Insane Experience in Montenegro

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Hey guys. My wife and I are in Europe (flew Singapore Suites JFK-FRA) and had a crazy experience that I need to share.

We were taking a tour of Skadar Lake in Montenegro when a small police firefighting plane attempted to land on the water. Unfortunately, he forgot to take his landing gear up and the plane flipped over. Our little boat was closest and we actually ended up rescuing the pilot, who was fine. The craziest part was that my wife actually got the whole thing on video. I make a very short cameo (you can hear me say "uh oh" and I am in a blue shirt at the 16 second mark).

Check them out on my wife's YouTube page and click an ad or 2 to earn me a couple bucks. There are 2 videos, one of the crash and one of the rescue. Enjoy!

Crash

Rescue

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Only thing that matters is the pilot is fine. Great to hear that. Great Work! Quite a durable plane.
Yes. We were very relieved to find him ok. The whole time our boat was heading towards the plane I'm thinking about how many breaths to chest compressions I'm supposed to do for CPR and how we are going to get him out if he was still in the cockpit. Thank god it wasn't necessary.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Nice catch on camera. I see there are other youtubers cloning your video. So fortunate to be unscathed I was afraid he was knocked unconscious and submerged

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
Nice catch on camera. I see there are other youtubers cloning your video. So fortunate to be unscathed I was afraid he was knocked unconscious and submerged
We were all worried. That boat ride to the plane felt like 10 minutes, but it was actually about 3. Yea, there are clones of the video, including a Serbian news outlet with a quarter million views. That said, the content is licensed and we get paid if people click on their ad links as well. Not a lot, but every buck feels like an unexpected bonus. It all works out.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
whoa really? do they get permission from you? How is it linked. I did click on a prostate cancer ad though i'm not sure why that was targeted towards me

Matt S NYC

Level 2 Member
whoa really? do they get permission from you? How is it linked. I did click on a prostate cancer ad though i'm not sure why that was targeted towards me
They don't have permission. They just stole it from my wife's web server before we had a chance to monetize it. We have now sold the licensing rights to a viral video company in the UK who deals with the technical aspects of getting the money from YouTube. They take a percentage but we do no work. They also are supposed to try to sell it to TV shows and we would get the majority of that money as well. I don't expect a killing, but a few grand over a year for a cool video of a crazy experience is a nice bonus.

Thank you for the click. I hope your prostate is allright. ;)

Update: This was featured on a viral internet video show. I may tell my wife she doesn't have to go to WM anymore after this! lol

http://www.rightthisminute.com/video/rtmtv-plane-combating-forest-fire-crashes-lake-skadar

Last edited: