Hyatt Screws Me Twice

Xtina

Thought I would share this in case it happens to you:
Hyatt screwed up in posting my diamond upgrade to a reservation. It reflected in my account, but applied to the wrong hotel. I wasn't able to tell the first hotel was upgraded incorrectly as I thought I earned it as a Diamond.
When I didnt get the second real upgrade, I contacted Hyatt.
In the end, they ONLY, and i mean ONLY, have me 5k points for this cluster.
It was clearly their error but the error is worth only 5k points, which we know is a fraction of thee worth of the upgrade in any property worth having it.

So no upgrade, and no real consolation prize. Screwed twice.

Worth double checking and staying on top of in advance. Perhaps rookie or silly advice but worth noting.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Yea this has been an issue for a while. When I became Diamond last year, I recalled someone on FT saying that you have to call in and make sure that they update all your reservations that were booked before you became Diamond. The system is supposed to refresh on the day of your arrival but it's not guaranteed. I supposed that you got a free upgrade to a club room on your first visit so didn't realize it?

Xtina

Yea this has been an issue for a while. When I became Diamond last year, I recalled someone on FT saying that you have to call in and make sure that they update all your reservations that were booked before you became Diamond. The system is supposed to refresh on the day of your arrival but it's not guaranteed. I supposed that you got a free upgrade to a club room on your first visit so didn't realize it?
I had put the upgrade through way before my stay, and i have been diamond for a few years at this point. regardless, the room was so unimpressive and regular that i didnt notice an upgrade. i dont know what the hell happened, honestly.

either way, it is worth remembering. and i wont soon forget.

i do think its utter CRAP that the consolation is 5k points. its a fraction of the value and a slap in the face, i think.

i have 4 more upgrades, no reservations in 2017. 1 stay left in 16, and 3 DSUs left to use in 16. I dont even know what to do with them.

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
What did you do when they offered you the 5K? That's what I was offered by the Intercontinental in Monterrey, for being put in a "wedding party" room with a murphy bed that had THE WORST mattress ever, multiple trips by maintenance to fix the door to the patio, fix the TV, and, of course, when I needed to dry my hair in the morning, no hair dryer.

When I stated the 5K was an insult, it got upped to 10K. I finally, after leaving with a promise that the manager would call me, talked to him for 10 minutes about expectations of a 5 star hotel, etc, and the value of the points (10k <= $50). He finally offered back the 60K I'd paid in points and dollars.

I agree that you got screwed. But sometimes, you can get unscrewed if you are willing to be a PIA to them. Politely, of course. :D

Xtina

What did you do when they offered you the 5K? That's what I was offered by the Intercontinental in Monterrey, for being put in a "wedding party" room with a murphy bed that had THE WORST mattress ever, multiple trips by maintenance to fix the door to the patio, fix the TV, and, of course, when I needed to dry my hair in the morning, no hair dryer.

When I stated the 5K was an insult, it got upped to 10K. I finally, after leaving with a promise that the manager would call me, talked to him for 10 minutes about expectations of a 5 star hotel, etc, and the value of the points (10k <= $50). He finally offered back the 60K I'd paid in points and dollars.

I agree that you got screwed. But sometimes, you can get unscrewed if you are willing to be a PIA to them. Politely, of course. :D

I actually addressed it via phone at first, and they denied anything was wrong. in fact, the woman on the phone seemed pissed!! that i was even daring to call her and interrupt her day. literally, why was i calling her.
she went from 5 to 10k, but i thought that was crap.

then i tried via twitter, and they didnt care either and gave me 5, saying that was all they could offer even tho i said angry lady gave me 10. they told me no.

i am so turned off by their customer service, i am not that interested in them right now. left a really bad taste in my mouth. i am not going for diamond again this year as it makes no financial sense.

maybe next year but they need to step up their game.

any thoughts on getting more honey with my vinegar??!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Yes. Find the name/contact information for the highly valued clients--if they don't have service geared to Diamonds, they should. Barring that, look up the name/contact information for the CEO, and contact him.

I got so annoyed last winter with our newspaper being tossed in the snow instead of on the front porch, that I sent an email to the owner of the paper. He didn't respond. But about a week and a half later, I got a call from the "escalation department". My paper was back on the front porch.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Oh. I completely misread your first post. Misunderstanding on my part. So now yes I understand, I definitely think that you were owed more than a measly 5k points. You had requested to be booked into a suite but then never got it at that hotel, even if you got it at a later hotel. I would definitely be upset. That's why I'm a strickler for email confirmations and checking things online for myself. At the end of the day, the people on the other side of Hyatt are human and humans make mistakes. I like to verify things on my own. Not saying you were wrong in any case, just a personal thing I do. You should have been given enough points to book a suite at a later time since your DSU was "Wasted" in a way.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
I've never heard of a "Wedding party" room. What does that mean? A room where the wedding party would simply get ready and isn't normally used to sleep in?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
cdancer: yes, exactly. Not actually a real room. The "standard" rooms at that Intercontinental were supposed to have fireplaces and a sitting area. This had the execrable Murphy bed, a huge, hard as rocks couch, and an oversized desk. Clearly set up for crowds, not guests of a 5 star hotel.

I was so upset about it that I ended up in tears after the 3rd visit in an hour and a half to fix something that was wrong about the room. That night was supposed to have been the jewel in the crown of our anniversary trip, not a nightmare.

Husband went down to the desk and said: We.Are.Pissed.

On checkout, we made sure they were aware that we still were.