Hyatt credit card free night upgrade

PVM

Level 2 Member
So I signed up for the Hyatt Credit card and got the 2 free nights after spending $1000. I was wondering if the 2 free nights can be upgraded (using points or cash)? Has anyone here done this or know if it can be done?

tly

Level 2 Member
I don't think you can upgrade with points, but if you call the hotel directly they might be willing to upgrade with a cash payment.

Vinyl Slider

Level 2 Member
I booked my 2014 night (free annual night after the first year) at the Grand Hyatt Denver. A number of cash upgrades were offered in the email confirming the initial reservation (to a suite, club access, etc.). Of course, whether those are worth the value depends on property, number in your party, etc..

PVM

Level 2 Member
I booked my 2014 night (free annual night after the first year) at the Grand Hyatt Denver. A number of cash upgrades were offered in the email confirming the initial reservation (to a suite, club access, etc.). Of course, whether those are worth the value depends on property, number in your party, etc..
Did you make the booking online or via the reservations phone number? Just wondering if it makes a difference...

Vinyl Slider

Level 2 Member
I called in via the reservations number. Each time I've tried to redeem the free nights, it seems the particular hotel (or system) doesn't allow me to complete the transaction online. But, I've never had a problem redeeming over the phone presuming general space was available. The follow-up confirmation email had the links to the cash upgrade offers (we took advantage of club access, as there were four of us in the room, and we easily exceeded the cost in drinks, dinner hors d'oeuvres, snacks, and breakfast the next morning.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I haven't tried this, but credit card certificate nights are essentially points nights. So, I would think you should be able to upgrade with extra points.

I redeemed the two night certs before and couldn't pay for an upgrade mainly because it was during the french open, but I was upgraded anyway. I wasn't able to upgrade via points or payment.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I redeemed the two night certs before and couldn't pay for an upgrade mainly because it was during the french open, but I was upgraded anyway. I wasn't able to upgrade via points or payment.
Wow, that's not bad, scoring a suite upgrade on a certificate stay. Do you have some kick-ass status with them or what?

Last edited:
I wasn't upgrade to a suite, but i was upgraded to a better room that was on the top floor of the building. I had diamond status. However, my parents did a combo of night redemption and points redemption at the same time and had diamond and were in a normal room. So it is hit or miss.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yes, I was doing a room on points at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto and they had us in a regular room on the first night, then put us in an amazing two room corner suite with two baths for the next two nights. It was not called a suite, but it was one. I am Diamond.

FlyingExplorer

Travel, Tastes, & Tennis
I wasn't upgrade to a suite, but i was upgraded to a better room that was on the top floor of the building. I had diamond status. However, my parents did a combo of night redemption and points redemption at the same time and had diamond and were in a normal room. So it is hit or miss.
Standard upgrades are pretty standard, independent of rate, particularly with Hyatt.

PVM

Level 2 Member
I'm a platinum gold passport member. I'm planning on staying a total of six nights at the Park Hyatt, Buenos Aires, Argentina. I've booked the last 2 nights with a points + cash rate (10,000 + $125) (it was only available for the last 2 nights). I have 2 nights free with the credit card and plan on getting the other 2 nights using just points. At this hotel (category 5), it does not show any other room other than standard available for redemption using points (20,000 / night). No Club room and no suites. There is no club at this Park Hyatt.

The points+cash rate booking that I did (for the last 2 nights), they offered e-upgrades for money. I'm debating if I should use points for the first 2 nights and certs for the middle 2 nights OR certs for the first 2 nights and points for the middle 2 nights.

Has anyone stayed at this hotel? If so, were they upgraded (with Platinum status, not diamond). I wouldn't mind paying a little for upgrading the rooms but don't know if they allow you to upgrade if you get the room using points or certs...