Hyatt Diamond Status Match

jackal3000

Level 2 Member
Is it best do do the status match when applying for the Hyatt CC or just before you complete a stay with them?

Lindy

Level 2 Member
i have the same question. i'd love to find out how these properties situate themselves in the GP scheme.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
You want the status before you get the card.

If you get the card first, you just get two free nights in a standard room.

If you get the status first, then the card, you get two free suite nights instead.
But, I believe you won't get Diamond Benefits during your stay in that situation... I would say you need to evaluate WHICH option would be preferable. You may value the full breakfast, welcome amenity/points, likely upgrade (although not guaranteed) vs. a guaranteed suite?

jonasan

Level 2 Member
I don't think the card offers two free suite nights anymore...? I would still get the status first, then you would benefit from the status during those two free nights in a standard room (best available non-suite w/diamond status guaranteed), which in my experience, has gotten me a suite upgrade in many cases.

goofypluto

Level 2 Member
They did away with the two free nights in a suite about a year or so ago =( I was in the same situation myself since I held off on applying, but it doesn't matter anymore.

Andy

Level 2 Member
I'm going to do this at the beginning of August, but I have some questions, so thought I'd come to the experts :)

1st, my sister-in-law lives in Vegas. My plan was to sign up for the diamond challenge (using my IHG plat elite as a match), book 12 nights at Excalibur ($79/night), then check-in with her the first night. I'd only stay the first night (I can't stay in Vegas for 12 days!), but she could use them for the whole 12 nights if she wanted. Would that stay of 12 nights count towards the entire status match? Are there any Hyatts cheaper than the Excalibur?

2ndly, my wife and I are going to Hong Kong this fall. I wanted to book the HK Grand Hyatt on cash & points, and then use a suite upgrade. Is a suite upgrade possible on a cash & points rate? Are cash & points fares pretty rare? I just decided to do this last night, so I have some reading to do.

Thanks for all your help!

goofypluto

Level 2 Member
Andy - you should be able to get a DSU on points and cash provided there is one available at the time you go. I am doing DSU on points and cash. As for your first question, I don't see why you can't do that. The only thing is when you check out, your SIL will have to check out and pay whatever fees there are if it's not a prepaid rate etc so you might want to add her as a second guest to the reservation in case.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
I'm going to do this at the beginning of August, but I have some questions, so thought I'd come to the experts :)

1st, my sister-in-law lives in Vegas. My plan was to sign up for the diamond challenge (using my IHG plat elite as a match), book 12 nights at Excalibur ($79/night), then check-in with her the first night. I'd only stay the first night (I can't stay in Vegas for 12 days!), but she could use them for the whole 12 nights if she wanted. Would that stay of 12 nights count towards the entire status match? Are there any Hyatts cheaper than the Excalibur?

2ndly, my wife and I are going to Hong Kong this fall. I wanted to book the HK Grand Hyatt on cash & points, and then use a suite upgrade. Is a suite upgrade possible on a cash & points rate? Are cash & points fares pretty rare? I just decided to do this last night, so I have some reading to do.

Thanks for all your help!
I think I would double-check with Hyatt to ensure that stays at the M Life hotels will count towards status -- just in case.

Points + cash, so far, have been fairly available. There is a chart on the Hyatt web site that tells you what the rates are by hotel category.

http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/pointspluscash.jsp

I think the GH HK is a Cat 6 hotel, which would be $150+12,500 points.

jonasan

Level 2 Member
Points + Cash availability has been pretty good for me so far. I think there have only been a couple cases where there wasn't availability for a booking I was looking for, and those bookings were made pretty close to the stay date. If they don't have availability, check back every so often to see if something opens up as there could be cancellations, etc.

Andy

Level 2 Member
Thanks for all the help so far. MMS had an article on Hyatt diamond challenge, and he made it sound like stays at the Excalibur would work, but I just wish I had a data point or writing that confirmed it would work before I dropped $960.

Road Humps

Level 2 Member
Thanks for all the help so far. MMS had an article on Hyatt diamond challenge, and he made it sound like stays at the Excalibur would work, but I just wish I had a data point or writing that confirmed it would work before I dropped $960.
BTW, I spent less than that just by booking P+C stays around home. You may want to do the math and see if you have less stressful options.

Andy

Level 2 Member
I just read a Flyertalk thread (albeit from 2013) that M life stays do NOT count. hmmmmm. I will call the number when I status match, and ask them directly, and also I will make sure they email me the information.

Andy

Level 2 Member
Ok, another scenario - my brother is a consultant, and travels a lot for work. Therefore, he stays at a lot of hotels, and said he'd be willing to help me with the diamond challenge. So what I plan to do is this:

-he'll make me an AU on his company credit card (he gets reimbursed through his company for hotel stays)
-I'll book the rooms under my name, but with his name on the reservation
-I'll pay with the credit card on which I'm his AU
-he'll check in and say I'm getting in later (which I won't be)

does anyone know if Hyatt is stingy about the primary account holder checking in to the hotel, before the guest? I know Marriott is.

Thanks

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
you can book under your own name, then call the hotel and have your friend’s name added to the reservation. Let them know your friend will be checking in 1st.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
Contacted Hyatt about the Diamond status challenge. Here is the reply.
"Currently, we have a Diamond trial membership offer, in which you can receive Diamond status, offering elite membership benefits. Register for our Trial Offer byOctober 31, 2014, and receive a 60-day trial Diamond membership. Simply provide a copy of a current competitive hotel statement that reflects comparable top tier status within that program with stay activity. Comparable competitor tiers to Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond include:

Hilton VIP or Hilton Diamond VIP
Marriott Gold or Marriott Platinum
Priority Club Platinum
Starwood Platinum Preferred Guest

Please submit documentation to Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service atgoldpassport@hyatt.com and allow 24 hours for processing. Your 60-day Diamond trial will begin on the date of enrollment in the offer.

To maintain your Diamond status through February 2016, stay twelve (12) eligible nights at any Hyatt hotel within 60 days of enrollment. You’ll also receive 1,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points on your first six (6) eligible nights at any Hyatt hotel within the 60 days of enrollment, up to a maximum of 6,000 bonus points. For a full list of Diamond benefits, please visit goldpassport.com."

milesaway733

Level 2 Member
Sounds like you would be able to earn credit towards the challenge.

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer-service/faqs/faqs.jsp#900223990
Do M life-Eligible Stays and M life-Eligible Nights at participating M life resorts count towards Hyatt Gold Passport tier status?
Yes, M life-Eligible Stays and M life-Eligible Nights at participating M life resorts count towards Hyatt Gold Passport tier status.

Andy

Level 2 Member
Sounds like you would be able to earn credit towards the challenge.

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/customer-service/faqs/faqs.jsp#900223990
Do M life-Eligible Stays and M life-Eligible Nights at participating M life resorts count towards Hyatt Gold Passport tier status?
Yes, M life-Eligible Stays and M life-Eligible Nights at participating M life resorts count towards Hyatt Gold Passport tier status.
I wonder if Hyatt Gold Passport tier status is the same as challenge nights. When I initiate it later in August, I'm going to call and ask before I definitively do it.

Thanks!

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
FYI. My hubby and I used each of our two-free nights at Hyatt Zilara. We paid $20/night to upgrade to a quieter room. To my surprise, it shows as a stay with 4 qualifying nights instead of 4 award nights.

smittytabb

Staff member
I wonder if Hyatt Gold Passport tier status is the same as challenge nights. When I initiate it later in August, I'm going to call and ask before I definitively do it.

Thanks!
I completed the Diamond Challenge at the end of April. I had booked a stay in Vegas at MLife property after signing up. I called HGP to find out if nights at MLife would count for the Diamond Challenge. I was told that they would NOT count for Challenge nights. I ended up not staying as a result so I don't have a data point about whether they would have or not. My understanding is they do count for as eligible stays and nights for tier status, but not for the Challenge.

Andy

Level 2 Member
I completed the Diamond Challenge at the end of April. I had booked a stay in Vegas at MLife property after signing up. I called HGP to find out if nights at MLife would count for the Diamond Challenge. I was told that they would NOT count for Challenge nights. I ended up not staying as a result so I don't have a data point about whether they would have or not. My understanding is they do count for as eligible stays and nights for tier status, but not for the Challenge.
Thanks, that's what I've read on Flyertalk as well

satz

Level 2 Member
Hyatt House and Hyatt Place
(Even better if you BRG it) :)

2500 + $50 is not bad... Usually cheaper than BRG
There are some Hyatt Place in the ATL area that go for $50-$55 + tax on weekends, that's even better :)

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
Couple questions about the Hyatt Diamond Challenge.

1. Can I apply for the challenge today but requested the challenge to start Nov 1?
2. If I book 2 rooms (same day, same hotel), will that count as 2 nights? My friend will stay in the other room.

niehlin2

Level 2 Member
1. According to Hyatt, the 60-day Diamond trial will begin on the date of enrollment in the offer. You should wait until late October to apply. It will take 24 hours tomprocess.
2. You get credit for the night/room you stay. You won't get 2 nights credit if you book 2 rooms (one night per room).

gilapoin21

Level 2 Member
1. According to Hyatt, the 60-day Diamond trial will begin on the date of enrollment in the offer. You should wait until late October to apply. It will take 24 hours tomprocess.
2. You get credit for the night/room you stay. You won't get 2 nights credit if you book 2 rooms (one night per room).
1. There are rumors about benefits changing. That's why I'd like to lock it in if possible
2. Bummer. I don't get this rule since I'd still be paying for 2 rooms.

Thanks.

satz

Level 2 Member
1. There are rumors about benefits changing. That's why I'd like to lock it in if possible

Thanks.
I would venture that someone could book a whole block of rooms for an event (conference, wedding, etc) and get Diamond status right away that way. They might want to prevent that by giving only 1 room per night towards status.

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja

Thanks.
What're the changes? If I have to... I'll start my match soon.

mmargel

Level 2 Member
1. According to Hyatt, the 60-day Diamond trial will begin on the date of enrollment in the offer. You should wait until late October to apply. It will take 24 hours tomprocess
You can request the challenge now. Submit the documentation and get accepted. You can then specify when you want the challenge to start. I wanted to make sure I didn't run into any "issues" when asking for the challenge so I did it about a month before I wanted it to start. As I recall the email said I met the criteria and to contact Gold Passport when I wanted to start the 60 day clock