don't get are these RACK, COR, SET, or BAR rates. When I look at my actual booking options, I see names like
Endless Escape Rate
Lowest Available Rate
Renewal Package
Romance Package

I'm trying to put 2-and-2 together and determine which of these packages I could book with cash and upgrade with points.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I think that:

SET = corp code needed
COR = another type of corp rate
RACK - standard room rate
BAR - Best Available Rate

They don't really correlate directly with the packages you are looking at, they are more the standard rooms.

We could dig further for more info- and you might find that some of those packages also fit these categories, but more importantly is knowing that you aren't going to get a suite for 1K....

If you look at the chart:

Suite Upgrade.PNG

You will see that the suite upgrades are super expensive - this is what you would pay for an award room in these categories. Sure you might go from a Standard room to a standard room with a bigger loo for 1K but you really won't see a difference.... it's not a value play here at all.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
SPG T&Cs state that points will be awarded only if "stay is paid for by the SPG Member." Stay was in my name, originally w/my credit card and then taken over by third party and bill paid by them. Any experience getting something like this to credit SPG account?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
SPG T&Cs state that points will be awarded only if "stay is paid for by the SPG Member." Stay was in my name, originally w/my credit card and then taken over by third party and bill paid by them. Any experience getting something like this to credit SPG account?
I've only paid for one stay at SPG, and that was to get a free night.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I've only paid for one stay at SPG, and that was to get a free night.
Hey, I can be dense, I'll admit it but I have no idea what your response means (taxes will do that to ya)-- and I'm also new to hotel points. I want to get my stay at SPG--that I didn't pay for--credited to my SPG account as a stay. Guess I should just ask them and not dilly dally around...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I can be dense, I'll admit it but I have no idea what your response means (taxes will do that to ya)-- and I'm also new to hotel points. I want to get my stay at SPG--that I didn't pay for--credited to my SPG account as a stay. Guess I should just ask them and not dilly dally around...
It was my way of saying, with only one paid stay ever... I've no idea.

Not something I would feel entitled to though, I would just wait to see it hit or not.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
It was my way of saying, with only one paid stay ever... I've no idea.

Not something I would feel entitled to though, I would just wait to see it hit or not.
Sheesh--maybe I'm being too aggressive these days. They got paid for the stay, WTF do they care who paid for it and why not credit it to me? Won't hit because SPG number not attached. Thanks for helping me decide to ask for it to count!!! I'm way too old to dilly dally...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
They got paid for the stay, WTF do they care who paid for it and why not credit it to me? Won't hit because SPG number not attached
You could say that about every stay that doesn't have a number attached, plus then add on all the stays that later drop off as points/status expire. You didn't stay, move on..

HTaufReisen

Level 2 Member
Starwood downgraded to Neutral from Buy at UBS
UBS downgraded Starwood Hotels to Neutral on signs that RevPAR growth peaked in Q3. The firm adds that Starwood has the most exposure to the slowing high end of the market. It lowered its price target for shares to $79 from $86.
Marriott was downgraded today, too 11/17/14
Should mean some better deals for us :)

Deanna

Level 2 Member
I actually just received my SPG Amex. I signed up for it to get the points to use at the Sheraton in Milan the night before we fly back to Houston. The other points I will accrue will go towards another trip combined with points with American for free flights. I'm so happy to finally learn about all of this. :)

Vince

Level 2 Member
I'll admit noob question but I was trying to find this answer through the blog but I was unable to find it. No longer have spg cards and points expiring at end of the year so I feel confident I can book and use them but is there a way to avoid SPG points expiring?

HTaufReisen

Level 2 Member
4.2 Forfeiting Starpoints. Except for SVO Owners (STARWOOD VACATION OWNERSHIP)
to whom the obligations in Section 11 apply, Starpoints earned or otherwise obtained by an SPG Member will forfeit without notice if the SPG Member becomes Inactive, even if the SPG Member has achieved SPG Lifetime Gold or SPG Lifetime Platinum Status.

An SPG Member is considered “Inactive” if during a 12-month period:
(a) the SPG Member has not had a Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel;
(b) the SPG Member has not earned or redeemed any Starpoints; or
(c) the SPG Member’s account has been cancelled.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/legal/spg_terms.html

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'll admit noob question but I was trying to find this answer through the blog but I was unable to find it. No longer have spg cards and points expiring at end of the year so I feel confident I can book and use them but is there a way to avoid SPG points expiring?
As with any points you need to earn or burn some before the deadline.

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
@Matt , do you have any advice on obtaining a small amount of SPG in a short approx 48 hour time frame? In my particular case, I'm 836 SPG short of reaching 20K SPG in order to take advantage of the AA 5K transfer bonus + the normal SPG 5K bonus. I'd rather not actually pay SPG for the additional points,but it looks like it may come to that.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt , do you have any advice on obtaining a small amount of SPG in a short approx 48 hour time frame? In my particular case, I'm 836 SPG short of reaching 20K SPG in order to take advantage of the AA 5K transfer bonus + the normal SPG 5K bonus. I'd rather not actually pay SPG for the additional points,but it looks like it may come to that.
You could try to txf in from MR, but that could take longer than 48hrs.. or you could do that and see if SPG might loan you the balance... I've never heard of them doing so (MR will loan) but you never know..

SicEmBear

Level 2 Member
MR is one of the few currencies I don't own. But thank you very much for the prompt response. Its great to know for future possibilities.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
@Matt - any predictions of when AA may start their devaluation? I would like to hoard AA miles for future travel by transferring SPG points promo now. But risky if AA devalues in next year or so....

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt - any predictions of when AA may start their devaluation? I would like to hoard AA miles for future travel by transferring SPG points promo now. But risky if AA devalues in next year or so....
Your guess is as good as mine. I see them as being due in the next 9-12mths. I wouldn't hoard the points personally, would rather just wait and add on a new aa card or something in future.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
There is an analysis today regarding potential changes in the AA program by Gary Leff that is interesting. Based on his reasoning, he doesn't see major changes until 2017. While I don't read Gary as much as I used to (because I am tired of his pushing credit cards and the deterioration in the content of his blog), I think he has some valid points on AA.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
There is an analysis today regarding potential changes in the AA program by Gary Leff that is interesting. Based on his reasoning, he doesn't see major changes in 2017. While I don't read Gary as much as I used to (because I am tired of his pushing credit cards and the deterioration in the content of his blog), I think he has some valid points on AA.
Sure, I'm basing my opinion on nothing at all, perhaps if I dig deeper I may change my opinion, it's solely based on risk management internally rather than external changes. IE I would rather control my pts differently.

Will give it some more thought...

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Sure, I'm basing my opinion on nothing at all, perhaps if I dig deeper I may change my opinion, it's solely based on risk management internally rather than external changes. IE I would rather control my pts differently.

Will give it some more thought...
Oops, I meant to say until 2017.