Improvements and Additions to the Forum

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick update on some improvements and additions that have rolled out today:

Enhanced Search
We had a number of requests, including several of my own to Pagan deities to improve the search here. Today I worked with my tech team to rebuild the index and move to a more advanced search process. I hope that it works out for you, because its as good as it can get for now!

Push Notifications
I have built an integration to an app called Pushbullet. This will allow you to receive real time forum notifications - whatever you'd normally have to log in to check if there was an alert will now be pushed to your device. This works on phones (iOS and Android Apps) and across platforms, so you can have this running on your PC/Mac/Tablet and be alerted to something happening realtime. I've been running this for the past few days and it is pretty neat - you get a reply to a PM faster through this app than through the Forum!

To set it up, download the Pushbullet app from the AppStore or GooglePlay (it is free) then head on over to your profile to upgrade your settings and authorize the app.

Premium Supporter Area
We recently rolled out a subscription membership to the Forum. Participation is optional, and while appreciated is secondary to you just being an awesome member of the communty. I am always open to hearing about how to improve things both in the Free zones and the Premium zones, and will continue to add more features to them as we go forward.

There are two levels of Supporter at this time, they work on a monthly subscription that you can cancel at any time.

I have had too many requests, and quite enough demands, for a more rigorous screening process, different rules and regulations, and a 'Level 3'. Everyone has great ideas, and different notions of what the restricted area of the Forum should be, so I decided to turn it over to you. Premium Supporters are able to build their own nodes, and they are in charge of the decisions there.

• You can build a Level 3 demanding Photo IDs
  • You can only allow people who are 'vouched for'
  • You can have your own area where you discuss deals off the main thread
  • You can decide who is in, and who is out
Alternatively, you might just want to set up regional hub nodes, for more discrete discussion of opportunities, such as talking about where to buy VR in NYC without it being in the full eye of Sauron. Or you might want to build a special interest group, such as a Womens (or Mens) only section.

Enjoy!

sriki

Level 2 Member
Sauron is my favorite villain. So, no shots at the all seeing eye, mmmmk?

1. In the premium supporter area, do one supporter get to create threads only or threads and sub-forums also? If a person creates a thread/sub-forum, can that said person invite another supporter to that? I am assuming that only premium supporters can be invited into that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Will there be mod activity in those areas?
EDIT: I just saw the account upgrade link and that answered my question.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Sauron is my favorite villain. So, no shots at the all seeing eye, mmmmk?

1. In the premium supporter area, do one supporter get to create threads only or threads and sub-forums also? If a person creates a thread/sub-forum, can that said person invite another supporter to that? I am assuming that only premium supporters can be invited into that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Will there be mod activity in those areas?
EDIT: I just saw the account upgrade link and that answered my question.
To answer a bit more...

I was thinking it would be cool to make the Premium Supporter the Mod and then only allow in Support level or higher,and also (this is madness perhaps) kick back some of the supporter revenue to the Premium Supporter - EG

Premium Support owns the node, takes $1 from every $5 for the Supporters they recruit... so if you get more than 10 people in your 'team' not only are you the Moderator, but also I pay you each month...

I still think that's cool, but didn't want to restrict overly as to who you could invite in.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I just very happily signed up to be a Premium Supporter not as a path into private groups but because I see it as a way that we can help keep The Forum going and solvent. Thanks @Matt for all the work so far and these latest updates. It sounds great.

Might it be appropriate to comp the mods (TheBOSman and Annie H.) to the Premium Supporter level; they work very hard here too. Just a thought.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

Matt you should really put up a more detailed post, with screenshots, of how to get the Pushbullet function setup and working. I have a feeling some of our older and non-tech savvy members are going to be completely lost with this.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I just very happily signed up to be a Premium Supporter not as a path into private groups but because I see it as a way that we can help keep The Forum going and solvent. Thanks @Matt for all the work so far and these latest updates. It sounds great.

Might it be appropriate to comp the mods (TheBOSman and Annie H.) to the Premium Supporter level; they work very hard here too. Just a thought.
I've already driven Matt to the brink of bankruptcy with my unquenchable thirst for Krug. He's also slacking on getting my place remodeled to look like the Lufthansa First Class Terminal! :D

thorax

Level 90 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Warlock
@Matt Has adding tapatalk support been discussed? That not only gives you Pushbullet-like features, but the ability to browse the entire forum in a much more 'mobile' digestible format.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Thanks, Elaine, but I am not a Mod and Matt has been more than generous with me, especially with his words. My Admin "title" which I recently redacted to have some fun harkens back to an earlier time of the forum. I was curious to know what Matt and mods could actually see and do and I was going to learn the software, which hasn't happened yet.

I certainly do agree with you about TheBosman. Maybe we can all help him out with that Krug--or a pint-;) at the DO.

TheBOSman

Staff member
Matt, just thought of something related to what you consider. I have other concerns, but I just thought of a rather noticeable logistical one: what happens if a supporter joins multiple private nodes? Do we split off $1 for both? Then, obviously, what if it goes above 5 private nodes? Do we restrict it to the first one(s) that was joined? Does the supporter get to choose which one(s) to support? I like the idea, but the implementation seems like it could be rather messy. Also sounds like a little of an accounting headache :rolleyes:.

Haley

I am not a robot
There are people left who don't hate push notifications?
Ha! I'm already enough of a slave to my digital devices, but I'm glad the feature is there for those that want it.

How did you come up with the price points?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I know I'm not understanding something-- just don't know what. If you want to monetize--why not just a Level 3? The explanation I need, I guess, is--what do nodes give that "conversations"/groups don't do? Are they easier, more tech capabilities, etc.?
Is one of the objectives of the "nodes" individual monetization?

Edit: Our Women's DO event "conversation" has worked really well. We've used it sparingly and only discussed info and issues with our Sun. morning meeting. However, one of the things we're going to discuss on Sunday is the possibility of setting up a *permanent* women's conversation here. Can you help me understand exactly how that would be better?

Last edited:

Haley

I am not a robot
I know I'm not understanding something-- just don't know what. If you want to monetize--why not just a Level 3? The explanation I need, I guess, is--what do nodes give that "conversations"/groups don't do? Are they easier, more tech capabilities, etc.?
And why wouldn't a group just go set up a password protected free area on a site like Proboards?
Or just create a private Facebook group?

I do get that people were asking for a level 3, I'm just not sure this fills that need. I don't need an area to talk about higher level topics with people I already know and trust, we already have that in place, I might like a way to interact on a more restricted level with people I don't know yet/get to know people. But I don't see $120/yr in value in that.

Just my 2 cents.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
And why wouldn't a group just go set up a password protected free area on a site like Proboards?
Or just create a private Facebook group?

I do get that people were asking for a level 3, I'm just not sure this fills that need. I don't need an area to talk about higher level topics with people I already know and trust, we already have that in place, I might like a way to interact on a more restricted level with people I don't know yet/get to know people. But I don't see $120/yr in value in that.

Just my 2 cents.
I haven't even begun to deal with the $120/year value but you do bring up a question. Does this program mean that *anyone* (I don't even like talking about it in this way, it's like HS cliques or like the middle-ages with tiny fiefdoms set up all over the place) can pay to join Level 3, buy their way in. But it's all OK because once in they have to "prove" themselves to either join or have someone join their node? I get monetization of the forum. I'm onboard with rewarding/supporting the team (this does NOT include me) but perhaps this isn't....

I know @Matt's thing is "throw it out there, let folks discuss, dissect, solve, create, brainstorm"-- apologize, don't ask permission. He's being true to form;)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt, just thought of something related to what you consider. I have other concerns, but I just thought of a rather noticeable logistical one: what happens if a supporter joins multiple private nodes? Do we split off $1 for both? Then, obviously, what if it goes above 5 private nodes? Do we restrict it to the first one(s) that was joined? Does the supporter get to choose which one(s) to support? I like the idea, but the implementation seems like it could be rather messy. Also sounds like a little of an accounting headache :rolleyes:.
It didn't get implemented, it was just a discussion. As of now, Premium Supporters get the node, and they get to invite whomever they want to join them there.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Much appreciated.

Just FYI, the Mods have greater seniority than the Premium Supporters, in so much as they get to mod 'everywhere'. TheBOSman is our only offical Mod at this time, though Annie has been a great help and we are still discussing whether than becomes a formal relationship or not.

I'll be using some of the premium subscriber income to pay the Mods here. I do have Ad revenue, but it isn't proven yet, so I thought if we could get some inflows from this I could be more comfortable in assigning a little beer money to the people working to keep this mad house in order.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Matt you should really put up a more detailed post, with screenshots, of how to get the Pushbullet function setup and working. I have a feeling some of our older and non-tech savvy members are going to be completely lost with this.
You should really see my schedule and To Do list :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
@Matt Has adding tapatalk support been discussed? That not only gives you Pushbullet-like features, but the ability to browse the entire forum in a much more 'mobile' digestible format.
Yes, it has been discussed and no, it won't be implemented at this time. Tapatalk is a mess from a design and security perspective, if that improves I will consider it. In the interim I wanted to give you guys push ability, which works very well.

wasser

Level 2 Member
I definitely agree, but going forward we need to all become computer and/or tech savvy to be successful with any number of MS endeavors. As the CC companies and others become more adept with their tracking and blocking, technical knowledge will be a valuable weapon. For those who aren't tech savvy at this point, I suggest you read about privacy and the web - it will
give you information applicable to MSing with out overwhelming you too much other tech information.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
There are people left who don't hate push notifications?
Ha! I'm already enough of a slave to my digital devices, but I'm glad the feature is there for those that want it.

How did you come up with the price points?
Price points? I didn't. I just picked a random number that seemed affordable. If you aren't earning > $10 per month from the gigs here you are in the wrong place :)

Matt

Administrator
Staff member

Edit: Our Women's DO event "conversation" has worked really well. We've used it sparingly and only discussed info and issues with our Sun. morning meeting. However, one of the things we're going to discuss on Sunday is the possibility of setting up a *permanent* women's conversation here. Can you help me understand exactly how that would be better?
Sure. What is better, PM or a forum? How about a forum that you are Mod of, and you can invite only women into?

The former question, why not just a Level 3 - it is Level 3. What's the difference? :) I was partly inspired by people telling me that they would pay for Level 3, considerably larger amounts of money than we are talking here ($500-$1000) so I thought to myself, what are they seeking to buy?

You can't buy trust, but you can, for a lot less money than that, build your own level 3, and invite people into it if you want.

Anyone who asks me going forward for a different set of entry criteria can just build their own Fora right here and rent the real estate, it is a lot cheaper than paying what I am for the software and hosting, and they can't complain about the Mods/Admin/Vision/Goals as it is all them....

smittytabb

Staff member
Just want to suggest that the entire forum is fairly new and that group dynamics do go through various stages. The complication of course is that you have various versions of acquaintance from F2F to online only and every combination in between. I will say that once people begin partitioning off into smaller groups, some will feel excluded. Private clubs and groups are super if you are in them, not so much if you are not. This could impact the larger dynamic on the forum. If you care about that, it might be worth setting up some measurable guidelines to see if that is indeed the case or not. However, once you do have the smaller groups in place in situ, it can be hard to reign it back in.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
How about a forum that you are Mod of, and you can invite only women into?
Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my question. I have that right now with the "Conversation" about the women's meeting on Sunday morning at the DO although we haven't required full frontal pix to prove anything:p.

So--my question was really a technical one--what's going to make things easier to do that via the "forum" method. I guess more mod "control"--i.e. in conversations you can't delete stuff, what else does a "forum" method offer over private conversations where I can invite anyone I wish?

Haley

I am not a robot
Price points? I didn't. I just picked a random number that seemed affordable. If you aren't earning > $10 per month from the gigs here you are in the wrong place :)
Ah, but I'm doing so w/o paying for a private site.

Every single reason not to have a level 3 still stands, paid special areas are much worse in my book.

Put up a donation link and leave it at that.

Once I pay for something I get demanding... ;)

wasser

Level 2 Member
Premium Supporter Area
We recently rolled out a subscription membership to the Forum. Participation is optional.
I definitely want to support this site, but I don't want to go through paypal and give out personal information.
However, I would be delighted to make donation via a gift card.

I have had too many requests, and quite enough demands, for a more rigorous screening process, different rules and regulations, and a 'Level 3'.

You can build a Level 3 demanding Photo IDs
Also, there is no L3 information that would be worth it me to give out a photo ID and/or my real name.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I wasn't clear enough on my question. I have that right now with the "Conversation" about the women's meeting on Sunday morning at the DO although we haven't required full frontal pix to prove anything:p.

So--my question was really a technical one--what's going to make things easier to do that via the "forum" method. I guess more mod "control"--i.e. in conversations you can't delete stuff, what else does a "forum" method offer over private conversations where I can invite anyone I wish?
You tell me. I'm not here to sell it. If PM works then that's fine. If you would rather have a private forum where the women can start up threads but have it 'your own space' then I gave you that option- if you don't want that option, don't take it, it is optional...

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I definitely want to support this site, but I don't want to go through paypal and give out personal information.

Also, there is no L3 information that would be worth it me to give out a photo ID and/or my real name.
That's very kind, and you don't need to. It is optional.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, but I'm doing so w/o paying for a private site.

Every single reason not to have a level 3 still stands, paid special areas are much worse in my book.

Put up a donation link and leave it at that.

Once I pay for something I get demanding... ;)
Paid special areas that I don't control? I disagree. If I took Level2 (the content of you guys) and demanded payment to access it I would agree. However, all I am actually doing is allowing people to opt to support in exchange for no ads on the site. In order to differentiate two levels of payment I also allowed them to have some real estate here.

That doesn't mean that I am building a clique or a level 3 - it just gives me the ability to turn around and say 'you want these rules, here have a node'.

It is worth noting that the people who are building nodes thus far are using them as working areas - IE they have projects they want to dump somewhere, akin to storing in dropbox, and they can experiment in private before launching them into general population.

TheBOSman

Staff member

I think it was just an example Matt used. I've heard it thrown around by other people, but there is NOTHING worthwhile enough in this where I would send my photo ID and/or real name to a relative stranger. I don't even like giving it to TSA :rolleyes:.

@Haley one of the benefits that I see is having both Level 2 and Level 3 in the same place, with one unique login. Keeps things a little simpler from an individual's perspective, I already have more passwords and logins than I'd really prefer personally.

wasser

Level 2 Member
That's very kind, and you don't need to. It is optional.
Well, I do want to support the site. If paypal is the only option, then I will get a friend to do it for me.

I think it was just an example Matt used. I've heard it thrown around by other people.
I realize it was just an example, but I've heard it thrown around too enthusiastically in a number of situations.
But I am glad to know that you share my concern. As a side-note, I was showing this article back in 2000 to all my friends to prove I wasn't crazy.

Last edited:

Annie H.

Egalatarian
You tell me. I'm not here to sell it. If PM works then that's fine. If you would rather have a private forum where the women can start up threads but have it 'your own space' then I gave you that option- if you don't want that option, don't take it, it is optional...
I can't tell you because I don't/didn't fully understand the difference and that's what--that's ALL-- I was asking. Thanks for clarifying: being able to start up private threads in a private forum is something you are offering that's not available now. I'm trying to get information, not start a fight.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you because I don't/didn't fully understand the difference and that's what--that's ALL-- I was asking. Thanks for clarifying: being able to start up private threads in a private forum is something you are offering that's not available now. I'm trying to get information, not start a fight.
I'm not fighting anyone, just talking quickly. I do want it to be clear that I am not pushing this on anyone, and I am happy if people like PM. I am really not selling it. I think if you have been working on PM for a while now and also been here on the forum you should know what you prefer? Whatever it is, that's cool with me :)

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I'm not fighting anyone, just talking quickly. I do want it to be clear that I am not pushing this on anyone, and I am happy if people like PM. I am really not selling it. I think if you have been working on PM for a while now and also been here on the forum you should know what you prefer? Whatever it is, that's cool with me :)
Sorry to beat this to death, see my new avatar. I can't know what I prefer if I don't know what the new one offers--maybe I'm the only one that doesn't fully understand the new "nodes." I'll shut up now.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to beat this to death, see my new avatar. I can't know what I prefer if I don't know what the new one offers--maybe I'm the only one that doesn't fully understand the new "nodes." I'll shut up now.
Look at it like this. You aren't 'buying the node'.

If you want to support the site with money you get a tag on your profile, no adverts, and the knowledge that TBM is getting Krug. If you don't want to you don't have to, I am totally fine with that. I am just providing the ability to do this.

If you happen to be the type of person who is using Adblock already and giving nothing back to the site, perhaps the $5 level would be nice of you.

If you happen to be the type of person who wants to support a bit more then you can elect the $10 level.

If you elect the $10 level, you get something for free, it's called a node, do whatever the heck you want with it, or never use it. As long as it isn't illegal/porn/etc then its all yours.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

When I get put in charge of level 4 you're going to have to have a symbotic bond with a woodland, or seafaring creature, to be allowed access. I personally am very good friends with an alligator who lives in the canal behind my home. Photographic verification and blood testing will be required.

This, seems the logical progression as to where this forum is headed so I want to get out in front of it now so you people have time to prepare.