If you had 120,000 UR points what would you use them for?

projectx

Level 2 Member
Depends... do you have any specific travel goals in mind? For me personally, almost all of my UR points go to Southwest.

fpguy

Level 2 Member
All I know is I want to go on a vacation that's most bang for the buck. I haven't been on a vacation in around 8 years haha.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
i just did what Matt S NYC did except that it's LAX-Sydney stopover in Seoul via UR->United->Asiana redemption Biz 80kUR. 120 k UR F available but i want to save avios for AU<->NZ flights
Booked KE F Seoul to ATL 80k this past summer on A380
favorite use is domestic avios, and pre-deval J class aer lingus Boston->DUB/SNN
i have yet to redeem hyatts but family loves the hyatts

Dwater

Level 2 Member
Hyatts are good, use Hotel hustle to find what you are looking. Most have free a breakfast as well.

DanT

Level 2 Member
I think you need to think of a few places you want to go then see think about how best to leverage the points. If you are wondering what will give you the most bang for your ur points then usually transferring to an airline for business or first class international travel will give you the most value although it may not be the best value for you.

fpguy

Level 2 Member
I'm going to look into all the suggestions here, I was debating going to the Cayman islands or something for like 5 days

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
AA availability for 2 is rough. i'm doing MEL-LAX QF but otherwise I would want to try out doing F through thai airways in BKK just for the experience, the limos, 1 hr massage

RWC75

Level 2 Member
Recently needed a short notice hotel stay; most of the Marriotts / Hiltons / Hyatts were in the 30-40k per night range. Ended up booking for cash at $120 per night and redeeming URs for a statement credit instead.

Other than that, short haul BA and SW now that I've got my Companion Pass are incredible values.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Recently needed a short notice hotel stay; most of the Marriotts / Hiltons / Hyatts were in the 30-40k per night range. Ended up booking for cash at $120 per night and redeeming URs for a statement credit instead.

Other than that, short haul BA and SW now that I've got my Companion Pass are incredible values.
I would buy with points through Chase travel at 1.2 cents per UR instead of statement credit

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I would buy with points through Chase travel at 1.2 cents per UR instead of statement credit
I would have just paid with a card and made at least 240 points (CSP) if I couldn't conjure up better. I'm not above cashing in points on occasion for low-value awards, but I'm trying not to. But then, I'm hogging UR points (as well as others) for some lofty near-term travel plans, so this might just "be me".

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
For me, Hyatt and Southwest are the best UR transfer partners, especially with a companion pass on Southwest. The majority of my points have gone to Southwest though as I always can redeem there but I find that the Hyatts I have visited in the past year are almost always better at cash rates. However, at the advice of others, I do have a hefty bit of points hording in my Hyatt account for future travel.

Jslectronic

Level 2 Member
Are you traveling with a companion?
If you're idea of relaxation is time on the beach and a drink in your hand I would transfer 100k to Hyatt and redeem at zilira Cancun for 4 nights the remaining 20k can go to southwest and depending on where you are flying from what days and again if you are traveling with someone or not the other ticket
You would have a 4 night all inclusive vacation (food drinks beach, my idea of a good time) for the cost of some airline taxes and maybe resort fees

K

Kevin Piercy

Last year I booked YUL - IST - ATH one way for my wife and I in Turkish Business Class for 140,000 United miles. No stopover in IST but it was a great trip to Greece for our honeymoon.
It's a quick flight from ATH to Santorini for some awesome food and beautiful views on an island.

fpguy

Level 2 Member
I ended up transferring about 80k to Southwest and I'm still sitting on the other 40k. I booked 4 flights around the US to see my favorite artist live on weekends, and then another to Austin, and there are still plenty of points left. I'm having so much fun!

gotmilk

Level 2 Member
Personally I would use them to transfer to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer for Hawaii on United Airlines. I live in the NE and my main hub is United so makes sense for me.

AndyP

Level 2 Member
When choosing how to redeem it is important to look at opportunity costs. For me, most of my points I turn into cash because I don't travel that much other than regular airfare to visit family/friends. If I have the choice of redeeming UR at 3c/pt for airfare, and 1c/pt for cash, or AA points at 1.3c/pt for airfare vs .5c/pt for cash, I would still choose to redeem the AA points for cash despite the very low redemption value. This is because the opportunity cost is only .8c/pt (1.3-.5=.8) vs an opportunity cost of 2c/pt for UR (3-1=2). I would redeem UR until my planned airfare is paid for, and redeem the rest for cash. Because of the higher redemption value, I would have more points left over to turn into cash.

I would turn UR into SW points and use with companion pass for nearly 3c/pt.

PghRocks

Since you mentioned considering the Cayman it sounds like you're looking for somewhere warm and relaxing, the Zilara in Cancun mentioned above is practically new

I just wanted to point out that there are actually 6 Hyatt All-Inclusives, including in Jamaica - Zilara and Ziva

Double Occupancy is 25K Hyatt Points for Standard Room with a third and fourth person people allowed for 12,500 each, that's good value right there I tell you what

There's also one in Puerto Vallarta Ziva (a city seemingly on every "gotta go see it" list for this year) and its only 20K and Los Cabos Ziva is 20K as well

The Zilaras are adults only, the Ziva's are not

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Any tips on how to find first class flights for that redemption? New to the game and wondering what websites/feeds I should be monitoring. Thanks!
If you have an expertflyer subscription you can use that.
Otherwise, it's as simple as creating a korean air loyalty account and searching their routes/availability directly on their website. Familiarize yourself with the award chart. There are many sites that explain the ins and outs. one of my favorites is drew's on travelisfree
travelisfree [DOT] com/2014/12/15/complete-list-of-airline-award-charts/

@PghRocks Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably be checking out one of those hyatts in the next few months

cavil

Level 2 Member
I transferred 119000 URs to SQ for SYD-LAX via Singapore in F/suites this summer. Can't wait for the pampering and to compare it to CX F.