Improved BB codes and integration

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We have built in additional support for embedding information within a post.

A useful example of this would be googledocs if you wish to share a spreadsheet, ensure that the settings on the link are set to 'view by all with link' then copy/paste the link into the body of a post. Here is an example with an old sheet I was working on for a post:

The following formats should automatically parse:

ABC News, Amazon Product, audioBoom, Audiomack, Bandcamp, BBC News, Bleacher Report videos, Blip, Break, CBS News Video, CNBC, CNN, CNNMoney, Colbert Nation, CollegeHumor, Comedy Central, Coub, Dailymotion, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, dumpert, 8tracks, ESPN, ESPN Deportes, Facebook, Flickr, Fox News, Funny or Die, Gamespot, GameTrailers, Getty Images, Gfycat, GitHub Gist (via custom iframe), Global News, GoFundMe, Google+, Google Sheets, Grooveshark, Hudl, Hulu, HumorTV, IGN, IMDb, Imgur, Indiegogo, Instagram, Internet Archive, İzlesene, Kontinental Hockey League (КХЛ), Kickstarter, LiveLeak, Livestream, Mail.Ru, Medium, Metacafe, Mixcloud, MSNBC, National Geographic Channel, National Geographic Video, NHL VideoCenter, NPR, The New York Times Video, Pastebin, Podbean, Prezi, Rdio, Reddit comment permalink, Rutube, Scribd, SlideShare, SoundCloud, Sportsnet, Spotify, Straw Poll, Streamable, Team Coco, TED Talks, The Atlantic Video, The Onion, TinyPic videos, TMZ, Trailer Addict, Tumblr, Twitch, Twitter (via custom iframe), Ustream, VBOX7, VEVO, Viagame, Videomega, vidme, Vimeo, Vine, VK, Vocaroo, WorldStarHipHop, The Wall Street Journal Online, XboxClips, Xbox DVR, Yahoo! Screen, Youku, YouTube, Zippyshare audio files.

The complete list with examples of supported URLs can be found on its GitHub page.

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
Hmmm,

So, let's say I want to embed some media. I click the two film strip icon in the right text editor which brings up a media list. One of the media list items is The Onion. If I try to use:

http://www.theonion.com/video/nation-successfully-completes-mothers-day-by-918-a-35998

which is their sample URL on their github page, after I click "Embed" it fails with a "The specified URL cannot be embedded as media."

I click their The Onion link, and it takes me to The Onion Studios. I find a link there that's notable:

http://www.onionstudios.com/videos/where-do-you-rank-on-the-overa-2782

I click the double-film-strip/movie icon thing, and enter that URL, then click "Embed" and get the same "The specified URL cannot be embedded as media."

We need emoji to properly express my sadness at the plight we are in here.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm,

So, let's say I want to embed some media. I click the two film strip icon in the right text editor which brings up a media list. One of the media list items is The Onion. If I try to use:

which is their sample URL on their github page, after I click "Embed" it fails with a "The specified URL cannot be embedded as media."

I click their The Onion link, and it takes me to The Onion Studios. I find a link there that's notable:

www.onionstudios.com/videos/where-do-you-rank-on-the-overa-2782

I click the double-film-strip/movie icon thing, and enter that URL, then click "Embed" and get the same "The specified URL cannot be embedded as media."

We need emoji to properly express my sadness at the plight we are in here.
I'll get my team in Silicon Valley on this forthwith.

Seems to be a conflict drawing in non-ssl content.

Last edited:

SomeRandomGuy

Nerd, Poet, Warrior
The only thing that would make this better would be emoji to express my delight at knowing there is a way to make this work.