Ink Plus vs United Card or Amex Car Insurance...??

The Ikonik One

Level 2 Member
Does anyone know if the coverage for car insurance when the Ink card is used is the same as the one by the Mileage Plus United Card or the one Amex charges for when their cards are used? I sometimes use my Platinum card on long rentals or the United card on short business rentals thinking that they cover more than the Ink. Am I wrong? Do they have the same coverage?? I know I'm not the only one wondering about this... I think!

FullMoonMadness

Level 2 Member
I did a lot of research on car rental insurance a few years ago, so my knowledge may be dated.

• I have not looked at the Ink coverage
  • I understand the United MileagePlus coverage to be the same as the Sapphire.
  • The Amex coverage you are referring to is (I believe) the $25/rental coverage
  • I believe Amex covers to higher $$$ limits, though you may need to double-check that
  • I recall reading somewhere that using coupon codes/discounts for the rental does not constitute the credit card being used to cover the full cost of the rental -- which, if true, would violate the terms of the Chase coverage, and result in no coverage
  • I called Amex a few years ago and, according to the person on the phone, you can use coupon codes and still be covered -- however, I have not been able to locate that in the T&Cs
For a while I used the Amex insurance (Amex PRG) because of the coupon codes info, but lately I have switched to the Chase Sapphire since I don't expect Amex to honor something not in the T&Cs.

I think all of my above comments may need to be checked since that research was done in 2013. That being said, I really wish someone in our community who works in car insurance for a living would do an in-depth analysis and comparison of the insurance coverages. With pecial attention to coupon codes/discounts. When it comes down to it, I would readily use the paid Amex coverage if I knew it to be better. I see the $25 as a gamble, and well worth the cost of not having to make a claim on my own insurance, and thus having my rates go up far more than $25 for many years.

Lots of bloggers get excited about posting the 'free coverage...' by such and such credit card, but I never know if they are just dazzled by the word "free," or if they know someone with knowledge of the industry who has said a specific insurance kicks total donkey patootie. Plus some of the bloggers will hawk whatever product is benefiting them and/or the current fad. In other words, I don't necessarily trust the advise of a travel blogger on which car insurance coverage I should use because I don't see it as their area of expertise.

I don't know if this post helped, or just muddied the waters. :(

Lappie

Level 2 Member
I recently was in a car accident with a rental where I used my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for payment.

I was in a rental because my vehicle was sideswiped in a parking lot and it was being repaired.

Its a long story, but basically, a driver had a seizure, came into my lanes the wrong way and hit me head on along with six other cars.

I called Chase immediately and started a claim for the rental car. They asked the basic questions and you get a form, via email, to fill out additional information and sign.

They also ask for, the rental agreement, receipts, two pictures, the credit card statement, my car insurance declaration pages, the accident report from police, the rental agency's accident report, the rental agency's quote or bill for damages, the name and address of the rental agency's adjuster/repair shop, an itemized bill of the damage and final total.

It was a very tedious and difficult process to gather all the information needed. The agency did not have a quote or itemized bill for the damages for weeks, so the process took quite a while.

I tried calling numerous times, because the rental agency kept contacting my car insurance company for information and not Chase even though I told them Chase was primary.

No one wants to help over at the Chase Rental Product customer service. You talk to a man or lady who says they will "make notes" for my adjuster and they will go from there. I finally had to call and get mad after numerous attempts to talk to my "adjuster" because my insurance was getting ready to send a check to the rental car agency and I told them, No! Finally, someone called me back and I had them call the rental agency and my insurance and explain they are handling the situation.

They did end up paying me my $500 deductible, which was collected when I returned the car all smashed. Chase also paid $9000+ for the damages for the rental vehicle.

Be aware, they only pay for car damages and thats it. Anything else goes through your insurance, like bodily injury.

All in all, I was very frustrated with the process and it really would not have been an issue for my insurance to handle it because it was not my fault, and I had to use them anyway for injuries and other issues. However, after a long, drawn out process, they did end up paying.

Had the accident been my fault. maybe this would have been worth the effort.

Just a tidbit, the driver who had a seizure's insurance denied all my claims, because a seizure is a "sudden medical condition" and an "act of God" so they are not liable. I only did this to get my $500 deductible back, that my insurance company would not have offered.

FullMoonMadness

Level 2 Member
I recently was in a car accident with a rental where I used my Chase Sapphire Preferred card for payment.

I was in a rental because my vehicle was sideswiped in a parking lot and it was being repaired.

Its a long story, but basically, a driver had a seizure, came into my lanes the wrong way and hit me head on along with six other cars.

I called Chase immediately and started a claim for the rental car. They asked the basic questions and you get a form, via email, to fill out additional information and sign.

They also ask for, the rental agreement, receipts, two pictures, the credit card statement, my car insurance declaration pages, the accident report from police, the rental agency's accident report, the rental agency's quote or bill for damages, the name and address of the rental agency's adjuster/repair shop, an itemized bill of the damage and final total.

It was a very tedious and difficult process to gather all the information needed. The agency did not have a quote or itemized bill for the damages for weeks, so the process took quite a while.

I tried calling numerous times, because the rental agency kept contacting my car insurance company for information and not Chase even though I told them Chase was primary.

No one wants to help over at the Chase Rental Product customer service. You talk to a man or lady who says they will "make notes" for my adjuster and they will go from there. I finally had to call and get mad after numerous attempts to talk to my "adjuster" because my insurance was getting ready to send a check to the rental car agency and I told them, No! Finally, someone called me back and I had them call the rental agency and my insurance and explain they are handling the situation.

They did end up paying me my $500 deductible, which was collected when I returned the car all smashed. Chase also paid $9000+ for the damages for the rental vehicle.

Be aware, they only pay for car damages and thats it. Anything else goes through your insurance, like bodily injury.

All in all, I was very frustrated with the process and it really would not have been an issue for my insurance to handle it because it was not my fault, and I had to use them anyway for injuries and other issues. However, after a long, drawn out process, they did end up paying.

Had the accident been my fault. maybe this would have been worth the effort.

Just a tidbit, the driver who had a seizure's insurance denied all my claims, because a seizure is a "sudden medical condition" and an "act of God" so they are not liable. I only did this to get my $500 deductible back, that my insurance company would not have offered.
Did you use a coupon or discount code when paying for the rental?

Lappie

Level 2 Member
Ha. That is why I responded and forgot to add it.

Yes, the insurance company paid $20 of the rental for me, and it was clearly shown on the receipt.

I only put $15 on the CSP.

The Ikonik One

Level 2 Member
Well I lost a key yesterday and my ink will just say we're sorry for you! Now i know anything like that is not covered at all. I was given this advice, reserve with the AMEX as their coverage is better and pay with the ink upon returning the car. I'm just wondering how better the AMEX coverage is!