IHG novice

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I've never booked an IHG with points before--sheesh, I've only booked-- well... never mind, I save 'em and need to figure out how to spend them.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to renew by IHG CC which I got for Europe trips that didn't materialize and probably won't for a year so I'm thinking of just spending them. Admittedly it is irresponsible because here in Sonoma Co. the local Holiday Inn Express needs 30K per night. But I need to get out of my house while construction is going on.

Problem is when I try to book w/points the only thing available is a King room. We want two beds. Is this possible-- if so, how... and thanks!

Confectioneer

San Francisco Bay Area
I've only done King beds before so can't offer personal experience, but I'd think it's worth calling in for the booking and seeing if they can get you 2 beds.

For what it's worth this card is a keeper for me and my wife -- we end up using the free nights for staycations in SF. :)

smittytabb

Staff member
I've never booked an IHG with points before--sheesh, I've only booked-- well... never mind, I save 'em and need to figure out how to spend them.

I'm not sure whether I'm going to renew by IHG CC which I got for Europe trips that didn't materialize and probably won't for a year so I'm thinking of just spending them. Admittedly it is irresponsible because here in Sonoma Co. the local Holiday Inn Express needs 30K per night. But I need to get out of my house while construction is going on.

Problem is when I try to book w/points the only thing available is a King room. We want two beds. Is this possible-- if so, how... and thanks!
The IHG card may have more value than most IMHO. It is a no brainer keeper at $49 AF and one night free ANYWHERE. My room at the Intercontinental in Hong Kong running in the multiple hundreds is an example of the kind of value you can get with keeping it the second year. People also forget it has 2x on gas, groceries and gastronomy (dining).

OK, in terms of the room, often with rooms that are on points the type of room is not guaranteed anyway. I would contact the property ahead and let them know of your needs. I would think if available, they would do it. Depends on the property, the policies of the management, the discretion of the person who checks you in, the capacity of the property at the time you are staying there. The list goes on. This type of thing is clearly YMMV.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I agree with @smittytabb. We use the reward night for the more expensive properties. With a combination of anniversary nights and last year's Into the Nights promo, we stayed 4 nights at IC in Amsterdam this year and will be using 3 nights at IC Hong Kong in November. Promos aside, with both of us having the card, that's two nights for $98. IC in Amsterdam was $500/night.

EDIT: Reward nights do expire after 12 months. Points do not.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
The hotel suggested they request a rollaway for me at an additional $30 and the rollaway cannot even be guaranteed. Great service, guys. I know how great this card is overseas, I just have to get there.

right now I can't even find anything on AirBnB, off to VBRO. Wine Country in the summer! Thanks for the responses.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
The hotel suggested they request a rollaway for me at an additional $30 and the rollaway cannot even be guaranteed. Great service, guys. I know how great this card is overseas, I just have to get there.

right now I can't even find anything on AirBnB, off to VBRO. Wine Country in the summer! Thanks for the responses.
That's lousy customer service - I'm sorry to hear that.

MsUnknown

There are other options if you don't mind a little drive. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Napa Valley only requires 20k points a night to book a room. The Holiday Inn Express in Benecia, 15k points. You will use less points there and perhaps one of those properties will have better customer service. Since you have the IHG credit card, make sure to let them know of your status with Rewards Club (Platinum or Spire).

The Staybridge Suites in Fairfield Napa Area is featured in the ongoing PointBreaks promotion, where you only need 5k points for one night. However, the property is taken off the list now, probably because the limited number of rooms they had set aside for the promotion are gone. Like you said.. Wine country in the summer!

Hope this helps.

Phantom707

Gold Member
I would suggest that after you receive your annual night certificate but before you have to pay the annual fee, you downgrade to the no annual fee Classic version. This allows you to maintain gold status to prevent your points from expiring.

Regarding actually using your points to book a stay, one alternative you have is to call in to book the reservation instead of doing it over the phone. The hotel will then be able to tell you if they have any standard rooms available, rooms that have two beds.

Kint Sakurai

In these situations, my needs are always reversed. I need a king and only two queens are available for award redemption while king is available for pay. So, I always just book the two queens and then call the property and tell them I accidentally booked two queens and ask for my room type to be changed to a king bed. Never fails.

Littleblackdress

Little family
I love IHG. Myabe because it my first hotel card, but I find it to be one of the easier ones to accumlate points on. I see you're questions been answered, but yeah I alays call ahead and ask. It can never hurt. If you go with AirBnB look for promotions. Google for coupons and check for portions on Amex and things.