Iceland in August using Chase UR

A friend of mine wants to surprise his wife with a trip to Iceland for 5-6 days in August. He currently has 150K UR points. He asked me for some help booking an award ticket. No good flights with either United or British. Looked at paying with UR points. Came out to 1.25 cents per point. Roundtrip on Iceland Air approx 59K UR for an approx $700 per person. ticket. I feel like this may be his best option. His timeline and dates are not very flexible. Am I missing something or is this the best option?

SanDiego1K

Level 2 Member
As you have found, there is no effective way to use UR points for partner flights to get to Iceland. If you use UR points, you'll overshoot Iceland and then have to return from the UK or continental Europe. This is a case where I've bought my ticket to Iceland instead of using points. There are nonstop flights from the East Coast. It's a relatively short flight as far as international flights go.

Since my trip, Iceland has restored its partnership with Alaska. Your friend could pursue this should he have AS points or SPG points to transfer to AS.

Your friend will need to decide whether he values 59K UR points or $700 more. I would find it painful to use UR points, but I am not cash poor. I like aspirational travel and I can leverage those points for greater value (to me) in business and first class cabins. It's possible that for him, using the points is indeed the best choice.

You've done a good job on researching this.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Don't forget that he and his wife each can sign up for a Bank of America Alaska Airline CC and get 25K points upon approval (meaning they could have their points post within a week or two). That's not enough for a RT but it might be enough to augment his bucket or pay for a OW (does Alaska permit OWs?).

As you have found, there is no effective way to use UR points for partner flights to get to Iceland. If you use UR points, you'll overshoot Iceland and then have to return from the UK or continental Europe. This is a case where I've bought my ticket to Iceland instead of using points. There are nonstop flights from the East Coast. It's a relatively short flight as far as international flights go.

Since my trip, Iceland has restored its partnership with Alaska. Your friend could pursue this should he have AS points or SPG points to transfer to AS.

Your friend will need to decide whether he values 59K UR points or $700 more. I would find it painful to use UR points, but I am not cash poor. I like aspirational travel and I can leverage those points for greater value (to me) in business and first class cabins. It's possible that for him, using the points is indeed the best choice.

You've done a good job on researching this.
Thanks for the insight. That is pretty much what I figured. Personally I would spend the cash also but Im not sure of his situation.