International Connections, USA to Central America

projectx

Level 2 Member
Looking at flying to Costa Rica with United miles next summer and for the most part, the only saver availability involves two connections. For the most part CVG to IAH, then connecting in either Nicaragua, Honduras, or Panama. I'd rather not have two connections, but my other option would be using UR points.. for 5 of us that's looking like an additional 100k miles total.

Other than the added travel time, are there any other pitfalls to consider? Like having to go through customs on the second connection, rechecking baggage, etc.

Last edited:

spottedcat1234

Level 2 Member
I did a 2-stop route booked via United to get from Newark to Cusco, Peru. We stopped first in Miami, and then in Bogota, Colombia enroute to Cusco. The first leg was on United, while the second 2 legs were on Avianca. I did not have to recheck baggage at either stop, and my luggage was properly transferred all the way to the destination (my wife is super cautious and managed to fit everything into a carryon due to an overwhelming fear that luggage would get lost). But didn't end up being any issue. We didn't have to go through customs in Bogota, and that layover was quick since flying same airline in and out.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
Looking at flying to Costa Rica with United miles next summer and for the most part, the only saver availability involves two connections. For the most part CVG to IAH, then connecting in either Nicaragua, Honduras, or Panama. I'd rather not have two connections, but my other option would be using UR points.. for 5 of us that's looking like an additional 100k miles total.

Other than the added travel time, are there any other pitfalls to consider? Like having to go through customs on the second connection, rechecking baggage, etc.
Just be sure to check the State Department Website for any specific requirements for the country you're transiting (e.g. Visa, Health Requirements, etc.). If a country required a Visa to enter, for example, and you miss your connection you wouldn't be able to leave the airport to stay in a hotel overnight instead.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Thanks @Josh F . While I have considered the customs end of things, I did not consider the Visa end of it or health requirements should there be a problem and we need a hotel. Good things to keep in mind.