If I cancel a rewards flight that's already been cancelled once, do I get another full year to book?

• Thread starter RamboAroundTheWorld
  • Start date
R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I got in before the devaluation and booked a first class to Thailand back in January. My schedule's gone to shit and it looks like I'm going to have to choose between that and South America, which I might have to stick with. So if I rebook this award before my one year cutoff next January, and then cancel it again, will the system give me another 1 year to book it?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
By cancel do you mean redeposit Points? If so then they are back in your account (for a fee subject to status) and free to use again- but you'd have to pay the higher rate next time so could consider that a further penalty.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

By cancel do you mean redeposit Points? If so then they are back in your account (for a fee subject to status) and free to use again- but you'd have to pay the higher rate next time so could consider that a further penalty.
No, I meant book the award flight, then effectively postpone the trip like I did the first time. I'm stuck here with a sick family member and my schedule's shot to shit. So if I could somehow extend the ability to book the award I wouldn't have to lose it or put myself in a real bind by trying to force everything to be ready by January.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I think the rule is you should be able to extend it a year from the original booking date, but you might get lucky..

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I think the rule is you should be able to extend it a year from the original booking date, but you might get lucky..
I know I have until this January, but I basically need longer. I just don't know how to go about extending it? Call?

That's why the rebook then cancel again was my first thought. If it gave me another default amount of time I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure if you can get around it- a call would be without risk (in theory) as you can try to engineer it and if they say no keep the original booking.

If that failed then maybe go for the cancel and rebook option, but I don't know how it would work out.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

I'm not sure if you can get around it- a call would be without risk (in theory) as you can try to engineer it and if they say no keep the original booking.

If that failed then maybe go for the cancel and rebook option, but I don't know how it would work out.
I don't know if its even possible to cancel and rebook a flight that's already been cancelled and rebooked. I'm currently being flogged like I'm a criminal over on FT for even engendering to ask about this.

smittytabb

Staff member
I don't know if its even possible to cancel and rebook a flight that's already been cancelled and rebooked. I'm currently being flogged like I'm a criminal over on FT for even engendering to ask about this.
That is one of those times where status matters. I have done that on AA multiple times a day (don't ask, it wasn't for me, but for a daughter stuck with visa issues in Chile) with no cost whatsoever. I am EXP so that is my experience of it. Call and ask. I agree with @Matt that social engineering can play a role. But it probably is what it is. HUCA if necessary.

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

That is one of those times where status matters. I have done that on AA multiple times a day (don't ask, it wasn't for me, but for a daughter stuck with visa issues in Chile) with no cost whatsoever. I am EXP so that is my experience of it. Call and ask. I agree with @Matt that social engineering can play a role. But it probably is what it is. HUCA if necessary.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I have no status with United. Nor any other airlines actually.

audrytec

If I understood you correctly - you are not really canceling, just changing travel dates. You can change dates as many times as you need, but @Matt is right - typically, you get a year form the original booking date (and since you have no FF status, you also incur change fees). I have been successful twice on United, and that involved the infamous pre-devaluation award booking change, but I am 1k on UA. HUCC may work, so the best of luck!

R

RamboAroundTheWorld

If I understood you correctly - you are not really canceling, just changing travel dates. You can change dates as many times as you need, but @Matt is right - typically, you get a year form the original booking date (and since you have no FF status, you also incur change fees). I have been successful twice on United, and that involved the infamous pre-devaluation award booking change, but I am 1k on UA. HUCC may work, so the best of luck!
I booked my original award pre-devaluation, and have until January 2015 to rebook it. But I need to find a way to extend it a few months past January since I've been sequestered here due to some family illness.