Intra-Europe, Star Alliance

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Need to go from Geneva to Dubrovnik on Sep 7. Austrian has a one-stop that totals 3hr end to end, priced at $500+ (!). Other options have sucky schedule*.

For this Austrian flight, UA, AC, and Lifemiles all charge 15k. Tax is $55. On top of that, AC charges YQ of ~$120, making it unworthy. LM charges $25 redemption fee.

SQ and A3 would also charge YQ. I need a program that doesn't levy YQ.

Is there a better option than UA 15k + $55?

I might just burn the Lifemiles + $80, since I don't have much use for it. Or just pay ~$200-250 for a sucky schedule.

* there is a hacker fare (as 2 separate tickets) that is $135, flying on 2 different low cost airlines. I would probably pay ~$70 in fees. So let's say $200. It's got a 3.5hr connection at Paris Orly. Thoughts?

p.s. Train takes ~24 hours with 2+ stops, so not an attractive option.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
Now that SQ doesn't have YQ, are they an option for this? Did you already make a choice? I do notice the SQ chart though mentions in a footnote that 15k is only for non-stop flights, I wonder what they charge for connections but I couldn't pull up GVA or a number of other European cities, and I've never used their site to book.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I haven't booked yet. The short Austrian flight no longer has award space. Now the best award requires 2 connections. Yuck, but not much choice.

There is a cheap LCC flight to Split on the next day, if I fly that then I can take a scenic bus ride along the Dalmatian coast to DBV. Less ideal in terms of schedule, but a possibility.

Thanks for reminding me about YQ-less SQ. Don't think you can book any partner award on SQ.com, hence no GVA.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I don't have any good ideas for other miles programs in **. I noticed you didn't mention TK, though again I know nothing about them.

I don't see any one-stops either from GVA. But I looked from ZRH and there's a nonstop from ZRH in J for just 25k. Then looking back, there are a bunch of flights GVA to ZRH, so UA isn't pairing them for some reason. I'm out of date on UA and **, maybe cuz they're on subsidiary carriers or something? But maybe calling in you could force it, or there are trains. I'd rather do a train to there since I hate buses, but the coast sounds pretty nice.