Infant Travel Question

manicsocks

Level 2 Member
I don't think I've seen this covered elsewhere but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any tips:

My family and I are relocating for my work next week and my employer is paying for all of our tickets (on DL). Our daughter is 16 months old and even when we have bought her own seat in the past, we've never used it because she prefers to be in our lap the whole time, even when we are in Y.

I submitted request for upgrades for all of us for both segments of the itinerary; however, mine was upgraded for both segments, my wife's was upgraded for the first (much longer) segment only and our daughter hasn't gotten any upgrade yet.

I'm not sure what to do. If we had our druthers, my wife and I would sit in J on the initial leg with our daughter on our laps and then my wife and daughter can sit up front for the second leg with me in the back. But I'm not sure how to work that. If we go to the checkin counter with our current situation, there is going to be a problem because our daughter is ticketed in a different cabin than us. While we won't need to seat for the baby on the first leg, we do want her seat for the second.

Has anyone face anything similar in the past? What should I do to make this work?

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
I don't think I've seen this covered elsewhere but I thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any tips:

My family and I are relocating for my work next week and my employer is paying for all of our tickets (on DL). Our daughter is 16 months old and even when we have bought her own seat in the past, we've never used it because she prefers to be in our lap the whole time, even when we are in Y.

I submitted request for upgrades for all of us for both segments of the itinerary; however, mine was upgraded for both segments, my wife's was upgraded for the first (much longer) segment only and our daughter hasn't gotten any upgrade yet.

I'm not sure what to do. If we had our druthers, my wife and I would sit in J on the initial leg with our daughter on our laps and then my wife and daughter can sit up front for the second leg with me in the back. But I'm not sure how to work that. If we go to the checkin counter with our current situation, there is going to be a problem because our daughter is ticketed in a different cabin than us. While we won't need to seat for the baby on the first leg, we do want her seat for the second.

Has anyone face anything similar in the past? What should I do to make this work?
Is it domestic or international, and are they complimentary upgrades or some upgrade instrument like miles or SWUs?

I'm not sure I would call at this point, they might think the only solution is to downgrade one of you... but this could all be resolved if some/all of you get clear the upgrades closer to the flight.

If you get to the airport and you have two J seats and a toddler who is lapchild age by herself in coach, the very worst thing that can happen is one of you will sit in Y without the child, and one of you will sit in J with the child.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I might consider checking inventory (without being logged in to the FF account) to see how J is looking. If it is already chock full then you know the chances of that 3rd upgraded are low/non existent you might want to think about if you can do this what @janetdoe suggests.

I'd be a bit concerned if it seemed there was little chance of an upgrade and the infant was in the back, which a seat swap should be fine, I'm not sure how it would work out in terms of the check in process.

ialto

Level 2 Member
one option might be to cancel your daughter's tix, and then take her as a lap child. that way, she can go in biz in anycase.

ialto