International Data Device (T-Mo?)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've decided I need a good international data plan. I'm open to buying an iPad or take on a new carrier for cell that works on a network with good roaming, or any other ideas.

What's the best deal you've seen for international data? I've heard that T-Mobile is generous, but not sure if I can just get a device with them.

cav

Level 2 Member
T-Mobile is the best option I know of. Their Simple Choice plan is $20/month plus tax if you bring your own tablet. No need to have phone service with them.

International data is unlimited, so there is no need to choose their more expensive plans unless you need them for domestic data.

If you are only planning to use the data internationally, you may not even need a T-Mobile device... Any unlocked device from At&t or another GSM carrier should work. But you would be unable to access their domestic "4G" data.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
I just bought a cheap android phone and signed up for TMobile's $50/month plan. No contract, you can cancel and re-sign up if desired (as long as you buy the phone straight up). The iPad only idea would work too.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
There is also google fi which has offers a data-only plan that works similarly, I believe, to T-Mo when abroad (unlimited free data in 120 countries, albeit at slow speed).

Code:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/project-fi/RQPOse21Aa8;context-place=forum/project-fi

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys, am going to look at the options today, am torn between getting a hotspot from Tmo (or Fi) vs getting an iPad with cellular.

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
T-Mobile is the best while abroad because you're getting 2g data and free texts in most countries but with that said, you're always better off getting a local prepaid sim.

You can often find them with 1-2g of data relatively cheap (In Poland data service is dirt cheap...an 'unlimited' 4g sim plan on the Play network is 45 zloty or $11/month).

I know this thread is strictly for data only but for Americans abroad I highly recommend using Google Hangouts + Voice so you have an American number to send and receive phone calls. You can receive/send phone and sms in Chrome, GMail, Android App, iPhone App all over data (wifi or cellular).

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
T-Mobile is the best while abroad because you're getting 2g data and free texts in most countries but with that said, you're always better off getting a local prepaid sim.
So I've been confused by this, and got bad info from Tmo. However, if I understand this correctly the 2gb plan refers to US side 4G (then it throttles down) but international is unlimited...

At least that's what the 2nd guy told me.

ukinny2000

Level 2 Member
So I've been confused by this, and got bad info from Tmo. However, if I understand this correctly the 2gb plan refers to US side 4G (then it throttles down) but international is unlimited...

It is unlimited, but at slow speed. the speed is enough to check emails, do whatsapp, google maps etc..., but wouldn;t use it to upload photos, videocall etc...

Jslectronic

Level 2 Member

I have Tmo and experience with their intl data in Japan and Europe. First it's great for text messaging which is free and normal speeds.
the data is unlimited but feels frustratingly slow although in Japan I was often able to get higher speeds. The charge for an actual phone call is pretty decent too at 20cpm (I called a local tour operator and it was no big deal on my bill) and I've been happy just taking my phone overseas.
Through my work I also have an AT&T phone and when traveling get the international data package which is some absurd cost for 100Mb of data but is on the high speed networks

zeitgeist

Level 2 Member
You get u/l data while abroad but at 2g (edge) speed and free sms. This is why I recommend using Google Voice with a local prepaid sim.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
You get u/l data while abroad but at 2g (edge) speed and free sms. This is why I recommend using Google Voice with a local prepaid sim.

I'm using Project Fi in Chile right now, works great. Also have a Tmo sim that Vinh sent to me to try out as an experiment, will get it swapped out soon to test.

nickel285

Level 2 Member
You can often find them with 1-2g of data relatively cheap (In Poland data service is dirt cheap...an 'unlimited' 4g sim plan on the Play network is 45 zloty or $11/month).
I'm going to Poland next month on business. Is that unlimited 4g data plan on Play for a prepaid sim?

I'll also have half a day in London during a long layover, but I'm thinking my best bet is to just find free wifi whenever I can find it. I'd just need it for email, maps, and Google.