I Think I Need To Reapply For The Chase United MileagePlus Card

Chasing The Points

Administrator
Staff member

About 6 months ago, I decided to close out my Chase MileagePlus Explorer card. Only 2 months ago, I’ve been thinking I made a mistake closing it. The United devaluation affected my thought process because all I ever did was redeem UA miles on business class on partner airlines. Now through various activities, I am earning United miles easily which I still need to write about.

In addition, I’m looking at any cards that can give me a spend bonus because I’ve been making strides chasing the 1x. With the Chase card that I closed, the $25,000 spend I could earn the bonus 10,000 miles. Just 6 months ago, sometimes I was struggling to manufacture spend outside of Walmart, the bane of my existence.

I’ve got a couple of problems:

• I am collecting more United miles is not having enough vacation days to redeem
  • It hasn’t been 24 months since applying for the United MileagePlus Explorer card so I wouldn’t be able to get the new 50k sign up bonus
  • I’ve already double downed into the Star Alliance and want more diversity
What I didn’t realize, when I redeemed the miles on United were just how expensive some of the fuel surcharges are. I said I wouldn’t mind paying the fuel surcharge because I don’t travel much and it’s cheaper than pay out of pocket. But sheesh, it’s almost like buying a mileage earning economy trip on some itineraries.

Either way, because I’m earning boat loads of United miles, the devaluation from 2014 is less of an impact to me and I can continue to use United to redeem.

Continue reading...